“My Mother, The Car” now on DVD!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I wish Netflix had it !

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

My wife bought me the Complete “My Mother the Car” for Christmas. Insert your joke here.

(She also bought me the a Complete “Green Acres” set.)

Gumboo, Michael and Steel Woole like this.
  3. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I don't think it was an accident when I first hit "Report" instead of "Reply" trying to respond to your post, @Jerry .
    OK, I'll play: Who's the first asking for a divorce? Her, because you wanted the set, or you, because she actually gave it to you?
    Shakespeare, by comparison.

I remember watching "My Mother, The Car" on its first run. I thought it was funny but I was twelve at the time. I thought puns and elephant jokes were funny back then.

Jerry likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's cool! love both, have both! enjoy them. I love those 2 shows since I was a youngster... a BD set of GA would have been amazing.

5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

And yet, Let It Be remains unreleased on BluRay or DVD.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I watched my mother the car when it was on in the 60's and I didn't think it was all that bad. Try to watch " please don't eat the daisies" tv sitcom. That one should be in the top 10 of worst shows ever.

7. See, I read that as "My wife knows I like old sitcoms so she bought me this not knowing the show sucks. But I guess I can forgive her because she also got me something I wanted."

I mean, quite frankly, take the good with the bad. If you have a wife loving enough to accept you like old old sitcoms on DVD that she even buys you some because she thinks you'll like it, that is what love is all about!

[/opinion]

MarkTheShark likes this.
  8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I loved MMTC as a kid and always wanted to see it again. It's better than most of the sitcoms on today. And 30 episodes per season? That'll never happen no more. Check out all the other shows that made their debut in 1965. Starting with Green Acres....

9. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Hey, I like stupid humor as much as anybody. I just re-watched "Tommy Boy."

- but -

"Green Acres" and "My Mother, The Car" have a crucial difference. MMTC was a dumb premise with which all the characters played along. GA started with an even dumber premise but the producers hung an absurdist comedy on it. It may be the best surreal television ever made. Characters would slyly let us know they were in on the joke, with the biggest fool Oliver Douglas (Eddie Albert). He knew Hooterville was a madhouse but he played the joker, often acknowledging the craziness while humoring the local zanies. On MMTC, accepting Jerry Van Dyke's mother was now a car was essential to getting the joke. With my favorite Green Acres episode, the square egg one, the only thing you had to accept was that they were great eggs. Everything else was the joke.

One caveat: I haven't seen MMTC in over 50 years. I may not be remembering it right. I could be full of horse pitute. But I bet Arnold the Pig would back me up.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool. I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'm glad to see it available. I saw a couple of episodes a while back. I liked it.

11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I think its great that My Mother The Car is Available on DVD for collectors. I just wish all 5 years of "The Big Valley" were available. Its one of my favorite shows (after "Dallas") and the cast was fantastic. Richard Long as the family lawyer in lawless 1885 California was amazing.

dewey02 likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You're right that we'll never see seasons with that many episodes ever again... And not only were the seasons longer, the episodes were roughly 25-26 minutes in length (w/o the commercials added in that is)... Nowadays, you're lucky if there's 22 minutes of programming in a half hour show.

Gumboo and Jerry like this.
  13. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

MMTC may have been the most ridiculous premise of all time but its far from being the worst show. It may be the most well known bad show but there are shows which are far more atrocious. For instance, The Tammy Grimes Show, Ugliest Girl in Town and perhaps the most abysmal one I've ever seen, The Munsters Today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.