My parents never asked, "Is So-and-So today's new Bing Crosby?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Jan 24, 2023.

1. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Rolling Stone had this article title in 1975 - New Dylan From Jersey? It Might as Well Be Springsteen

rikki nadir and Zeki like this.
  2. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

If modern bands don't want to be compared to older bands then try not sounding exactly like those bands.

rikki nadir likes this.
  3. RandyB1961

RandyB1961 Go Dawgs!

Steve Forbert was the best New Dylan ever!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Asking who is the new Glen Miller in the age of guitar groups in the 60s is hardly the same as asking if some new guitar group is the new Zeppelin.

dheath and mbd40 like this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Glenn Miller?!

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Per wiki: (Re John Prine)…”which Prine later said was his favorite of all his songs. The album received many positive reviews, and some hailed Prine as "the next Dylan".

I suspect various crooners were billed as the “new Bing Crosby.” (Andy Williams? Perry Como? I don’t know but just guessing.)

7. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I understand what the OP is saying. I can't remember my parents or their friends asking why kids today (which would have been in the late 70's in my case) don't listen to World War II era music instead of that damned Earth Wind and Fire -- in other words, the rock generation of the 60's and 70's is the only generation to care that younger kids weren't into their music. I've often thought this myself.

Brian Lux likes this.
  8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

All this nonsense started in the '70s with people being bummed out that The Beatles were gone, and so they started searching for "the next Beatles". It just took hold from there.

That said, I don't know that anyone actually considers Greta Van Fleet to be "the new Led Zeppelin" so much as they accuse them of basically ripping off Zeppelin's sound. Just like Kingdom Come, 35 years ago, they got attention for blatantly copying their sound. But what comes around goes around, I guess, considering how much borrowing Zeppelin did, then one really can't get too upset about them being copied.

9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The Members Of 'The Next Bob Dylan' Club

Zeki likes this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

11. My grandad is always asking who is the new GG Allin.

oldcurmudgeon likes this.
  12. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Neue Zeitschrift für Musik, Vol. 38, 1853: "Long before Wagner's name was mentioned, we heard the awareness expressed...that a new Mozart was necessary. Now the new Mozart is here..."

Auguste Ludwig, 1893: "The next Mozart, a forthcoming Schubert, a future Lortzing and so on will never again have to spend their days in poverty and affliction."

Anton Rubinstein, 1896: "Perhaps the next Beethoven and the next Liszt will be women!"

People have been looking for -- and, conversely, naming -- the "new X" or the "next X" or "today's X" for a long time. Comparison is at the heart of cognition.

dheath, forthlin, Shambolicus and 3 others like this.
  13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Wow! Not even in the right ballpark! :laugh:

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  14. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Somwas
    So was Loudon Wainwright III. Go figure...

Zack likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

In the 60's and 70's the narrative was the "Generation Gap." So everything was about how the younger generation was into one thing and the adults were on a completely different wavelength.

Now the narrative is that boomer culture set the standard and it's expected that the next generations carry on their culture.

Basically there's not enough of a difference between old people's music and young people's music. If the Zoomers had all gone polka we'd not be having these ridiculous stories.

Shambolicus and Brian Lux like this.
  16. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

People have always compared songwriters to Mozart (especially if they are young,) and to Bach (especially if their counterpoint is strong.) This happened in the 1960s and continues to this day, even by people who wouldn't know Beethoven from Stravinsky.

17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Because I don’t think Bing Crosby was ever considered “The Voice of his generation“.
    Music was just “entertainment” back then.
    As the boomers came of age, certain music was more considered a “way of life“, and “important”. And as boomers held their influence, anything resembling a singer/songwriter with a vision or some good ideas was inevitably called “a new Dylan“.

As boomers age and die off, you’re not gonna hear that as much anymore. Music has returned to being just “entertainment“, for the most part. For better or for worse.

forthlin, PRW94, Shambolicus and 3 others like this.
  18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Interesting, thought worthy points there, O Don

Sear and O Don Piano like this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This. ^

forthlin likes this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Bing was great in that group.

zphage and Chris Schoen like this.
  21. Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen and Steve Forbert were both hailed as new Dylans.

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, that's why Neil Young split. :winkgrin:

gregorya likes this.
  23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

So, like Rolling Stone.... :)

24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Or, perhaps subsequent generations might be labelled as "the new boomers" .... ;)

O Don Piano likes this.
  25. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Bull's eye.