My thoughts on why 'Revolver' has eclipsed 'Pepper' as the Beatles' masterpiece

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by action pact, Sep 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

If the Beatles were only a great rock and roll band, the "greatest album discussion" would be between Revolver, the White Album, and maybe Abbey Road.

Such as it was, the Beatles were a lot more than a rock band, and Pepper is them at their most innovative and influential. I don't think it's as good as Abbey Road, but Abbey Road didn't define an era in the way Pepper did.

mbleicher1, Hermes and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Since they are all good albums, I don't get the point.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

It's called "Talking about The Beatles for the sake of talking about The Beatles"...happens here a lot.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Quoting another debate:

"Pepper is just so lighthearted and fun and bright and escapist. Revolver has some amazing songs, but it tries way to hard at being profound."​

5. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Pepper = Songs + context of 1967
    Revolver = Songs

The further we go from 1967 and the fewer the numbers who recall Pepper as "an event" rather than just a record release, the more people just focus on the actual songs.

Hootsmon, ohnothimagen and starduster like this.

6. I blame Mike Love.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  7. Him too!

starduster likes this.
  8. tages

tages Senior Member

I’d like to think Lennon had more depth than that. He knew a good melody when he heard one. Why would he put his name on it otherwise?

9. tages

tages Senior Member

What? I thought the whole point of the Beatles was that they were much more than just Rock and Roll.

“Good Day Sunshine” is an expression of pure joy with an infectious original melody to boot.

The Beatles were many different amazing things!

DocShipe likes this.
  10. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Once Yoko came in it seems like Lennon had very little depth for McCartney anymore.

11. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

It's a pure McCartney " granny" moment.

12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Sure, because at that point Lennon decided he was a SERIOUS ARTIST!!!!!, and as far as he was concerned Paul wasn't, McCartney was just a guy who wrote songs about "boring people doing boring things".

mbleicher1 likes this.
  13. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

If we’re talking songs and creative zeitgeist, then Rubber Soul should eclipse Revolver in my opinion

pmc7070 likes this.
  14. tages

tages Senior Member

And I love it!

15. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Interestingly the one granny track I can tolerate is the one that gets slammed the most which is When I'm 64.
    For me it fits the context of the attempt at a concept of Pepper.

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

That last bit about Revolver is one of the more asinine comments I have read here, and believe me, the competition is tough.

mbleicher1 likes this.
  17. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

I find both Revolver and Pepper so emotionaly anemic. They are fooling around in the studio and not competing with anybody or among themselves. But at least Pepper has some vague concept about it and great sequencing. Revolver is just a bunch of tracks in random order. It's disjoined because each track is very different. The whole album seem very unmusical especially compared to beautiful Rubber Soul. For example I can never get into Eleanor Rigby. It's supposed to sound classical and pretty, but Paul seems like he's faking it. Maybe it's because I'm forced to listen to mono which I can't really enjoy anymore, but it's the only good way to listen to the album as of today. Same goes for the singles, I've no idea why Paperback Writer and Rain are supposed to be good. I didn't own Past Masters as a kid, so I have no nostalgia about them.

Back to the thread, Rubber Soul is the Beatles masterpiece.

rockerreds likes this.
  18. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I'm not quite sure that Revolver has completely replaced Pepper as THE Beatles' album. Pepper's stock has certainly fallen, but I'd like to see a poll if not already done pitting Rubber Soul against Revolver, which as we know George thought of as Part 1 and 2 of the same thing.

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Don t see any need to compare these-in different ways-brilliant and timeless albums
    What s the point ?

Dan The Man1 and Jupitermadcat like this.
  20. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I don’t think Sgt. Pepper’s stock has fallen anywhere except in these endless SHF Beatles threads.

21. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Record store clerk checking in, I can say that, at least with the under 30 crowd, Pepper's stock has fallen a bit and the white album reigns supreme.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  22. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

So Revolver is “very unmusical,” huh? I learn many new things on this forum every single day.

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Ohhhhkay!

Dan The Man1 and Marc Perman like this.
  24. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

I think both albums are masterpieces (whatever that brings to mind). I listen to Revolver, though, much like I listen to a
    band's best-of, or greatest hits. When I put on Sgt. Pepper I listen to it as a connected experience. I rarely play the full
    Revolver but I'm very likely to play the entire Sgt. Pepper. Understand that I am not making a case for Pepper's tunes
    as lyrically or thematically (or otherwise) connected but I hear the album as a distinct whole vs. Revolver's individual
    tracks. Perhaps some of that has to do with hearing individual Revolver songs on the radio (and much less Pepper on the radio).

25. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I think it's pretty easy why certain people think Revolver is greater than Sgt. Peppers as many view Revolver as a clear stepping point to Sgt. Peppers.

Sgt. Peppers like Revolver is an extremely eclectic pop rock album of musical styles with various different sounds and recording techniques. Psychedelia was pretty new when The Beatles were creating songs like "I'm Only Sleeping", "Tomorrow Never Never Knows", "Love You To" and "She Said She Said" and all had little precedent. Songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "I'm Only Sleeping" had to invent new sounds from scratch to create the sounds they wanted to make. Hence why The Beatles were worried the album might not be well received.

Rather than just appropriate guitars the Beatles used backward tapes, created tape looped sound collages and manipulated in all sorts of manner backwards, forward and sped up,and use of Indian instruments to create their brand of Psychedelic Rock.

I see definite similarities to "Eleanor Rigby" and "She's Leaving Home" as there is no beat instruments it's just vocals and string arrangement,. "Got To Get You Into M Life" is somewhat similar to "Good Morning Good Morning " as well as "Love You To" and Within Without You"

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.