My Foobar setup with pics - Computer Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by portisphish, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

No, I'm not calibrating my monitor. Too much trouble. Please explain, "I like the design of the first one better".

Anyway the image in post 124 was just photoshop. This is the actual screen grab here with increased contrast to all the images:

[​IMG]

By the way, when you view these with a white background, the contrast looks like crap. I view this site with a black background.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like the one you posted with the LED bars as well as the VU meters.

I also use the black theme on this site because it's easier on my eyes. I was pissed when Pono went to a white background.

Since your monitor is not properly calibrated and mine is, your screengrab shown here does not have much contrast. It is difficult to see the wording on the buttons and the meters. They are dark and dull. The only thing I can conclude is that you are hyper-sensitive to light. Living in the desert may cure you of that. :D

3. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Do you have photoshop? Can you show me an image that looks right to you?

What I'm perplexed about is you say it's dark. In which case if my monitor is too dark, why am I able to see it fine?

BTW, the font above the buttons is using RGB 10,170,240. That's far from being dark. Plus the fonts go even brighter when you play a track.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  4. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Ok, I think we're on the wrong wave-length. When you say not enough contrast, I was thinking more black level. I think the issue is not enough contrast AND brightness.

Take a look at the VU meters and the button fonts and let me know if it's better or worse. I haven't changed anything else yet.

[​IMG]

Grant likes this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Foobar isn't color manged. It doesn't adjust the color for images with embedded color profiles. It doesn't compensate for monitor color profile settings. You aren't going to get accurate color with it for people with a different monitor. The best you can do is make the colors and brightness look correct for you on your own monitor. Things like black level, the difference in shadows, the difference in subtle color overlays, and such, are all highly dependent on the monitor is profiled and how the application displaying the image handles color profiles.

Ideally you'll have your monitor calibrated using a device like a ColorMunki Smile or a DataColor Spyder. And have your monitor calibrated to a common standard like sRGB. That way other people who also have their monitor calibrated to sRGB would have a chance of seeing the same colors and brightness as you do. But even that's not guaranteed if the application (like Foobar) doesn't do color calibration, especially for people with newer IPS or wide gamut displays.

wilejoe likes this.
  6. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

My monitor chokes on the first test at lagom.nl. It can't display all the individual bars at any level. About the only thing this monitor does well is blacks. The blacks are better than any PC CRT monitor I've ever owned. I bought a 24 inch BenQ "LED" monitor last year and the blacks were so bad I gave it away.

7. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I think this looks better. The problem I was having was when I work on images, I turn the brightness UP. But my brightness was up too high. I had the Gamma cranked to 1.55. Most people set it around 1.00. So I ended up creating darker images to compensate for that.

I kind of miss the green. Now everything is blue. The peak meters look good blue, so I changed the shading of everything else to match. Anyway, I'm out of time. I only have one more day to finish this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Grant likes this.
  8. Grant

I cannot see the image you posted.

9. Grant

This is better!

10. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I'll post this tomorrow. V1.3.9 came out so I have to do an update.

William Barty likes this.
  11. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

Look forward to using it, thanks,

John

12. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

cool thread, Foobar only?

13. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

In some cases I refer to this as DarkERone but this is still considered Tedgo's Darkone V4. It's just a tweaked layout with extra WSH Panels.

Requirements:

Windows 7/8/10. XP may has issues. (I have not tested it on Windows 10. If Tedgo's original Darkone layout works the same, then this will too.)
    8GB ram minimum and a video card.
    1920 / 1680 / 1440 screen resolution. (I could not make one version scale to various screen sizes without making compromises. It will not display properly smaller than 1440. If your screen size is higher than 1920, you'll have to run it minimized.)

If your PC is slow loading/running programs or has tons of bloat-ware, than this probably won't run well.

When scrolling up and down, you may get instability with the Scroll Text and Spectrum Analyzer. If that bothers you, then turn those "OFF" until you're done scrolling.

DarkERone has more images and components. If you find it slow or slower than Tedgo's original Darkone layout, then try V2. (More on that below).

One of these days I'll release a scaled back version with a few less bells and whistles, to increase speed.

Credits:

Darkone V4 by Tedgo - http://tedgo.deviantart.com/art/DarkOne-v4-360862076
    JSPlaylist / JSSmoothlist / Coverflow by Br3tt aka Falstaff >> http://br3tt.deviantart.com
    Scroll Text: kgena_ua. Modifed AHAPXICT for DarkOne.

With a few ideas from vo7210 at hdvietnam.com. I found his skin a couple months back. DarkEROne probably would have turned out a little differently if I hadn't seen his own Darkone skin. You can download it here:

http://www.hdvietnam.com/diendan/4-...obar2000-skin-darkone-v4-116.html#post8104104

(Oh, and on a side note... I did not copy his circular lightup buttons...Total coincidence...And his are Java based.)

Coverflow:
    http://br3tt.deviantart.com/art/WSH-CoverFlow-290788027

Scan the covers of your albums without scrolling through your playlist.

