Mystery Science Theater 3000 some kind of awful

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

You're so wrong it's not even funny. :laugh:

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if one doesn't enjoy the fun there's always a regular copy included IIRC?
    I have a few of the Legend Colorized DVD's with Mike...

3. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

4. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

About 6 years ago I have approx 75% of what I needed to build Tom Servo. But I gave up and sold all the parts on ebay.

One day.....

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There are now sites where you can buy bot parts or even complete bots from builders. :)

6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I have no use for this show, and I say this as someone who has watched some episodes over the years. Some of the jokes are clever, but the overwhelming majority of them are just like desperate fratboy jeers that I've always felt anyone could do off the cuff, and better. It's not a matter of "lacking a sense of humor"; if my friends and I want to make remarks back at the screen (and actually we'd prefer to just watch the friggin' movie), we can make our own clever and derogatory observations, thanks.

So many younger people now automatically think it's natural to laugh at old movies, Period. MST has also created a culture where it's now okay -- even expected -- for people to go to movie revival showings and disrespect the movies publicly (and disrespect the rest of the paying audience at the same time). Yes, I'm sure that people "talked back to the screen" before there ever was MST... but not to this extent, and certainly not with it being "in vogue". (I hope the theater audience respects JAWS when I see it this coming weekend).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    goodiesguy and Mark Nelson like this.
  7. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

They have some of the DVD's at the public library here. Unfortunately hardly any of the consensus 'best' episodes are on those that they have. I wrote down various "best of" lists and could not find any of those episodes beyond one of them!! Used to enjoy it years ago when I would catch some episodes. Pretty sure I rented the movie.

8. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

The jump out of the cart gets me every time. Every time.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

[​IMG]

Which came first?
    But this was "a different set of jaws".

10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

The crowd participation at ROCKY HORROR was relegated just to that film. It was a free-for-all where people who liked the movie went to have a good time with it. Also, they celebrated the film, they didn't ridicule it. The movie itself was meant as a zany good time right from the get-go; it wasn't a serious film.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

MST3K and/or Rifftrax will never do Jaws because it does not merit the treatment. Jaws 3D or Sharknado on the other hand...

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Some of the movies are so bad even their riffing can't save me from boredom, but I almost always enjoy MST3K.

No, MST3K's not a professionally written "squirt gun" comedy like a Tina Fey show, it's a public access goof. No reason you can't love both.

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

As a matter of fact...

http://www.rifftrax.com/jaws

14. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Point taken there, Ken... but what I meant in mentioning JAWS was, sometimes MST3K hipsters take it a step further and rank on public showings of films that really don't deserve it. I've seen classics get vocally lampooned in a revival theater. But one thing I forgot to mention was that sometimes MST3K would also jab at movies which really were pretty good and didn't deserve it. Two examples which come to mind are THIS ISLAND EARTH and REVENGE OF THE CREATURE.

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I think this show has had a strong but subliminal effect on me, because I find myself rifftracking everything on TV, to the extent that I'm always being told to "stop yelling at the TV!"

svoegtlin likes this.
  16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Touché! I forgot that Rifftrax sometimes goes for the extremely popular as well as the extremely awful. :)

17. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Your daughter has a great sense of humor!

18. 'Good' (whatever that means) movies have been parodied long before MST3K and long afterwards. Just look at the Academy Awards ceremony to see parodies of what many consider the top movies of the year.

19. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Loved this show. Always thought some of their best jokes were contained within the lead-in short films (typically decades-old public service announcement-type stuff) that padded out the episodes where they riffed on very short movies.

20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

OK.

"Manos: The Hands of Fate."

21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Say "No" to Yes.

22. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

For those that want them... here are my random MST3K thoughts ;) :

MST3K was something I got introduced to by my then roomates in the mid 1990s. It was the perfect kind of late night show for a bunch of young guys in the early 20s and had the ability to be edgy without being vulgar or raunchy.

I also think it was perfect for its time- when I think of MST3K I think of other 90s cultural offerings such as alternative music and when the world wide web started to see mass adoption.

The fast delivery of the one liners and references and assumes the viewer knows a lot of what they're about. A lot of comedy shows didn't treat the audiences so intelligently. In many ways I think doing so helped pave the way for later stuff such as Family Guy.

MST3K did what many of my friends and I had been doing- "riffing" on older films that often had low production values, wooden acting or plot holes you could fly a 747 through. The difference was MST3K did it better. We weren't doing this in a theater, it was always at home.

MST3K isn't for everybody, but frankly I think it had the ability to be either downright hilarious or brilliant, something few comedy shows achieve.

For those that are so troubled with the show, I'd be interested in what kind of comedy content you do find interesting.

23. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

MST3K was a cult show, and despite the fact that the devoted are somewhat numerous, it was not so popular that it is responsible for effecting a whole generation. People talking at movies is more of a sign of people today having a lack of consideration for those around them as a whole than it is because a guy and two puppets made it ok to do so.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

My two favorites are....

A Date With Your Family

and Why Study Industrial Arts ("Because you're bad at math...").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPXVtFcl5U

25. Lost In The Flood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.