My problem with Tull's Aqualung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shokhead, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ah, that explains a lot. On one release, I forget which, there was just a huge kind of ambience of let's call it hissing. But not like normal hiss, it kind of breathed or pumped...which now makes more sense.

No doubt brought to us by the same people who dumped LP-eq'd masters onto CD and said "Presto! Digital!" :mad: Thus giving a bad name to digital forever.

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

=encoded.
    --> ya gotta play it back DEcoded or it sounds weird, I presume much more so that Dolby B undecoded.
    Another sin would be playing back DBX undecoded-everything sounds squashed.

3. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

I dig the megaphone, less enthralled with flute.

4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

That effect COULD have been a problem, except they immediately followed it up with one of the greatest bits of lyric in rock history...

And you snatch your rattling last breaths
    with deep-sea-diver sounds,
    and the flowers bloom like
    madness in the spring.

5. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

I liked that part of the song...I think Ian got that from "The Days of Pearly Spencer" by Dave McWilliams which was a minor hit several years before.

6. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I understand how Dolby A works, I have just never seen the term "stretched" used with it.
    I assume it is a euphemism for "companded".

7. catman

catman Forum Resident

I saw them in Springfield MA on that tour...that was a great moment for sure!

8. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

You guys are funny. I hear nothing but complaints about even the subtlest use of AUTOTUNE in modern recordings, but most here seem to like the megaphone bit. To each their own I guess.

9. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Nobody's mentioned that he did something similar 40 years later on Banker Bets, Banker Wins.

10. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

1,000,000 Tull fans would disagree
    I'm one of them.

11. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I don't see a correlation here. The megaphone was used as an effect in one song, not on every song by 99% of popular singers to the point of overkill as autotune is now. Hell, even Michael Buble uses autotune and he's a crooner who can sing and shouldn't be going anywhere near it.

Grootna and John Buchanan like this.
  12. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Yes, get over it. It's too great of a song/album not to thoroughly enjoy!

13. Regginold31

Regginold31 Forum Resident

The only effect that bothered me about Aqualung, was the "Lee Abrams Effect".

14. Michael C

Michael C Active Member

I just acquired the DCC on vinyl, used but in perfect condition. It sounds amazing. Dead quite through out. I also have a Reprise and had the Steve Wilson mix, but sold it. Didn't like his mix, especially the guitar taking precedence over the piano in intro to My God. The DCC is now my go to copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.