“My Mother, The Car” now on DVD!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And still no PRUITTS OF SOUTHAMPTON. Life is so unfair.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, I feel your pain...
    No:
    Bronk
    It's About Time
    The Outlaws and others.:)

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If we turned the show into a Stephen King story, then it'd be happening. "My Mother the Car meets Christine!" That's a high concept idea.

Howcha do,howcha do, howcha do, my dear?

Probably not, but ya know... I don't have a problem with the studios going through their vaults and digitizing every sing short, TV show, special, and feature film ever commercially released, then making them available as high-quality downloads and streaming at a small fee. It's better than letting the film and tape elements completely disintegrate to dust, which is what they're doing now.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

"Coming up next, on FOX...." .

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have this same problem with all supernatural shows. We need to have a scene where the living characters accost the dead/fantastic characters and ask them the hard questions.

Noted author J.K. Rowling actually did this in the Harry Potter novels, where Harry buttonholes one of the castle ghosts to ask whether the ghost could find a way to let him talk to his (recently-deceased) Uncle, but the ghost explains there are rules about what he can say and can't say, and also that there are lots of things he doesn't know. At least that's a partial explanation.

arley and OldSoul like this.
  6. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Add these to your list:

Batman
    The Green Hornet
    The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
    Nanny & The Professor
    The Good Guys

And many, many more...

billdcat and Vidiot like this.
  7. Michael

I guess we could come up with so many more. :thumbsup:

8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I liked The Ghost and Mrs. Muir when I last saw it in the 1970s, and wouldn't mind seeing it again. The only Green Hornet I've seen is a horrible public domain set.

Batman is a whole other problem; they'll be fighting over the rights to that one until we're all long dead.

9. Michael

I think you are digging too deep...those 60's shows were topical and mainly focused on the lead characters...the relatives were guests... they didn't need to prove their worth it was just known they had the powers as well. ah, such great times and memories of 60's and 50's television.:)

10. Michael

maybe after releasing them on DVD box sets! please no MOD or streaming! I want to own it! Ssssh don't put logs on the fire!:laugh:

11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Good lord I could use some Jerry Van Dyke in my life right now!

OldSoul likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We mastered both for Fox in component digital standard-def, so great-quality master tapes are out there. I did all the Ghost & Mrs. Muir shows myself.

Dan C, trumpet sounds and billdcat like this.
  13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

In a "Get Smart" episode I remember from my childhood-"The Secret of Sam Vittorio" from October 1968- Max and 99 are impersonating Connie and Floyd (in a Bonnie and Clyde spoof) and are staying at gangster-boss Sam's estate. As he lays dying, Sam asks Floyd to tell him that "My Mother The Car" is coming back to TV. Floyd asks "why?" Sam replies "So I won't mind going so much."

I hear that the episode was written by the people who did MMTC.

arley, Gumboo, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I'm surprised it took this long--there is more of a market for things that are legendarily awful than for mediocre/forgotten titles (I'm not holding my breath for a DVD of "The Little People" aka "The Brian Keith Show"

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can think of 5 or 6 short lived UPN shows I worked on for which I hope they burned the master tapes and all the films. But there are a few that were funny, but were uncerimoniously cancelled. The Secret Life of Desmond Pfeiffer was a good example--a much funnier show than it was given credit for. No way in hell that will ever be seen again.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  16. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

I'm in total agreement. I want them on DVD. I'm enthused that MY MOTHER THE CAR is coming out. I'll bet if anyone would actually see it, they would find it quite enjoyable. Same with PRUITTS OF SOUTHAMTON. I also was a viewer of SECRET LIFE OF DESMOND PFEIFFER and consider me a fan. Somewhere in my VHS archives is taped the first episode. All three of those are funnier than many modern excuses for sitcoms. Like the new Robin Williams effort that everyone is praising as if it were The Emperors New Clothes. Yawn!

17. Michael

nice to know we are not alone! I love having my TV Shows on real pressed DVDs...screw that MOD junk!

18. Michael

well after reading this I'm guess my assumption is right...they used crap masters...well at least I don't have to rebuy them! WHEW! I thought I missed newly remastered editions! Ah....

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

No way they ever showed all 30 eps of My Mother the Car in Australia. After the one about the drive in I think they gave up on it.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

30 episodes! Can you imagine getting 10 shows in, and everybody in the cast realizes, "oh, crap! We're in a huge bomb show, and we still have 20 more to go!" That's a bad feeling.

That's my problem with some of the Shout Video releases: they just grab old 1980s-1990s 1" analog videotapes, slap them up on a machine, and hit play. That's not remastering -- that's just a straight-across dub.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

With the obscure stuff Shout releases, frankly I'm just glad to have some of it at all in whatever format I can get it in.

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I used to love it when it first ran.I think I was five years old.I hadn't seen it since.I recently came across an episode on the web,and was impressed again by how awful it was.

Sammy's version of the theme is great though.

23. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I only ever saw one episode of this when Trio was running it about ten years ago, but I thought it was hilarious. It was definitely my sense of humor, and the list of contributing writers (Chris Hayward, Allan Burns, James L. Brooks, etc.) makes that hardly a surprise. I assume its bad reputation is in light of the ludicrousness of the premise, but that kind of ridiculous deadpan is why I like Get Smart and the '60s Batman so much.

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I can't see My Mother, The Car as and worse than Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo. Frankly, these lists of "bad" television shows are going to have to be revised with all of the reality crap that we've had for the last decade plus.

t-man 54 and Mark Nelson like this.
  25. Michael

most of the 60's sitcoms are better than the crap we are subjected to today as comedy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.