My impressions of the Rega Elex-R

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maglorine, Oct 3, 2019.

1. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

Which Arcam was that? I had mostly positive experience with their (now older) models.

2. rudym457

rudym457 Well-Known Member

i currently have the newer Brio and have been quite happy with it. has anyone compared it to the Exposure 2510?

audiolistener likes this.
  3. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

That's what I hate about post-Olive Naim. But I don't think Rega is any better. Their stuff has always been heavily voiced / manipulated. From the consistently too-fast tables to the 'analog' sounding planet, to the tube-inspired Brio-R.

4. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

Can't comment on the Brio-R, but I didn't find the Elex-R to be manipulated at all.
    It's full of "character", but so do most amps with a "soul", not to mention tube amps.
    You get a full frequency spectrum without the roll-off, bass smearing and compression found on Naim amps.

Whether you like its character is another issue, just like with any component, all the way down to cable choice.

bhazen, Ivand and Echoes Myron like this.
  5. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

the bass is plenty gimped on the elex-r if you hook them up to full-rangers

6. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

That was not my experience.

bhazen likes this.
  7. I've owned the Rega Brio for four years now and I'm very pleased with the sound of it (it's my first 'audiophile' amp so I can't really compare it with other brands and models). I plan to upgrade to the Elex-R later this year when I've got the funds to take the plunge.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. Udy7000

Udy7000 Active Member

Hi! Has this been documented/reported anywhere? I do have the said issue. The volume control doesn't react when using the remote. It works when directly adjusting by hand. It seems there's an issue with the motor.

For a while I could further use the remote if rotated the knob a few inches by hand. That seemed to unstuck it.

9. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Rega will help with this on warranty, contact dealer.

10. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Rega will sort you out. Contact your dealer.

11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I have had the Elex-R now for a few months and I LOVE it. The only thing I would replce it with is a really good 300B amp with WE tubes. Thats it.

Ivand likes this.
  12. Udy7000

Udy7000 Active Member

Hi, thanks, not the answer I was looking for, but here's mine.

The amp is out of warranty. When I bought it (May, 2019), they only had 2 years of warranty. The dealer does not offer the for life warranty even in the present days.

The dealer in Romania is hard to deal with (pun intended). A lots of bad experiences I heard of since I bought the amp, make me avoid any further contact with them. My own experience when buying the device was also very unpleasant.

So, I like the amp, but I no longer can remote control the volume. The motor (my guess) died. That's why I asked the original question.

13. Pmds55889397

There's a Rega representative person posting on Pink Fish forum, try get in touch, he seem very helpful.

14. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident Thread Starter

It could be the remote. Do all the other remote functions work? Like can you change sources, mute, etc?

15. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Paul Darwin, he's very receptive and he'll point you in the right direction.

16. Udy7000

Udy7000 Active Member

I have 2 remotes. The original and one universal. Both work on any other functions.

17. Udy7000

Udy7000 Active Member

Thanks! I may also present them the dealer situation. I've just read a new post in a Romanian audiophile community presenting the experience with that dealer. He was trying to buy 2 REL subs.

18. Pmds55889397

Ignore all other issues with sub, dealer etc, no point in doing things more complicated and confused, why should Rega know something about REL subs ?.

Rega promote first class customer service for their own products.

If you honestly explain your issue precisely you might very well get the help needed.
    Make sure to have papers and proof of buying, original box to return, etc.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    sotosound likes this.
  19. Udy7000

Udy7000 Active Member

Think about it. If rega was all that you said, they would want the truth about the dealer. Such a dealer affects their business too.

20. Pmds55889397

If their dealer/distributor network is not working and with complaints, they most likely find another.
    Usually Rega have a country distributor which choose dealers, so not direct related to Rega.
    No idea how this works in your country.

All I can say is if your dealer or distributor deny to help, do contact Rega directly.

21. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Forum Resident

Not to resurrect this thread, but, just in case someone finds their way here with the same problem as Ben had, I had the same issue with a Brio-R. I reached out to distributor to ask for some help after troubleshooting the living daylights out of the problem, and the answer was that only Inputs 1-4 output through the Record Out, Input 5 does not. This drove me bonkers while I tried to troubleshoot, so just sharing here in case anyone is having the same problem. I have no idea why that would be the case, but that's the deal!