My new Line Magnetic 216IA Integrated Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Good question. Also, have you upgraded the stock powercord?

2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

No sub here. I never really liked subs, and the 3XLs to my ears, does not need one. Bass is tight, fast and has much more impact than you would think from a stand mount speaker. I auditioned the amps with the 3XLs, because at the time, I owned a pair of the original Gibbon 8s, so I wanted a speaker that sounded similar during the audition. I obviously wound up buying the 3XLs a few months later, as I really loved their sound. The 3XLs are as full and loud as I'd ever want a speaker to sound, especially in an apartment building. I actually had a get together at my place about two weeks, that I advertised here. It would have been a great chance for you to hear my system in action.

3. Erocka2000

Yes, I've put in the Genalex Gold Lion KT-88 reissues, NOS Sylvania pinched plate 12bh7s and Psvane 12ax7s.

4. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Damn, wish I could've made it! Where was that advertised?

5. Erocka2000

6. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

They seem like some nice cables.

Unfortunate that I just missed the get-together. If you ever plan another, I'll be there.

7. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Forum Resident

Anyone compared the LM amps to similar Cayin/PrimaLuna or Melody/Mystere integrateds? I'm looking to move on from my Cayin TA 30, and these are pretty much the brands I'm considering (including the LM). I'm leaning towards the Cayin A-100T, since it has all the features I want i.e. 100 watts, sub-out, pre-in, etc...

8. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Well I went into ILS tonight and purchased one. We tried it out with the Devore 3xl and Dynaudio 160s and 220s. I have to say I was highly impressed with all 3 combinations but the 220s really shined. I will have to save up for a bit anyway, but I'd like to go back and try out a few more speakers before I make a decision.

In the meantime I'll be rocking my Kefs with this thing. Can't wait to pick it up in a few days!

Eric, do you know if I can run bare speaker wire into it?

9. Erocka2000

Congrats! I think you're going to be very happy with it. As for bare wire, I don't see why you can't. I prefer banana clips for ease of use though.

10. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Thanks!

Yeah I will probably buy better speaker cable at some point, but for now I'll get some DIY banana connectors.

11. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Does this thing have any pre-outs on the back? Something I could plug a headphone amp into?

12. Erocka2000

Unfortunately, it does not.

13. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Yikes. I definitely should've looked for that last night! I guess I was too engrossed with the sound to actually look at the rear panel.

14. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the tube upgrades? Something essential or something that could be put off for a while? Steve at ILS recommended rolling the smallest of the tubes, but I don't remember what he suggested. I'm guessing he mentioned the same to you?

Loving it so far. Only really had one day to listen to it, as I've been really busy with work, but it's remarkable. Definitely puts my old Marantz to shame. Also makes my Kefs sing, and I suddenly don't feel the need to upgrade them any time soon.

I did buy a bigass Pangea AC9 SE powercord to run it through. Haven't tested it out yet vs. the stock cord, but I can if people are interested. Though, my whole rig is running through a Wiremold power strip, I don't know how much of an improvement an upgraded cord makes. I will eventually run it through a power conditioner or maybe re-organize my listening room so that I can plug it directly into an outlet (Surely, the girlfriend will be thrilled by this!).

Off topic, but any thoughts or suggestions on hooking up a headphone amp to my system? Is there really any way to do it aside from disconnecting my preamp and plugging my source directly into a headphone amp? I got so caught up with the sound of this thing through speakers that I completely forgot I listen to headphones a few nights a week.

15. Erocka2000

Steve probably mentioned trying some JJ 12ax7s. I went with the Psvanes because I already had a set from my previous amp. They are one of the better reviewed new production 12ax7s around. You can get them from Grant Fidelity. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how the new power cord sounds. As for hooking up your headphones, I'm at a loss. They will have to bypass this amp somehow.

16. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

My Jolida phono stage has 2 outputs, one high and one low. I wonder if I could plug a headphone amp into the low output. I have the high output connected to the 216IA.

As for tubes, are you recommending the Psvanes over the JJs? Which is available at Grant Fidelity?

17. Erocka2000

I'm recommending the Psvanes. They are available at Grant Fidelity.

18. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.

Have the Genalex Gold Lion KT-88 reissues made a big improvement on the sound?

19. Erocka2000

To me they sound great. I didn't use the stock tubes all that long before upgrading. I like to get all the upgrading done up front, so I can just sit back and enjoy the amp.

20. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

and where did you get them?

21. Erocka2000

I bought them from Jim McShane. He sells matched quads of them.

cmndrums likes this.
  22. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Took a few pics of mine tonight. Note the JJ 12AX7s front and center, only tubes I rolled so far. Also using a Pangea AC-9SE power cord (not pictured):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Erocka2000

Very nice! How are you liking it so far?

24. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

It sounds like a dream compared to my old SS Marantz. It's really not even fair to compare the two. Everything is richer and more resolved. It really ties the whole system together. Before I felt like my Classic (which is only 2 months old) was being held back. Now it really shines. All of the detail I was missing before is there now.
    I was planning to upgrade my Kefs next, but I may hold off for a while. This thing really makes them sing. I'm surprised at how good they sound.

IanL likes this.
  25. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Beautiful amp!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.