My first actual stereo: Zenith portable! What was yours? Do you have a photograph?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My first stereo, Zenith portable, the "Green Ghost" my mom called it.

My dad brought it home for me in May of 1966 (yes, I remember the month, I was so excited). His cousin worked in the music industry somehow and could get stuff at a big discount.

I was all mono up to that point, Webcor phonograph with 4" speaker. (A birthday gift in 1962, paid for with Blue Chip Stamps).

This green monster had actual bass and treble controls and a balance control.

First stereo song I played on it? "I'm Looking Through You," Beatles "RUBBER SOUL" Capitol stereo LP. The voices were coming out of there and the music was coming out of here. If you turned the balance control you could just hear the music; the other way, just the voices. MAGIC. I thought I died and went to music heaven.

It's true our old mono Hi-Fi (left at our old house in Van Nuys because it was a built-in) had much better sonic punch, but this stereo was amazing to this kid. Still is!

Did you ever take a photo of your first stereo? I never did, this pic is from the Internet...

If you have one though, can you post it here? I love looking at stuff like this.

10612732_735913766489482_2279349158369286133_n.jpg

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Mine was a hand me down suitcase model from the parents, and looked vaguely something like this.

[​IMG]

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Unfortunately, no photo. But I got it in late 1970, I was 13. It was an all plastic little thing by a company called Arvin. All white with red plastic grills on the speakers....6" turntable. It had two volume knobs, one for each speaker and yes, it was true stereo seperation. I can still remember smiling those first few seconds of Wah Wah with the seperated guitars on each channel. ATMP was the first album I played on it. I only had this thing for about a year and subsequently graduated to a portable with fold out speakers made by Symphonic with an automatic BSR turntable.

4. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

I don't have a picture of it, but I remember my mom letting me buy a console stereo from JC Penney outlet store in the Southcenter shopping area in Tukwila, WA when I was about 12-13.

5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I had a green thing in 1973 or thereabouts. I was 3ish. I didn’t appreciate stereo until many years later. I had a Sears thing with tape and record player and a four or so band EQ. Can’t find any links though.

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

No photos extant, but my mom bought a P/E (Perpetuum Ebner) radio/phonograph when we passed through Germany en route to Lahore, Pakistan in 1960. Had two detachable speakers, and a 5- or 6-band radio section(!). Played 16, 33.3, 45 and 78.

That machine was where I heard Elvis, Buddy Holly, the Everlys, Ravi Shankar, Ali Akbar Khan and many others for the first time. When I bought With The Beatles and A Hard Day's Night in Delhi in '64, those got played on it too.

Had a headshell where you had to turn the cartridge over to play 78's, of which we had many -- there was apparently a big installed base of old cranked Victrola-style 78 players in India and Pakistan, left over from the British days (in fact, the Punjab Club where we went to watch cricket, had a big old Victrola or similar in the billiards room, playing old music-hall, foxtrots, etc.) You could buy the Beatles on 78 on the subcontinent!

Very good times ...

7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

70's National/Panasonic console. That's when I became the master of disastering LP's and 45.
    Right after that began my quest in cassette tapes till today.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  8. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Used my parent's console stereo for quite a while until I could afford to buy my first setup. Lawn mowing money bought my Sony STR-6055 and I had it modded years later by a friend to add Pre Out/Main In jacks on the back. I added an SAE Mark XXX1B amp (on the shelf above) driving a pair of (forgive me) BIC Venturi's. This photo is around 1972 or 1973.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I used to be able to post images on the page but not tonight.

9. Lloyds console that my parents put in our new basement rec-room in the mid-1970's. First album: KISS Alive! Those 7 watts per channel blew my mind. And you could tape stuff! I was in heaven & only 10 years old...

[​IMG]

10. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Something like this perhaps?

[​IMG]

Jon H., CDV, DK Pete and 2 others like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

I didn't even know what stereo meant, actually until I did. I thought it meant sound coming out of two speakers instead of one. I was unaware it meant different sounds coming out of each speaker. I found that out by accident walking with my parents at the May Co. in Topanga Plaza in 1965, Herb Alpert playing on a big stereo console and when I walked by, I caught it; drums over here, other stuff over there and....Even stuff in the middle.

