My problem with Tull's Aqualung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shokhead, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Couldn't he just have used a megaphone?

2. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I love the song and the album. I consider the "megaphone" portion of the song to be an effect. I like it.

Scott

Jerryb likes this.
  3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I guess he could have but he would have had a hard time recreating the dissolve. Btw on the SW remix the dissolve is quite different and one of my main objections to it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. Toby Benjamin

Toby Benjamin Forum Resident

I like it. I consider it a classic, flawless record thats up there with DSOTM.

I dont think theres a single wasted moment on it. When I first heard it I had never heard JT before but stayed up half the night to listen to it three times.

The start of Crosseyed Mary still gives me goosebumps.

Carserguev and Jeff Minn like this.
  5. ganma

ganma Senior Member

The problem with Tull's Aqualung is there is no problem with Tull's Aqualung.

DPM, rogertheshrubber and Carserguev like this.
  6. danielanglada

danielanglada New Member

Hi Terry !

I have a question i hope you can help me, i wanted to know where did you get that picture from, I'm really interested in acquiring it in the highest definition possible.

Thanks !!
    Daniel Anglada

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes there is! They left off "Lick Your Fingers Clean" and "Wond'ring Again." :agree:

8. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Finally. I was about to say the exact same thing before I found your post.

In fact, I find Martin Barre's guitar solo on Aqualung to be just one tiny notch short of transcendental.

Brilliant indeed!...:righton:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

It's just you. You are defective. The Omnicron World Computer has decided you must be put down, and cycled into Soylent Green. Please report to the nearest rendering center ASAP.

P.S. The product is now known as "Soylent" and you can actually buy that :yikes:

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Actually the problem with Aqualung is the copious amounts of tape hiss, they must have labored days to layer in so much of it. Must have been the same studio as Emerson, Lake, and Powell :rolleyes:

11. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Five pages of megaphone related comments and not one Tom Waits mention?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  12. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

k tull was doing this way back to the early early days, A Song For Jefferey, they were a blues band, u know those old blues 78's how the vocals sound? yea exactly and they did it again later w/ aqualung, i wish they did more, im sure theres other examples but those are the 2 obvious ones-

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Have a listen to the DCC Aqualung and you might have to abandon that belief.

scoutbb likes this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I always enjoyed the contrast it brought to the song, but also always felt similar to Joe.

DPM likes this.
  15. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Aqualung is just one of those rare albums that is perfect front to back. The variety of style from song to song just adds to its brilliance. There are people who otherwise can't stand Jethro Tull who love this album. It transcends those kinds of boundaries, and it even transcends time. Along with Dark Side Of The Moon, Zeppelin IV, Ziggy Stardust, and a very small handful of other titles that managed to pull off a similar feat, Aqualung is a true classic.

3rd Uncle Bob and rushed again like this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Oh really? Hmm, I'll have to check that. I've had a few versions and some not as bad as others-maybe not made from 1st gen tapes?

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, that's what Stone Temple Pilots did. I always wondered what "effect" that was and then in some live thing in Chicago he is just literally holding an amplified megaphone between his mouth and the microphone.

18. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I agree, and The Beatles and Collective Soul has used that effect too much.

ARK likes this.
  19. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

I love the effect.
    But If it was used for the entire song I wouldn't.

This reminds me of the time I got high with my best friend in the 70's when I played him "Wish You Were Here"
    He never heard the song before so I acted as though his stereo was busted...he freaked out until the song properly started and I confessed that's the way it's suppose to sound.
    His face was priceless :)

showtaper likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes the 1996 cd is sonic $hit.

GowG, 3rd Uncle Bob and Michael like this.
  21. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Michael Stipe did the same thing in REM (Orange Crush, form memory)

ARK likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I had such high hopes for that release! when I first played the CD I thought my hearing was failing...thankfully back then I had the MFSL LP and the first CD pressing with the missing Wind Up!

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Man, I watched that Rolling Stones Rock n Rock Circus video and had a new love for Tull. I never realized they we so cool and bluesy. But the time I heard them they were fully immersed in art rock pieces. To see them acting and sounding so groovy warmed my heart to them anew.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There is NO tape hiss at all on Aqualung. It's Dolby A stretched.

25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

What is "Dolby A stretched"?

Like the megaphone or not, that megaphone vocal and the line "Snot is running down his nose" are two very memorable parts of the rock era. They are part of history, tampering with them would be like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.
    Or Mona Gorilla.... or something....

Brian Ramone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.