My Three Sons

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeInFla, Jun 12, 2017.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

Barry Livingston's story is interesting, I picked up his book last year and it is a decent read. (And I dont think I paid that much for it, I think mine was paperback but Amazon has the hardcover, used copies are cheap).

https://www.amazon.com/Importance-Being-Ernie-Hollywood-Survivor/dp/0806535091

[​IMG]

He goes into great detail about life on the show and life after. There is an interesting story of him and Ron Howard trying out for the same part and they continually tried to upstage each other.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The only shows that were better in color might be the ones that only had a black & white pilot like HOGANS HEROES and GET SMART.

One might argue that DARK SHADOWS was better in color, but that could go either way.

3. MikeInFla

In 1977 ABC did a very strange Thanksgiving special with My Three Sons and The Partridge Family. It does feature all the sons, including Mike (and Sally). I have never seen the full episode but here is a snipet.

4. MikeInFla

My daughters really enjoyed this one because they got to see "Wally" on My Three Sons. Tony Dow will forever be Wally no matter what show he is in, he's such a likable guy.

5. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I Dream Of Jeannie? Kind of dumb too, because a lot of shows in its first season were in color already.

6. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

That Thanksgiving Reunion was interesting because they got pretty much everyone - the four sons, and all the daughters-in-law, and an elderly Bill Demarest and even a new dog playing Tramp. Except for poor Dawn Lyn (Dodie). She apparently wasn’t even asked and was hurt. If they were going to have Meredith MacRae (Sally) who wasn’t really in that many episodes (29), the least they could have done was have Dawn Lyn, too.

7. MIKEPR

MIKEPR Forum Resident

I'm sure there was other stuff on and you could of found other things to do and never mind the lack of channels back then.

8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

MeTV does run MASH and Andy Griffith roughly in order, though they don’t air the color years of Andy (they have the rights, but the later episodes aren’t popular, so they have left them on the shelf). The MASH finale is 2 1/2 hours long, so MeTV doesn’t run as part of the regular series. Instead, they air it a movie special in primetime every once in a while (the last time was last Veterans’ Day).

MikeInFla likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

Ok thanks I'll try and keep an eye out for it. Have only seen the last MASH when it originally aired and I don't remember too much about it.

10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I just watched an episode from the first season, episode 3 downloaded from Internet Archive.
    Truly a great episode!
    I never once thought of "Fred Mertz" watching William Frawley as "Bub".
    Looking forward to seeing other B&W episodes.

Also, I was struck by how high strung Robbie was as a young teen. He was so calm and collected- a Fred McMurray Jr in a lot of ways- in the color episodes.

Mylene and MikeInFla like this.
  11. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

MeTV in the morning. Nice way to start the day in these troubled times.

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Gomer Pyle.

YardByrd likes this.
  13. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I noticed that, too. They changed/matured his character once he was “promoted” to oldest son.

14. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

What the hell was the point of have MacMurray do that Scottish uncle or whatever in the last season if they were going to dub every line? Why not just hire a different actor? MacMurray hated the show anyway, why have him on screen more often just to have him dubbed? Was MacMurray still a hot property in 1972, that they were hoping for better ratings if they showed him more often?

15. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

don’t know but the joke was that everyone remarks how much the two look alike but neither of them sees the slightest resemblance. MacMurray’s film career closed down in the late 1960s...he did the show on the condition he do two 30 days of filming, leaving time for movies and fishing.
    Actors doing the same role for years often play a look alike relative for “more challenge”.

16. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

My Three Son's, Dennis the Mennis, The Rifleman, Sky King, Sea Hunt. All good back when.

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

whenever I see these 1960's TV show threads I smile and remember the great times I had watching them when they were on each week...there was so much to watch and nearly all of it was great! I am glad I was around when it was all happening...the 60's were incredible...

ted321 likes this.
  18. Michael

Indeed...and a hundred more! LOL.

19. Michael

yes it is! : )

20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Just watched it this morning.

21. Michael

Cool!

Jack Lord likes this.
  22. inperson

inperson Senior Member

MeTV is totally wearing MASH down to the nub. Enough already! Can't they find something else?

23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I remember talking with a guy who worked in the film department of a local TV station which was running "I Love Lucy." Apparently Viacom had the shows numbered a certain way (maybe production order) and it didn't make sense -- I don't know the show that well but maybe they had episodes with Little Ricky before episodes where Lucy is pregnant or something. He told me they relied on a book about the series which listed them in airdate order, so the sequence made more sense.

24. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

MeTV does a lot of things right, but they don’t rotate their schedule enough or make many new acquisitions (unlike Antenna TV). MeTV gets just a few new shows per year; their big acquisitions in the last year were The Waltons and The Flintstones. But then they’ve left MASH, Hogan’s Heroes, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and Perry Mason in the same time periods for years and years.

inperson likes this.
  25. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Anyone know if the DVD's of My Three Sons is worth getting? Does it have the original theme?