My free 1962 Grundig Majestic console

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by spartanmanor, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident Thread Starter

My wife saw this listed on the local listserv for our neighborhood. It was just two blocks from where I live and thankfully I have a pickup truck. The nice couple is moving and wanted to find a new home for this beauty. It comes from the original owner purchased in NYC with the original bill of receipt. I don't know that much about the model but love the way it looks. The size is perfect for a console, not too big, and that book-matched veneer, wow! The radio works the turntable needs a little help. I plan on keeping it as original as possible. Any info would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVOLVIST, Old Rusty, Coypu and 10 others like this.
  2. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

I have nothing in the way of help. However that is beautiful. I'd jump on that too. And the price???? Sweet.

spartanmanor likes this.
  3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I don't know the model but highly likely it runs on tubes. While I understand your wish to keep it as original as possible, if you want to use it you should have it checked and serviced by someone with expertise in valves as the heat and high voltages used by tubes can turn into a big problem with aging components.

4. spartanmanor

You can't beat free!!!

Swann36 likes this.
  5. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

if the turntable is beyond restoration (heavy tonearm, defunct cart/stylus), I'd carefully remove it and see if you can fit in a dual 1019 or similar. Might have to cut/fit a bottom base for the dual to sit on, but I always feel like these consoles are better when put to use, than to just sit looking pretty doing nothing.

I did this for my girlfriend's Grundig and she uses it all the time. (Hid some Klipsch RM-51 speakers into the unit and it's a modern workhorse.)

6. spartanmanor

I have a great, vintage appropriate Rek-o-Kut that would fit the bill very nicely.

7. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Looked for a second there like a vintage rotisserie roaster

spartanmanor likes this.
  8. spartanmanor

Flame veneer!

EVOLVIST and ZippyPippy like this.
  9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Does it work? Does the radio work? Does it have inputs and/or outputs on the back? If if does, RCA or DIN? Pic?

spartanmanor likes this.
  10. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

Thank you for saving it!

Even if nothing functions it would make an awesome stand.

spartanmanor likes this.
  11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Man that thing is a beauty. Wow!

Nice score.

spartanmanor likes this.
  12. spartanmanor

Yes, the radio works. There are no visible outputs. My assumption is the amp will have RCA jacks that are accessible once I remove the back.

clhboa likes this.
  13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

You should not plug that unit in. You need to have it completely serviced by a qualified tube tech.

14. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes!

15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I don't think Grundigs had stereo FM until 1965.

16. spartanmanor

Yes, this unit is 100% mono. I did notice that it had a reel to reel at some point on the right side that was taken out and covered with a piece of veneered plywood. This can be seen in the photo with the literature sitting on top. I pried it open to find the cut out for the electronics.

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Ditto

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's possible that the unit came like that unless there are obvious dust and clear spots, scratches, etc that clearly indicate the deck was installed and then removed later. I think these tape decks were sold as an optional component and it would have been expensive. I suspect that most were sold with just radio and phono. If you didn't want phono, they have table top radios which were nice, and essentially the same radio but in a smaller cabinet with smaller speakers. It was top quality stuff then and had a lovely sound. I have had a few stereo versions in the past.

Please have it serviced by a vintage audio tech to get the most out of it and to prevent a catastrophic failure. If these are left on, they can even catch fire.
    -Bill

Rick Bartlett and spartanmanor like this.
  19. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

You might find DIN connections inside, if any. As it’s Mono, there won’t be Stereo outputs.
    I had a 1950s Telefunken from my Grandfather, even the tubes were okay.
    The Turntable might be from Perpetuum Ebner, try for parts or a new (used) one on German eBay.
    PE was partnered strongly with Telefunken.

spartanmanor likes this.
  20. spartanmanor

I pulled the amp and it definitely will need a recap. I did find a schematic. The model is a Majestic Musical Instrument 7028.

[​IMG]

Tullman and G E like this.
  21. G E

G E Senior Member

That would make a dandy liquor cabinet!

spartanmanor likes this.
  22. spartanmanor

I had a little time to clean up the plastic bits on the front. 60 years of grime took a bit to get off all the switches and knobs had a nice brown gunky covering on them before starting. I used a wash of soap water and alcohol with a toothbrush and rag. When done I cleaned that all off with water and used some Novus plastic polish to shine everything up. Some before and after and during shots:

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am also working on my list of replacement caps and cans....

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

So you know how to refurbish the electronics yourself? NICE!

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

At the least. They made them well, but that was a long time ago.
    -Bill

25. spartanmanor

Enough to get me into trouble, but with a little research, I can usually figure things out. My most challenging recap was an HK Citation I preamp.

clhboa and action pact like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.