My strange journey through speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by luiscardoso88, Dec 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

o_O 5 sets of speakers in the span of how many years ?

2. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

You really should demo a few different amps with your current speakers, maybe even a Rega amp. I agree with a few others that stated you may be hearing your amps sound signature in the mix and that might be part of the thinner or recessed mids you do not like. Depending on what your source is, might even be the DAC built into your amp if that’s what you’re using as a DAC. I’d personally try switching things up other then your speakers for a moment since speaker swapping hasn’t given you bliss yet.

3. james

james Summon The Queen

I set a friend up with a pair of RS3’s and a Brio-R some years back when they were new models. In her small downtown Annapolis living room, they’re fantastic on either side of her fireplace backed up against the wall. A super fun party speaker that’s easy on the ears.

she went away for a few months and I ended up keeping her speakers for her during that time. In my room, they were the worst speakers I’d ever had.

The room is everything! In her room, I wouldn’t trade those speakers for anything; though maybe I’d want to see what Epos ES11/14’s sound like…or some Kans, or LS 3/5’s. (or some DBL’s if I’m allowed to get carried away).

bhazen likes this.
  4. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Hmmn, I’ve only had four pairs of main speakers since I started in the hobby on 1978. Helped, I suppose, that in 2000 I bought the best speakers I could not quite afford and never looked back. All my changes, AR12 to Infinity RS2.5 to Infinity RS1b to finally Genesis 201 were both expected and delivered improvements. I have replaced amps with less expensive models and gained sonically though, so I’m sure it happens with speakers also.

luiscardoso88 likes this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Awesome speakers! Those were what was in the best system I've ever heard -- an all-Naim system, 500-level electronics & power supplies, to demo the then-new CD555. Sigh; if only I had a spare $150,000 ...

james likes this.
  6. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Any chance that what you're experiencing is better acoustics in her space? The room means a lot, and perhaps the company...

7. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

3 words of advice taken from my own experience.

1. Room acoustics
    2. Speaker placement
    3. Get a subwoofer.

1. Look into your room acoustics first if you haven't done before or else any speaker will sound bad. And yes, small things matter!
    2. Try to get the best placement. Post a photo here, maybe we can spot some issues...
    3. Don't take this wrong. A good musical sub (REL) will not annoy your neighbours, it WILL allow you to listen to a lower level (which you do as you mentioned 70db) while enjoying a fuller (as opposed to thin) room filling sound.

Another suggestion, if you like to listen to lower volumes regularly, get a good implemented and DYNAMICAL loudness (some dacs have them). A dynamical loudness can be set as you wish and will switch off once your volume gets loud enough to not need it.
    Quit buying new speakers and look into these things first is my suggestion.

jonwoody likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Speakers can be funny. You buy a pair that should be better in every respect, at least they are on paper. They cost more, look better, have more drivers, yadda, yadda… then you live with them for a while and finally conclude that they sound better in one way or another, but ultimately they just don’t connect you with the music the way your “lesser” pair did.

For me, every time I try to deviate from my Spendors or Stirlings I end up right back with them, even though I know they’re not perfect.

My suggestion: don’t focus on price or alleged superiority of the technology, focus on how they make you feel. Do you have fun when listening to the Regas and less fun with the ATCs? If so, that’s all that matters.

As mentioned above, a room makes a massive contribution to a system’s sound. So you may prefer the RX-1s to the ATCs in your friend’s setup but actually prefer the ATCs in your room.

9. luiscardoso88

luiscardoso88 Forum Resident Thread Starter

4 sets in 2 years.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  10. luiscardoso88

Her space has better acoustics and that’s for sure. All speakers I’ve tried sound better in her room than in mine.

The company… well, we’re neighbors, so she stops around here a lot as well.

11. luiscardoso88

Room acoustics do matter a lot but I’m not interested in making the compromises it’d take. Speaker placement… well, not a big issue - with the ATCs, at least. Even when right against the wall the bass doesn’t increase all that much. And it’s fine as I really appreciate their nimble, detailed bass (that I can still faintly hear at around 32Hz).

Regarding the subwoofer: I had one made by a company that used to build RELs (BK Electronics). Sealed box, 150w AB class amplifier, 10” downfiring driver, handmade in the UK, no dealers. Should’ve been great. But I just couldn’t get along with it, even after months of fiddling with all the adjustments.

bever70 likes this.
  12. luiscardoso88

I totally agree with you: we should go with what makes us happy.

After 48h of having the RX-1 in my room, I connected the ATCs again and there’s a refinement and body to the music that the RX-1 lack, even if the mids sound incredible.

If I were on tighter budget, the RX-1 would make an excellent alternative and I would be happy with them. In my room (that makes all speakers sound lighter in the bass), the RX-1 were too anemic in the bass for me - and I’m not demanding when it comes to bass depth. The treble can also be, for the lack of a better word - splashy on some recordings. The ATCs have the energy without ever overcooking it.

It was just a possibility I considered. And I thank you all for your insights and opinions. It’s always interesting to exchange different points of view.

Cheers!

Toneh likes this.
  13. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Wow!

14. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am glad that after our discussions the other day you've now scratched the itch (lucky you were able to loan these from your friend) and found you already had the best available compromise for you.

Enjoy your ATC's, they really are quite excellent speakers. Happy listening!

jonwoody likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.