But I didn't lay awake dreaming about it until my friend got a portable stereo and played me each speaker over the phone of Rubber Soul. Even over the phone I couldn't believe it. It was then that I started bugging my dad for a stereo.

12. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

My first was a mono cassette-corder. My first stereo was a walkman. Never had a turntable.

13. Steve Hoffman

Like other kids of my generation I quickly learned that an album that said "STEREO" on it might not be. Spending a dollar more for a stereo Animals Best, Herman's Hermit's Best, Rolling Stones, etc. was frustrating because they were just fake stereo. I couldn't understand if the Beatles could do it, why couldn't the Stones or the Dave Clark Five? I made sure to never waste an extra buck on a fake stereo LP..

If I saw an album on M-G-M that said "Sounds Great In Stereo" on the front, I bought the mono.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yes my friend. Wow...that's a nice little mind trip.

Exotiki likes this.
  15. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Tubes, Horns, tape, analog!

Then and Now:

Okinawa Japan circa 1970. I ended up with the gear, a bunch of records, and tapes when I was around 8 and used it up until I got out of high school. It was the beginning of what has become 51 years now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I don’t recall who made it, but my first record player played 78’s. You had to screw in the needles. I remember they cost 10 for 25 cents. I played my parent’s old 78’s mostly. We got our first stereo console in 1967, a Zenith. First album I ever played on it was Piper at the Gates of Dawn on Tower Records.

Jon H., astro70 and Steve Hoffman like this.
  17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

GE Trimline:

[​IMG]

It was my older brother's, not mine.

I had a hard time finding a photo of one in the same color.

18. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

My dad had the same headphones. Loved those! Panasonic, if I remember correctly.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

At that stage of the game, stereo simply meant stereo to me. But it didn't take long to start with the nitpicking and what was real and what was fake and what it all meant from a technical standpoint. Shortly after I got my Symphonic, my parents got a Capehart console. It was then that I started in with thinking things like, "I don't like the sound quality."

Jon H. and Steve Hoffman like this.
  20. Classic Car Guy

It was so fun in the 80's being a student with no budget browsing and looking at high fidelity system watching people at Roger Sound Labs and Pacific Stereo in Torrance, California. Youre entering a High Fidelity Haven (mountain of gold) I could spend hours on looking and dropped jaw at promising 70's/80's system right in front of you fresh off the box.
    Honestly stereos back then are more expensive...BUT., its still affordable for cost of living is low. with $200.00 1 bedroom rental, .68 cents a gallon of gas and lower cost in college, Bingo. I was able to earn my first hifi cassette deck in 5 months from waiting.:nauga:
    [​IMG]

21. Steve Hoffman

On the other hand, when I actually DID get a Rolling Stones album in true stereo (Aftermath) I thought it sucked. Distant, echoey and strangely unsatisfying. I discovered (to my surprise) that my mono London 45s of the same stuff sounded way better. That really confused the **** out of me.

22. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

I would have used my parents till sometime in high school. Then my dad got me my own system. It was a Rotel RX-850A receiver, Sony six disc changer (that beat the crap out of my cds) and a pair of Celestion 3 speakers.

That Rotel was pretty nice. And I absolutely loved the Celestions. They were a great little pair of speakers. But after a being used through my college years (and being blasted at a lot of parties) and moving around the globe and back, they were just beyond any hope. If I saw another pair I’d probably grab them for my sun room, garage or workshop.

Steve Hoffman and CDV like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very cool…thanks for posting that.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  24. Classic Car Guy

Speaking of.... what about car stereo? How come my old alpine cassette tuner sounds better than my car stereo today sounds like plastic..:biglaugh:

25. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

The major concern for me was W&F. Luckily, I did not hear excessive wobble from my cassette-corder when playing back my usual fare. Frequency response? Dynamic range? C'mon. Later, CD became a revelation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.