* middle click on cover > Send album tracks to specific playlist "CoverFlow View"
    * keyboard keys : left/right arrows, Home/End, page up/down, spacebar to set focus on the centered album, Return key to play ...
    * Type as you Search feature : type artist name with keyboard to automatically set the focus on its first album

(These functions only work if you click on or above the album cover first)

To access settings, hover mouse ABOVE the covers title.

NGplaylist: Foobar2000's default playlist. Personally, I never use it.

ELPlaylist*: Darkone's default playlist. This one is getting kind of passé, IMO, but it has lots of customizing features. Right click / Settings.

JSPlaylist: A slick looking WSH Panel mode by Br3tt. Works well with Darkone. Wallpaper functions much better. Right click / Panel Settings. More functions if you Right Click on the Header Toolbar. (Tip: If you use Folder Structure, don't click on the Toolbar...except if you want to adjust the length). If you do, Right Click on the Toobar, and select Groups/Apply Group Sorting /Folder Structure. This will correct the formatting. You can hide the Toolbar in the settings).

JSSmoothlist**: Another nice WSH Panel mode by Br3tt, currently in development. (Beta). This is sort of a scaled back version of JSPlaylist, to increase speed. I find myself using this exclusively now. This replaces ELPlaylist on the V2 version. (There is no Settings Panel for this...To access settings: Shift/Right Click/Properties.)

* Available on Darkerone V1 only. Note: I have disabled the wallpaper function. It takes WAY too much memory. Even on Tedgo's layout it slows things down.
    ** Available on Darkerone V2 only.

I personally use Folder Structure for my playlists so the JSPlaylist and Smoothlist are tweaked for that. I've also made a few other tweaks to these playlists, so if you replace them with future updates from Br3tt they won't look the same.

HOW TO RUN:

NO NEED TO INSTALL. DarkERone is completely PORTABLE. It comes with Foobar2000.exe (V1.3.9). You can stick the folder on your desktop or in any directory and run it right away. (Just run Foobar2000.exe) You do not need to move the files to your Program Files (x86) or AppDate directories. You don't even need to move the included fonts into your fonts directory. This way it's completely separate from your existing Foobar2000., so your original won't be changed in any way. Down the road you may want to make it "un-portable". If so, you'll have to move the included fonts into your fonts directory.

[​IMG]

There are two versions: V1 and V2.

V1 has Darkone's Elplaylist.
    V2 omits ELPlaylist for JSSmoothlist. (Recommended for slower PC's or if you don't use ELPlaylist)

Each version comes with your choice of three screen resolutions: 1920 / 1680 / 1440. Check your resolution before downloading.

DOWNLOAD V1:

1920:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz7ad7cldmzfm5x/foobar2000 DarkerOne (1920).rar?dl=0

1680:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7fae8wa11xl6md/foobar2000 DarkerOne (1680).rar?dl=0

1440:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0cgirh12q54jql/foobar2000 DarkerOne (1440.rar?dl=0

DOWNLOAD V2:

1920 V2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5lxnb1yvqtgn9b/foobar2000 DarkerOne (1920) - V2.rar?dl=0

1680 V2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tw0ax61ccuo8x8r/foobar2000 DarkerOne (1680) - V2.rar?dl=0

1440 v2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gireroyfdshzxaj/foobar2000 DarkerOne (1440 - V2.rar?dl=0

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  14. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

Thank you Majestyk very much for letting us have this, it's fantastic!!!:pineapple:

15. William Barty

William Barty Forum Resident

Thanks so much for your effort and generosity in sharing, Majestyk. Very cool stuff.

16. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Well said. Truly appreciate this cool share as well Majestyk...

17. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I noticed some issues with the Coverflow. It wasn't finding all the artwork for me. It also had a funky border around the artwork. So I made an update. If it's working ok for you, don't bother changing anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3e4d3q80czgy6i/coverflow.rar?dl=0

To make changes HIGHLIGHT and COPY from this text file. (Make sure wordwrap is OFF). Once in foobar, you hover your mouse over the Coverflow panel (center/top) BUT NOT ON THE ARTWORK. Hover it in a dark area above the scrollbar. Then SHIFT and RIGHT CLICK at the same time. You'll get three options. RELOAD/CONFIGURE/PROPERTIES.

OR

Hover your mouse where the album title is displayed (above the artwork) and a drop down box will pop up.

Click CONFIGURE

You'll open WSH Panel. SELECT ALL and DELETE. PASTE the text from the text file. Click OK to close. The changes won't take effect until you go to PROPERTIES. Select CLEAR and then APPLY and OK.

Tommy SB likes this.
  18. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

I've downloaded Foobar a few times over and end up quickly deleting it because I can't get my head around it. It's need to put seemingly importing every audio file on my PC when I prefer to have complete autonomy on what is in there. I like the iTunes layout of showing the album covers of albums ordered by artist alphabetically, and then album chronologically, but I only really use it as some kind of ornamentation because I exclusively listen to music on Winamp (or Spotify if it's not on my computer).

