My home stereo set up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Togo, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was Thread Starter

Hello all,

Posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd give it a further shot for comment, or to hear about other members stereo set ups.

Here's my current stereo/DVD set up purchased in the UK....

Pioneer DV626d (1999)

Arcam Alpha 3 integrated stereo amp (purchased 1991)

Linn Index speakers with matching stands (also 1991)

Denon DRM500 cassette tape deck (1989)

Cable Talk speaker cable and QED interconnects.

The Pioneer DVD/CD player is 2 years old now. It received good press as a CD player in the audiophile mags and was better than my old Marantz player from 1989. It has a good soundstage with decent stereo imaging/separation.

Any advice on future upgrades or how to improve the sound to enhance that "breath of life" would be much appreciated. I have a limited budget and limited space (young kids alert!) but I'd value all opinions.

Thanks all and keep the faith!

Togo

2. rickjames

rickjames New Member

Look for a used integrated tube amp such as the one made by VAC. Audiogon is a great place to find high end gear at reasonable prices. In my opinion, the component that has the greatest impact on the sound of a system is the speakers. Right up there with the speakers, I rate the quality of the recording. No matter how good the system, trash in = trash out. you can actually have a very musical inexpensive system buy using only high quality recordings.

3. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was Thread Starter

Hi Rick,

Thanks very much for your thoughts...I agree 100% re the recording quality and that a budget system can really do the business.

Looks like I'll be hunting for a tube amp when I get some funding together!!

Best wishes

Togo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.