Mystery Ebay Seller

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by -=Rudy=-, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

I came across a photo on Ebay I was interested in bidding on. The seller's ID is "former-radio-dj", and he resides in the 'burbs of Detroit. Reading descriptions of some of his items, he'd been in Detroit radio for 20+ years.

I've just sent an e-mail with a question about an item. I think I did it more out of curiosity to find out who it is. ;) FWIW, he is selling off a lot of promo items, which look like typical radio station booty including promo CD singles:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...er-radio-dj&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

If any Detroiters are lurking here, I'll report back. ;) In the meantime, anyone care to wager? The only "former" DJ that comes to mind is Allan Almond, who quit WNIC when they switched to an all-Xmas-music format for the holidays last year. (Unless he's relocated...I don't think he has another radio gig anywhere.) The type of music being auctioned off is sort of in the soft-rock category.

2. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Maybe it's the guy who used to always say, "Baby!"

3. -=Rudy=-

No, that's Arthur Penhallow, and he's still on the air at WRIF for, what, 25 years now? "BABY!!"

The e-mail I got back this morning was from a John Friest, who worked at local oldies station WOMC (104.3) until 2000. The name doesn't ring a bell, but I never listened to the station anyway. I wonder if he went by a pseudonym on the air...

4. Dob

Dob New Member

I'm thinking at least 30 years...but it feels like 50. :(

5. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Ah, WRIF, I still have a couple of bumper stickers from when I lived in East Detroit for a short time.

I also listened to a funny team, one of them was a pro wrestler I think - he was a real character. He did a remake of "Do The Hammerlock You Turkeykneck" - do you know his them by any chance?

6. -=Rudy=-

That team was JJ Johnson and Dick The Bruiser...I think Bruiser was voiced by someone, maybe not a real wrestler. JJ's still on the air, but is now just doing a more relaxed, easygoing morning show with Lynne.

7. Dob

Dob New Member

Definitely not a wrestler...he's a "voice" guy. I think his real name is George Baier, and I believe he is retired from the biz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.