My parents never asked, "Is So-and-So today's new Bing Crosby?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Bing was a right so-and-so.

Not so much a so-and-so but Dean Martin was the new Bing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  2. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Dean Martin was the new Dean Martin just like Michael Jackson was the new Michael Jackson...

3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...YOU'RE MY HERO...Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

4. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I don't remember the original Dean Martin then. I only remember the famous crooner who played the straight man to a popular comedian in a series of well loved movies.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as Dean Martin said; EVERY singer wanted to be Bing...

6. Michael

Indeed...that was a failed attempt! funny stuff. : )

7. Michael

priceless! love it. : )

8. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Bing Crosby and David Bowie's duet of the Little Drummer Boy- a UK Top 10 hit in the late 70s after Bing's death.

ARK and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

yes, I am familiar with that song and video.

10. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

Who is the new Jim Reeves? That's what I wanna know! :laugh:

John B Good likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Growing up I don't recall having any music playing in our house whatsoever. I cannot say why that was or was not. One memory of a comment on music was after I had been in the service and returned to live with my parents for about six months before I got my own apartment. I had bought my first stereo in Korea and brought it home with me. I had it sent up in my bedroom and I am sure I blasted my parents with my sounds. The only interchange I recall is one afternoon when my mother came upstairs and knocked on my door. She asked what I was playing. I told her is was Arlo Guthrie from the album Hobo's Lullaby and the song Ukulele Lady. My mom then went on to explain as a young girl while living on the family farm she would play the Ukulele as others would dance at family gatherings. She had never mentioned that before but I will remember it forever...

12. I’m no Zeppelin fanatic (barely listen to them at all for over 25 years — give me solo Robert Plant over Zep any day)…

…but for the life of me, I don’t get how Greta Van Fleet is supposedly the new LZ. Admittedly I mostly only know GVF from their one (or was it two?) Saturday Night Live appearances — but the comparison was laughable.

And, again, I haven’t listened to more than 3 Zep albums in the last 10+ years — so I’m not saying they’re rock gods or anything (certainly not to me).

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  13. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Music got quite a bit different after Bing Crosby, no?

And I happen to like Bing Crosby, CSNY, Greeta Van Fleet, Led Zeppelin, Michael Buble (most of the time), whoever.

14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Yes, very much so

Other than Michael Buble (because I'm not familiar with that artist) I do as well.

15. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

The same thing was said about the band "Kingdom Come" remember them because of one song....?

16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yes, everything is so "referential" now. Everything has to be compared to something else.

Brian Lux likes this.
  17. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

Something like: is Harry Styles the new Elvis Presley? I'd love to ask that.

18. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

My Dad loved George Jones, Hank Williams, etc... bought me Are You Experienced.

19. ModernBingFan0377

ModernBingFan0377 Crosby ‘Connoisseur’

I’ve been recently reading Gary Giddins’ wonderful biography of Bing, and in those early days of Bing’s popularity to succeed as a singer you had to be a “high Crosby or a low Crosby.” Several times over the years across different countries singers were named their country’s Bing, like Michael Holliday being Britain’s Bing.

Zeki likes this.
  20. oldcurmudgeon

oldcurmudgeon Anti-audiophile Extraordinaire

I remember a guy who pretended to be drunk all the time on TV.

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  21. oldcurmudgeon

More importantly I never heard anyone back in the day say "what genre is this?" It was all just a melting pot. I get asked all the time by kids what genre something is and my answer is always the same: "Symphonic punk country disco babymetal."

John B Good likes this.
  22. oldcurmudgeon

Basically it's a singer with an open shirt and a prominent package.

23. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

I have a feeling this probably did happen more than we think in the old days, it’s just harder to dig up the primary sources. Certainly in jazz you had the new Bird, the new Clifford Brown, etc.

24. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

The Beatles were the new Supremes when they started out.

25. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

So will there ever be a new New Christy Minstrels?