My Three Sons - Color or Black and White episodes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bencasey, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I like Gilligan but it was in terms of the music, and the writing and direction. (The earlier B&W were a bit sillier, something creator,producer, and theme-song writer Sherwood Schwartz ("The Brady Bunch") admitted himself, especially regaridng the very earliest.) Someone said on "The Flinstones" in http://www.jumptheshark.com. about the inferiooir color 'Stones but they were always in color..

These stayed in black and white
    "The Patty Duke Show" (1963-66)
    "The Donna Reed Show" (1958-66)
    "Car 54, Where are you?" (1961-63)
    "Sing Along With Mitch" (1961-64)
    "Ozzie and Harriet" (1952-66)
    "Father Knows Best" (1954-60)

A Few shows like "Flicka" and "Disneyland" were shot in color (even Technicolor back then for some) but most stayed B&W,. Note that
    three of out the six I noted as exclusively B&W stayed thru 1966 when
    more things got "in color".

2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Is it possible that the original network airings for the first couple of seasons were in black and white?

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Yup.

:) afaik, Walt Disney's was filmed in color from the start, anticipating the change. Unfortunately over the years the color elements have been lost for a great many episodes, leaving us to assume it was filmed in B&W and later changed to color. That was a purty Living Color peacock; would've made up for the Living Stereo nipper if they'd teamed up eh? :winkgrin:

4. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Count me as another "old school" fan of the B & W episodes of My Three Sons. I never liked the Uncle Charley character. He was way too cranky.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm sorry but you're not quite right.

"Sing Along With Mitch" was always broadcast in color.
    "Ozzie and Harriet" (1952-66) had many color episodes, beautifully filmed, by the way; some of the best color photography of the era.

6. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

The Dick Van Dyke Show was never shown in color, either. Like some of the above shows, Dick Van Dyke Show ended before the big push to have all networks shows broadcast in color.

7. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

THE PATTY DUKE SHOW ended BECAUSE they didn't want to spend the money to upgrade to color.

Woulda been cool to see them in full blazin' color. Oh well.

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Here's an example of DIsney Color which we never got to see back in "the day":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9YQggpFnPQ

9. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Hoffman
    I haven't seen one of those in 35 years. Is it true that Fred filmed all of his shots for the entire season in like three weeks so he could lounge the rest of the year? That must have been a heck of a continuity problem..

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but that's basically it. His contract stipulated that he work only 65 days in two segments with a 10 week hiatus in between. This was the way they worked for the whole series run.

TVLand ran shows a year or so ago called TVLand Confidential. "Robbie" and "Chip" said that with Fred often not there, they spoke their lines to a broom. Their lines and Fred's would then be edited together.

10. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

The black & white My Three Sons episodes were better scripted and paced than the color ones (Ernie and Uncle Charley got on my nerves), but strangely, I loved me some Dodie (Dawn Lyn). She always threw a few good zingers at the grown-ups or her step-brothers - she was far superior to Cindy Brady in that aspect. Try catching Dawn "Dodie" Lyn in a weird movie called "Devil Times Five". Her brother Leif Garrett co-stars. 1974. Dawn & Leif are disturbed children on the loose in a secluded mountain cabin resort. It was also known as "PeopleToys" and "The Horrible House On The Hill." And who's old enough to remember her from that classic ABC After School Special, "Five Finger Discount", where Dawn's pre-teen friends peer-pressure her into a life of petty crime at the mall?!

The Petticoat Junction DVD with the black and white episodes are key, particularly thanks to sex kitten Jeannine Riley - but they need to release a "Best of" featuring the choice color ones (especially the one where the girls all go-go dance in the lobby of the Shady Rest hotel).

11. bencasey

bencasey New Member Thread Starter

Not MANY, only the last season of 26 rarely seen episodes.

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

14. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Which is why all the black and white episodes have replacement music on the DVDs.

15. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Which is also why hardcore fans successfully shamed the studio into cancelling the release of any more dubbed editions of "My Three Sons"... for the time being, anyway.

-Kevin

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ha. Most people don't give a damn about music replacement in TV series.

17. bencasey

I don't know what people you know but amongst my collector friends who are actually into this stuff, we all care very much. That's why I'm just going with transfers from my off-air records from Nick at Nite.

18. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

I kinda like it myself, I think it sounds like 1962-era Jan and Dean, only not quite. Don Grady is a good singer, and I like the song itself, but the backing track is not quite as hard-edged, for lack of a better term, like they would have done it (think of the production values on 'Linda' applied to this song, and see if that makes sense).

I remember My Three Sons with the color episodes, haven't ever seen a black and white one all the way through.

19. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Never have seen this show...

20. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

OK by me.

21. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I always liked the B&W episodes of "My Three Sons" best. It is really too bad that they couldn't keep up the quality AND add color, but TV was always about selling advertising, so the budgets were necessarily limited and something had to give. Of course, that's no excuse for poor script writing if you ask me.

I agree with all of the other comments about shows being better in B&W than in color with one notable exception: Bewitched, I have always preferred Dick York as Darren regardless of whether or not the photography is color or B&W. Once he left the show it went straight downhill, but I still watched because I was in love with Elizabeth Montgomery.

22. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I just saw a bunch of My Three Sons DVD's at my local SAMs club store. They had the first few seasons, black and white. Do these have replacement soundtracks? Should they be avoided? They were not that expensive.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes they have replacement soundtracks.

24. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

But you would only know if had every episode etched in your brain or if someone told you.

25. bencasey

Not true. I hadn't watched The Fugitive since I recorded them off A&E in the mid-90s yet when they put them out with the horrible replacement music, it was immediately evident. Sorry, but I don't think its too hard to tell the difference between an orchestra and a cheesy synthesizer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.