My review of the SONY SCD-CE775 SACD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sckott, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident

FYI... Musician's Friend has the SONY SCD-CE775 in-stock for $199.99. According to the catalog that I just got in the mail, they are also offering one free SACD with purchase (limited choices)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020629171736207173248243896545/search/g=home/detail/base_id/56100

I am not endorsing Musican's Friend, but if you decide to order from them, I would recommend (from previous expereince) doing so by phone. On-line orders do not seem to take priority over phone orders. As a matter of fact, hey seem to get lost in a bit bucket never to be found again :0)

2. Chris Wheeler

Chris Wheeler Forum Resident

I jumped on this deal from Musician's Friend, as these players seem to be getting scarce. Incidentally they are selling the CE775 for $179.99 now, plus $12.95 shipping (for me).

So far so good....I ordered last night online, and despite the previous posts' warning, I got an email today saying it was shipped out. So now its up to UPS but I should have it within 5 days of ordering it. That's pretty good in my book.

Now I've got to figure out how to connect the CE775 to my Sony TA-E9000es preamp. Looks like I might have to get their TA-P9000es as well. Sigh... Anyone else have this combo?

3. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member

Based on this thread and other simililiar ones I found a 775 new unopened at my local Circuit City for $189.95----After much wrangling I decided to jump into the format with the Stones and CCR sacds next month. How bad can you go wrong at this level--I needed a carousel player too. Thanks for all the reviews and input folks.

Dr.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Welcome aboard. Don't worry. It WON'T get boring.

5. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

I've been enjoying my 775 more and more as the hours
    run up on it. It just keeps improving! Time on it is
    now about 75 hrs I'd guess...

For the price, I don't see how you could view it as a
    bad deal. In my system (one of them) it is the player
    of choice, displacing a much more expensive Denon for
    redbook play.

I'm considering the super clock upgrade, which is said
    to take resolution to another level...but costs more
    than the player sold for!

--Roger

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think the CE775 is a great machine for the money. I've been telling a lot of friends to pick one up if their into it. I recall (from the one I owned) that it was very sensitive to being level (as any CD player) and it responded well to sitting on a "magic pillow", so any vibration control would be a plus...

Todd

7. M_Anker

M_Anker New Member

Who installs superclocks into CE775's, and how much do they charge?

8. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Please forgive me for being naive, but what exactly is a 'super-clock'?

Also, what are the pros & cons of a CE775 vs. the 222ES? I am going to spring early in August for a SACD player:)

Thanks for any input.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Also........ the 775 is a five disc. There is also a 1 disc player that is slightly cheaper. The 6?? something. Apparently it has the same specs as the 775 but you don't get the added 'interference' of the 5 disc carosel motor humming quietly in the background.... presuming you CAN hear that in a cheap player!

Any comments on the 6?? Sony player?

I know someone who has the 2 channel 222ES and he likes it much better than the 6?? cheap Sony player.

But I cannot do a comparison.....

Why don't you wait 'til the Fall for the new players coming out? Maybe they'll be giving away the 222's?

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Isn't the SuperClock a timer / clock that does not cause interference with the playback (quieter, etc?)????

11. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Can the CE775 be plugged into the 'switched' outlet on the back of my preamp? I've ordered one and read somewhere that there's no on/off on the remote. Not a biggie, since I have other components that require my bodily presence to cut on/off.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't know but wouldn't this mean that the CD could be in 'mid flight' or being read when shut off. Could this damage the laser or eye or anything else?

Just a (paranoid) thought....

13. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

So that's where those burn holes in my CDs are coming from. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.