My impressions of the Rega Elex-R

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maglorine, Oct 3, 2019.

1. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

When I owned a full Rega system the Elex-R was my favourite piece. I still have it, and not only think it competes well in its price range, but it also hasn't been embarrassed at all by the amps that have replaced it or I've been able to compare it too. Hopefully you get your wish and a refresh is imminent.

AmericanHIFI and Kristofferabild like this.
  2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I got $825 for my Elex-r when I traded it after 31/2 years, will any one of those do that?

3. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

So about 50% of it new? I would hope that most pieces of equipment, that are in excellent condition might still fetch about that. Pretty sure my MF amp would get more than $300 when I trade it in, although mostly likely I'm just moving it from one room to another. Yamaha models tend to have decent resale too. I think where models lose more in value is when a redesign comes out, making older models seem "older" than they really are at times.

4. the_best_of_fools

the_best_of_fools Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I just got an Elex-R today and even though it's not even near close of being burned in, I absolutely love it. I've had a NAD 701 receiver/integrated amp for 28 years now and I already find that the Rega has a lot in common with my NAD, sharing many British commonalities.

But unfortunately, I'm not sure if my new Elex-R has an issue or not. Maybe someone can help me? (because the store where I bought it is closed at the moment)

Here's my question: I have a headphone amp hooked to the Record Out of the Rega. I can hear everything I select from the 5 inputs in my speakers without any problems, but for some reason when I listen to music in my headphones, I only hear what comes into the Rega from Inputs 1 throuhg 4. I have nothing coming out from the Record output when I select the Input 5 on the Elex-R. Is this normal? On the back pannel, the Input 5 is right next to the Record Out. Could this be a physical limitation?

If someone who owns an Elex-R be nice enough to test this for me, I'd really appreciate it.

It's not that big of a deal since I probably won't be using this input anytime soon, but it just sucks to buy something that is already broken or not working properly.

Thanks,
    Ben

Tone? likes this.
  5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

you have a headphone amp and you connected it to the Rega? Why?
    maybe connect it to the pre amp out instead if you want the pre amp of the Rega.

I love mine. I have a headphone amp as well but use it separately

6. the_best_of_fools

Yes, my headphone amplifier is connected to the Record Output since it's a fixed (Line) level. Like this I can listen to my turntable late at night and use the Rega as a phono amp without any sound coming out of the speakers. Since the volume knob on the Rega affects the PRE-AMP Output volume, music would play in the speakers while listening to my headphones. Like I said, I get sound to my headphone amp with input 1 to 4, but I get no sound when input 5 is selected. Very strange.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  7. rrp

rrp Active Member

hi, I have the elex-r since 2014 and I love it, use it actually as a pre-amp...
    I can remeber about a hint in the first german/english manual, if the input 5 is active, the rec-output won't work.
    best regards from Austria

8. the_best_of_fools

Thanks for your reply, rrp.

The user manuel that comes with the Elex-R is so lame. It's just a sheet of paper and there isn't much more information on Rega's website. I kinda figured out Input 5 was not being sent to the Rec Out since it's probably more for a recording device like a tape deck. After all, the output is labeled "Record" Output, not a "Line" Output. I imagine if you had a recording device, you'd have it hooked to the Input 5 and to the Record Output, so it would make no sence to send back what comes in Input 5 back to the Record Output.

Anyway, I still love the Elex-R. It sounds fantastic.

May I ask with what you use the Elex-R as a pre-amp with?

9. rrp

rrp Active Member

hi and good morning :)

if you keep in mind, that rec-out is useless, if input 5 is in use, everyting will be fine, just don't do it :)
    the user manual is a joke, for kids who cannot read, the first one was half size booklet, but it had some very usefull hints, like the one with input 5 / rec-out, never seen in the new one. Unfortunately I can't find my user manual :(
    I bet, a lot of owners got mad, because never heard about this (intended) issue.

oh yes, the Elex-R is a fantastic amp, it has a unmatched musicality, and I heard a lot of amps, some Roksan and Naim too...
    it sounds pretty "orgasmic" with the some loudspeakers, like my Viennas :love:

now I use it with a Rotel BP991, a terrific power amp with big balls ;) this week I'll get a NAD C275BEE... only because the Rotel ist't very silent without signal, it causes a noise from the loudspeakers like frying ham and it drives me mad :) BTW, my loudspeakers are Vienna Acoustics BBG SE, made in heaven...
    I tried some Rotel pre-amp a year ago, but it sounded like deaf feet in comparison with the Elex-R...

regards, Ro

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  10. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Bet Elex/R is much better used as integrated, rather than used as pre with another brand power amp mismatch
    Don't listen with the paper specs.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  11. rrp

rrp Active Member

I just tried Rotel RB991, was a kind of pessimistic, but it works very well, the Rotel doesn't change the sound signature of the Elex-r at all...
    The Elex-r alone was just perfect for my previous LS (VA Mozart SE), but the Viennas BBG SE feel more confortable with more power... don't trust the paper specs, just try it... and trust your ears :)
    if I trusted only specs, measurements or electronic calibrations I was in a German Hifi forum :D

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  12. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

The Rotel RB-991 is a nice amp but it seems to defy the point to add a second brand on for power amp duties given the whole virtue of the Rega is its glorious power amp stage.

AmericanHIFI and Morbius like this.
  13. rrp

rrp Active Member

why not use another brand? if I'd make a kind of worship out of my hobby, I'd have some Naim components :D

14. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Your money would be better spend on a dedicated pre.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  15. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I have a Rega Elex R and got a NAIM X3 to audition next to it.
    Didn’t like the NAIM at all. One month trial and burn in.
    Much prefer my Elex R over it in every way

Helom, AmericanHIFI and PATB like this.
  16. rrp

rrp Active Member

I only can buy an old Cursa3 as a dedicated pre from Rega, some day I'll try the NAD C165BEE, but I'm afraid, that I'll lose all the Elex-R... sweetness.
    and BTW I don't have to spend any money on a new pre, because I already have the Elex-R :p

17. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

RX3's are truly wonderfully balanced speakers. "JACK OF ALL TRADES"for the money, IMO.
    I certainly still love mine. They respond well to being driven by electronics out of their league.

18. AmericanHIFI

Not Elex-R but certainly Elicit-R. Stay tuned.

Echoes Myron and Kristofferabild like this.
  19. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Both Elicit/R and Aethos are in for a revision soon

Aethos volume revision due to many complaints about interaction volume/remote not very good.
    Elicit/R are now superseded from both IO & Brio in sheer better performance apart from power. In fact many prefer Elex/R vs Elicit/R

AmericanHIFI and Kristofferabild like this.
  20. AmericanHIFI

I can tell you that I have both Elicit-R and Brio 2017 and in no way Brio is sonically better/superceeded the other. Elicit-R uses a class A discrete preamp while Brios's is chip based.
    Facts from the factory.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. AmericanHIFI

However, I do agree wholeheartedly about the Aethos volume control flaws.

22. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Does anyone know the damping factor of this amp? I was curious as I think this is an important spec, the higher the better to me with my speakers, but could not find it. Ive never seen any Rega gear but I like their style, literally and figuratively. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Tone? likes this.
  23. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

ha that’s funny cause I think my Rega amp is pretty ugly. Lol

I think you can calculate the damping factor. Look it up.

the_best_of_fools likes this.
  24. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

Received my Aethos last friday and it's breaking in. Will write a review pretty soon......

25. rrp

rrp Active Member

I listened to the Elex-R alone yesterday, again without any poweamp and it was fantastic... no more power amps or Elex-R as a pre...
    thank you guys