I like your original layout, and I'm inspired to maybe get Foobar back again and have a serious fiddle around to see if I can get it to match my own (admittedly specific, almost obsessive) preferences.

19. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Give it a try. There is nothing to install. It could be slower, depending on your PC. But that being said, I just tried it on my new i5 PC (yeah, I know i5 is getting old) and it zips along nicely. "V2" is even faster.

stunner2020 likes this.
  20. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

I've been fiddling around with some Java script and making a skin for some guys at a community radio station.
    Functionality is their desire - so it ain't pretty.

[​IMG]

It's kinda nice that I worked out how to get an "Ends @" ETA comparing system time against time remaining - that took some effort because I needed to work in absolute seconds, then reformat to normal separated HH:MM:SS time.
    Nice big buttons for clarity. There's a "Break" function which is just "stop after selected" from playlist attributes. Also a switch to go play all or play and stop mode.
    Not all my work, as I kind of butchered code that I found else where and took the nuts and bolts from it to do what I needed.

By the way I worked out some syntax to convert ReplayGain values (scanned with fb2k) into a LUFS column display. So long as one doesn't modify the scanned ebur128 gain, then the column will show the calculated integrated loudness of the track.
    It just uses the target of -18.00 LUFS and does the math and decimal shifting to get an absolute LUFS value.
    Just copy the code line you want and create a custom column in the playlist.

Code:
    Track Gain Only Syntax:
    Only looks at Track replaygain values.

################################################
    $if([%ReplayGain_track_gain%],$puts(LUFS,$sub(-1800,$add($cut(%replaygain_track_gain%,1)$right([%ReplayGain_track_gain%],5),$mul([%ReplayGain_track_gain%],100))))$div($get(LUFS),100).$right($get(LUFS),2), )

Track Gain Priority:
    Uses Track RG values if they exist, else uses Album RG values.

$if([%ReplayGain_track_gain%],$puts(RG,%ReplayGain_Track_gain%),$if([%ReplayGain_album_gain%],$puts(RG,%ReplayGain_album_gain%)))$puts(LUFS,$sub(-1800,$add($cut($get(RG),1)$right($get(RG),5),$mul($get(RG),100))))$if([%ReplayGain_track_gain%],$div($get(LUFS),100).$right($get(LUFS),2)t,$if([%ReplayGain_album_gain%],$div($get(LUFS),100).$right($get(LUFS),2)a))

Album Gain Priority:
    Uses Album RG values if they exist, else uses Album RG values.

$if([%ReplayGain_album_gain%],$puts(RG,%ReplayGain_album_gain%),$if([%ReplayGain_track_gain%],$puts(RG,%ReplayGain_track_gain%)))$puts(LUFS,$sub(-1800,$add($cut($get(RG),1)$right($get(RG),5),$mul($get(RG),100))))$if([%ReplayGain_album_gain%],$div($get(LUFS),100).$right($get(LUFS),2)a,$if([%ReplayGain_track_gain%],$div($get(LUFS),100).$right($get(LUFS),2)t))

Dino and Hymie the Robot like this.
  21. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

This is an AWESOME skin for foobar! Does anyone know if the foobar2000 controller remote app can be used with the portable version?

22. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Nothing really new here. I updated the Coverflow on V1 & V2 files above (more on that in the next post) and I tweaked the colors of the JS Smooth Browser in V2. (I previously called it JS Smooth List)

Also, I am just reposting the screen grabs so they are on the same page as the above download links. (The screen grabs on page 5 were't up to date anyway). These grabs are in 1680 so the Waveform/Seekbar is taller than it would appear on 1920. Click on the photo to view in the original size.

JS Playlist by Br3tt (V1 & V2):
    ("Dark ER One" only lights up when in stop mode)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JS Smooth Browser by Br3tt (V2 only):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

EL Playlist by Tedgo (V1 only):

[​IMG]

Bottom Display Panel:

1. Ability to change the colors of the display
    2. All new peak level meter (designed by me)
    3. Spectrum Analyzer
    4. Scrolling Text by kgena_ua
    5. An extension of Tedgo's V3 Display (Also used on the Top Panel)

I also redesigned the VU meters. (I didn't like the other McIntosh style meters that were out there)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  24. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

If you haven't downloaded Darkerone yet than disregard this post... (Everything has been updated)

Ok, so on post #142 (above) I reported that there was a problem with Coverflow and I posted a link to a text file and instructions how to fix it. I noticed tonight that the last line in the text file has an odd entry that shouldn't be there:

[​IMG]

If anyone did the procedure I posted above, go back in to the Coverflow WSH Panel and delete the last three lines: 3879, 3880, 3881. So the last line will be 3878. OR just leave it. If you ever encounter a problem with that "793" being there, then you can delete it. (Shouldn't be a problem)

Honestly, I'd be surprised if more than 10 people were using this theme, but just thought I should address this.

25. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I was unable to edit my post above... I tweaked the layout of Br3tt's JS Smooth Browser (V2) so it would look a little more like Tedgo's EL Playlist (V1)...which I of course also tweaked. ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.