My first DVD credit!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jamie Tate, Mar 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I've been fortunate enough to have been left out of several movies that I recorded music for :rolleyes:... Prince Of Egypt, All the Pretty Horses, Hi Lo Country, and a few I'm ashamed to admit to. Well, I got a DVD of Daddy and Them in the mail today that actually included my name in the end credits.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000E32V1/002-5661169-0260023?v=glance

Back in 1998 I was in the middle of a six month run recording and mixing an album when we took a week long break to do the soundtrack for a movie Billy Bob Thornton was doing, the follow up to Sling Blade. It turned out to be one of my favorite projects that I've ever been a part of. Billy Bob was great and absolutely hilarious. Jim Varney stopped by a few times and I got to record the title track for a John Prine album (a duet with Iris Demint). Travis Tritt played on it as did Dwight Yoakam and Barry Beckett. The music was written by Marty Stuart and he and his band played it all live in a small room, amps and drums right there next to each other. It was mostly surf type music with a few pretty chord instrumental songs thrown in (as well as a great version of Ghost Riders In The Sky with Dwight and a kooky version of When Johnny Comes Marching Home). Unfortunately, the movie is kinda slow and up until today I'd only seen a three hour version which made things even slower. You do get to hear Andy Griffith say "corn holed" a few times which I think is reason enough to watch the whole movie. It's also Jim "Ernest" Varney's last movie.

I finally watched the released version today. I frantically ran to the closing credits and there was my name, properly spelled!! Whoohooo!!!!

The music sounds like they time crunched it (I guess to make the music written for a 3 1/2 hour movie fit into a 100 minute movie) and the original Dolby Surround mixes I did have been made into 5.1 mixes. I asked (begged) to mix it in 5.1 but that format wasn't as popular back then so they said no. Doesn't matter though as most of the songs are from my live to 2 track mixes I did during the performances. That was Marty's choice not mine. Still, I think they came out just fine.

Look at who's in this thing, Billy Bob Thornton, Laura Dern, Diane Ladd, Kelly Preston, Andy Griffith, John Prine, Jim Varney, Ben Affleck and Jamie Lee Curtis yet Miramax didn't want to release it. I guess they smelled a flop. The movie's just not as good as the music.

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Pretty sweet, Jamie! I'm gonna add it to the ol' netflix queue :D

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Congrats Jamie!!! :righton: On which John Prine album is that duet (title track) with Iris Dement? John Prine's In Spite of Ourselves album is fantastic, and Iris duets with him on several songs. I did an unsuccessful search on allmusic.com

4. Jamie Tate

That's the song. We did that song several times without Iris. It's funny to hear John sing Iris' parts (I caught him once sniffin my undies.) :laugh: Finally they just tried it with Marty and John on acoustic and John and Iris doing the vocals all live. Jim Varney was there that day and everyone was in a such a good mood. He made all of us laugh so hard we were gasping for air and they did this song as a performance for Jim, knowing how sick he was at the time.

Here's another credit that was botched up.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

great story! I'll remember it next time I hear the album (which will probably be soon, as my wife keeps it in constant rotation!)

(BTW - I was looking for the "title track" to the movie, that's why I came up empty!)

6. Jamie Tate

Oops, sorry. I meant the title track to John's record. It plays during the movie credits (time compressed as it is :realmad: )

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Congrats Jamie!

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Jamie, congrats!!!!!!!

Hope you'll continue to post here now that you've achieved this level of fame! :D

mud-:D

9. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Jamie,

Good going!

Bob :D

10. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Wow! That's our SONG! My wife and I played that throughout our honeymoon. :)

Oh, and congratulations Jamie! :righton:

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

JAMIE, YOU HANDSOME DEVIL, WAY TO GO!!!

Don't let it go to your head, is all....;)

ED :ed:

12. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Way to go, Jamie!!!!!!!

13. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I'm actually on a DVD, Amanda Marshall's Montreal show. My brother and I are in the audience.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Don't you just hate it when they put a space between the "yes" and the "man". :D Congrats on the recognition, Jamie.
    My brother appears in a bunch of scenes in the Billy Crystal "61*" movie. He was a "featured extra", which meant that in addition to $50 a day and access to the catering table, he had hair and wardrobe. This in no way makes him famous, but it did make my mom's dream of him getting a circa-1961 haircut finally come true. :)

Regards,

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Great news! Congratulations, Jamie! :)

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Congrats, Jamie.

Never heard of this movie...Sounds interesting..

17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Good job, Jamie! :righton:

Jim W

18. Jamie Tate

Just a warning to anyone that may watch this movie. There's a lot, I mean LOT of foul language, and I don't mean chickens. Things get pretty descriptive. You'd be embarrassed to watch it with your mom, kids or priest. :)

19. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Way to go, Jamie!!!!

20. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I watched the movie this past week and it does stink...I think it was trying to be a comedy (its about a very noisy white trash family). One interesting thing is the relationship of Laura Dern and Billy Bob....they were real lovers at one time till ole Billy Bob dumped her for Angeline Jolie. I can see why after watching this movie.

But the music is excellent and I did see Jamie's music credit at the end.

21. Jamie Tate

Billy Bob had just finished filming Pushing Tin, which is where he met Angelina. He would talk to Laura Dern and then call Angelina. It was a big secret at the time.

22. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Can I have your autograph? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.