My Final Multichannel Update

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldenBoy, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Well, many of you may be familiar with my recent upgrade of my multichannel setup. I just thought I'd post one final update for you all.

As you may know, I bought a Sony STR-DA4ES A/V receiver, a pair of Tannoy Mercury MX1-Ms for surrounds, a Tannoy Mercury MXC-M center speaker, and a JBL PB10 powered sub, all to match up with my Tannoy Reveals as front L/R. I am still using my Sony C555ES for CD/SACD playback and a JVC XV-SA602SL for DVD-V/DVD-A playback.

Now, you may know that originally I wanted to still use my B&K pre-amp coupled with my QSC power-amp for stereo playback, but then decided to forgo the B&K, using the 4ES as a pre and the QSC for stereo playback. After I tried Todd Fredericks' suggestion for incorporating the B&K, I decided that I preferred the sound better in multichannel just using the A/V Receiver. Well, I have also decided now to part with the QSC as well, as I have found after a while of extensive listening now, that the A/V receiver alone actually sounds better, cleaner and more dynamic than my original separates setup in stereo, or with the Sony/QSC combination in stereo. So, I guess it paid off buying such a nice 'premium' ES receiver. Everything is relative I suppose. I'm still not opposed to someday purchasing a power-amp and using the A/V as a pre-amp only when in stereo, but we'll see.

I have not yet had a chance to precisely adjust the setup with a sound level metre (the one I had was tossed in the toilet by my 3 year old cousin :eek: ), but even doing it by ear alone, the sound is excellent and about 10 steps above what I had before. The new Tannoys have blended seamlessly with my Tannoy Reveals and the JBL sub is superb.

So, outside of my well documented problems here with trying to eliminate a hum whenever I connect anything connected to the antenna or satellite dish ( I'm still working on it, for now I just don't hook up the TV, satellite or VCR to the A/V Receiver, nor do I connect the DVD-A player to the TV. I'm forced to use my Sony monitor using an external converter box from ViewSonic which actually gives me a better picture thant the TV I was using anyway so...), everything is going smoothly and I'm, so far, very pleased.

And, that's all folks. I thought you'd all like to know. Now, where's that David Bowie SACD....

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

You'll be tweaking it over time. I know I did for about three months. Even with my cheap little system.

Enjoy!

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

So when is the party, GB? We're itching to start the New Year off right! :D

Glad it worked out well for you! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.