Mystery Science Theater 3.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Curveboy, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

altaeria likes this.
  2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'm in, again, again. I'll always be willing to spend money on this show.

Maybe edit the thread title to be a bit more specific to this new KS campaign (I searched MST3K first and didn't see anything, but then saw this a bit down the page). Just a suggestion, but thanks for starting it!

hi_watt and Curveboy like this.
  3. Curveboy

FYI after about 24 hours we are almost at the first goal of 3 new episodes!!

4. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

You can watch it for free on PlutoTV also.

unclefred likes this.
  5. I’m just not enough of a fan of the new cast to participate this time around (once bitten, twice shy). I wish them success though. And better writers.

6. Curveboy

Sure...but if you want NEW episodes, donate!

7. Very well put and I agree.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

As big a fan I am of the show, I just can't get used to the new cast.
    For me, if it isn't Trace and Kevin, it just isn't Crow and Servo (though Bill Corbett's Sci-Fi Channel era Crow wasn't bad).

hi_watt, slipkid and Zeroninety like this.
  9. Bob Voldar

Bob Voldar Forum Resident

Big fan of the show so I'm in!

Curveboy likes this.
  10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I'll put $100 into this for sure.

Curveboy likes this.
  11. citizensmurf

I hear this all the time, and its not just a symptom of MST3K, but of many film franchises, tv shows, rock bands. The original cast/lineup syndrome: where fans are unable to appreciate a version of something if it isn't what they are 100% already used to.

I personally don't understand it, and I'm not asking you to justify your own values, but I find it an odd thing. The basic premise of the show didn't change, the character archetypes stayed the same. The writing staff has always been a collaborative effort, and even in this new version we have writers from the original series (Mary, Paul and Joel).

I like the show for the sum of its parts, but those parts can be modular. I quite enjoy the new MST3K, and I hope we get several more seasons. That won't happen without fan support, so I also hope old fans can get on board.

Chris DeVoe, altaeria and Curveboy like this.
  12. Curveboy

I only knew Jonah Ray from the Nerdist podcast and didn't think a lot of him...but I thought he was outstanding in the new show, and I saw the live MST tour (twice) with him and it was great.

altaeria and citizensmurf like this.
  13. The original run of the show saw numerous cast changes, all incarnations of which I enjoyed. And I’m good with the new cast... well except for Patton Oswald. He’s the Dave Grohl of TV, showing up exactly where I wish he wouldn’t. To me, the production on the new show is too slick and has nothing of the charm of the original series. I’m also just not being drawn in, and I put that on the writers, both new and old. The new show also seems to be trying too hard / reeks of effort whereas the original show found its humor/pace much more organically. I also find it very smug.

I adore Rifftrax so I’ll just stick with that.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  14. citizensmurf

Fair enough. I don't love everything about the new seasons, but I didn't love everything about the classic ones either.

I don't like the invention exchange, not for the old series and not for the new one. It derived from Joel's stand-up act, but other than a cheap gag, it doesn't really pay off comedically. I preferred the "storyline" of the Sci Fi era when it came to host segments, but there were some great really non-invention host segments from CC that made my side split.

I like some of the new songs, but not all of them. I really miss Kevin as Tom for his singing, but I ultimately love the Tom and Crow characters, and I think many people could play them successfully.

I thought S11 tried to cram in too many overly verbose jokes that made some moments seem very unnatural. S12 lessened up on this. Conversely, the original run had some really dull moments in the theatre that could have been filled with jokes, but were met with silence. This is why my enjoyment of the show (new and old) comes from joining along in the riffing. My brain is just as funny as the writing sometimes, and I usually make myself laugh more times than they do. Watching with someone else who can do the same is also key. My proudest father moment came when my 8 year daughter came up with a riff seconds before the same joke was said on screen (I think it was during "The Magic Sword").

I like the "cheepnis" charm of the original show, but I also like the "slick" charm of the new show. Both have their values, and I don't see them compromising on the production value, as anyone with a YT account and a public domain film can make a cheap version of what they are doing.

altaeria and Curveboy like this.
  15. Curveboy

You bring up some interesting points...for me it's always been the movie. The movie has to have some value for me to enjoy the riffing.
    If the movie is unwatchable, no amount of riffing can save it.

citizensmurf likes this.
  16. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I love MST3K as well as Cinematic Titanic. I thought Jonah did great in his stint and Avalanche, Cry Wilderness and Mac and Me are all up there with the best the show has offered. However, there is one BIG caveat. I know it makes it more difficult and costly, but can we go back to having the comments be live during a viewing rather than assembled and overdubbed which made for too many movie comments and not enough back and forth banter. When I found out about the new technique my enthusiasm waned.

unclefred, Curveboy and Shawn like this.
  17. citizensmurf

I would agree with this, although I do find some redemption in all episodes. Some of the older B&W films are a bit dull overall. I admit the re-watch factor is much higher with a better bad film.

Curveboy and Shawn like this.
  18. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

:righton:

I can't say I have as many pop culture references at my disposal, but my daughter loved the show too because of the bots. This led to a similar father pride moment when we watched Revenge of the Sith on mute and me and my 12 year old daughter overdubbed the dialogue they were saying. She was hilarious, we were in tears a few times. Plus since she was very young we played Godzilla, which involved using Godzilla dolls (and Mothra, Gamera, Rodan, Ghidrah etc.) but instead of attacking each other it was more like Seinfeld, or what The Looney Tunes Show did with the characters.

Curveboy and citizensmurf like this.
  19. Bracton

Bracton Forum Resident

That is true. I finally started watching some Rifftrax on Prime, and boy are those some unwatchable movies. Some seem like made for tv children's movies where riffing them seems boorish to a degree. I generally like them to stick to real movies that had a theatrical release (even if limited release).

Curveboy likes this.
  20. So a subscription to Gizmoplex is the only way to view season 13. Totally get why they’re going this route, but the initial price of $135 for only one season of one ‘TV’ show seems incredibly steep to me. And I assume the price will rise to, say, $150 once the introductory offer is over.

Am I missing something here as far as what a subscriber gets? Say what you will about Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO+, Disney, etc’ s streaming services but at least with those you get access to multiple new shows in a 12 month period and access to multiple other shows/movies.

unclefred likes this.
  21. citizensmurf

I assume most of the subscribers were part of the KS, and you got other perks for your money. The Gizmoplex is in no way comparable to Netflix or any other streaming service for "value". This is an independent company, and you are paying for a boutique (and unique) experience. If successful, they will continue with production for several more seasons.

Curveboy likes this.
  22. Curveboy

The initial price on Kickstarter was for the new season plus development of the Gizmoplex itself, which is still very much a work in progress.

As for what you get with a regular subscription I do not know, but for us backers we get the new episodes, live events, and a rotating selection of classic episodes. I think you can also purchase old episodes to keep in your library.

Shawn likes this.
  23. Here’s a link to the Gizmoplex subscription page:

Pre-order Let's Make More MST3K & Build THE GIZMOPLEX! on BackerKit

I think (?) the Kickstarter participants above a certain dollar threshold have access to the soft launch which starts today, with the subscription linked above starting May 6.

Curveboy likes this.
  24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I agree with you. I like the show but not for that price tag. If they make new shows I’ll wait until they appear somewhere else in a few years.

Shawn likes this.
  25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

As for Cinema Titanic, I watched a live on stage take on The Alien Factor. It was a good laugh.

Shawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.