My So-Called Life Vs Freaks and Geeks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evil-link, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

F&G was an amazing show, bought the dvd several years back from North America as there was no UK release based on only 2 episodes I recalled watching on Sky waaaayyyy back when.

Show had great characters, excellent stories with some brilliant moments of comedy too. It just had a "Heart".

2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Freaks and Geeks was a comedy
    My So Called Life was a drama

two totally different but equally important takes on high school.

Tim S and mark renard like this.
  3. Evil-link

Evil-link Forum Resident Thread Starter

more of a dramedy.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

MSCL and 30S were by the same 2 exec producers.

Tim S likes this.
  5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah totally different genres and audiences I think....hard to compare

Tim S likes this.
  6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

No you are right..it wasn’t all slapstick..Especially the relationships Bill had with his mom and Nick had with his dad..

7. Evil-link

I think they have a lot in common. Why would there be different audiences?

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think My So Called..... had more of a younger female following based around Clairs charcter, maybe a little more teen angsty?

9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Please tell us how streaming sites are free, please.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Both "F&G" and "MSCL" had crap ratings, which is why they lasted such a brief period of time: 18 episodes for "F&G" and 19 episodes for "MSCL"

Makes it tougher to compare who followed them since they had weak viewership period.

That said, I think you're right that "MSCL" tapped into a teen female demo in a way that "F&G" didn't. I suspect "F&G" got its viewers from a broader array of people - it might've focused on high school students, but the nostalgia factor had to play a role and make it more accessible to adults like "Wonder Years" had a decade earlier.

"MSCL" was a much more topical "here and now" show...

Propinquity likes this.
  11. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Love both. Can't compare.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  12. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I don't stream. I collect as I have for 40 years. My physical media doesn't go away on a moment's notice, unlike streaming sites which either go away or the shows do. Expecting shows to be available forever on streaming is like expecting HBO to have all of their movies available to watch forever.

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Congratulations. Still, streaming isn't free in most cases and a lot of people don't care to own stuff they're only going to watch once or merely have a curiosity for.

14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'm at a major disadvantage in arguing this, cause I have not watched very many episodes of Freaks and Geeks, whereas I have watched all of MSCL probably 3 times, some episodes more.

I think it's worth pointing out that MSCL at times is an exceedingly dark show - which I never got from Freaks. I understand why people got turned off my how self-absorbed and morose Angela Chase was - I tend to think many of those people aren't remembering the reality of being a teenager.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  15. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Freaks and Geeks. I'm still pissed we didn't get a second season. Then again, that's probably why the show is so beloved. It went out on top. We only get to spend a limited amount to spend with the characters and their lives. It's bittersweet.

Evil-link likes this.
  16. Evil-link

This.

17. Evil-link

Freaks and Geeks for me, but I also really like MSCL

18. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Freaks & Geeks, but probably because I was 12 in 1980 and identify with a lot of the touchstones used in the series... saw MSCL when it first came out and although I was only in my 20s, it was already a foreign culture to me so to speak...

19. Evil-link

20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I was the same class as the Freaks (Class of '82) and although spent my HS years in Oregon had lived in Wisconsin (more similar to Michigan) through 7th grade so I related very strongly to the series.

YardByrd likes this.
  21. Evil-link

Freaks and Geeks when I have to choose, as it`s more unique and original.

YardByrd likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Two different series for two different audiences. One based in contemporary high school, one based in nostalgic social interractions. Both with great insights about that time in one's life when one is beginning the maturity enough to understand the world you are thrust in, and making choices as to how to navigate it. You could call one a "dramedy", and the other a "comeda".

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The day you do a search for "Watch '________' online for free", and you come across an access site with a search bar where you can pull up multiple sites from which you can access various series by season and episode, and you are presented with a variety of choices from all over the world, yet every choice you make also presents you with a number of pop-up irritants, ranging from soft-core pr0n to fake hijacking attempts, is when you realize how tricky it can be to trust these presumably illegitimate sites.

When I say it can be done with the patience of Job and the risk of needing VPN, pop-up blockers, anti-virusware, and an overall faith that, these wouldn't exist if they didn't have an ulterior purpose other than giving surfers free television...I may or may not be speaking from experience ;) ...and, I most certainly am not providing this information as an encouragement to break laws, incur unexpected charges or risk the security and stability of your internet connection. :tsk:

...said the guy who claims to have watched over 20 major series last year alone, from all major broadcast networks, Hulu, Showtime, Starz, HBO, CBSAllAccess, Netflix and other original sources, none of which I have legitimate access to.

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Okay.

25. Evil-link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.