NAD 3020

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bellyrivergnp, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellyrivergnp

bellyrivergnp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a NAD 3020 that has a loud hum for about 45 seconds when you first turn it on. A youtube says it is two specific caps in the preamp section. A tech replace those 2 plus two more that his scope identified. It sounds great but that initial hum is still there. Is this just a characteristic of this particular NAD ? Anyone?

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I worked at NAD back then fixing stuff for a while, and the most common failure I saw on the 3020 were the two FETs (Field Effect Transistors) Q509 + Q510 just before the preamp out jacks. They are like switches, and are supposed to close and let the signal through after a short time delay when you first turn the unit on, to avoid just what you are hearing. They're also hooked to the mute button. Often they failed open, killing a channel or two - in your case they apparently failed closed or are being forced closed by the circuit so they don't mute the turn-on thump. Get a schematic (easy to find on the net) and give it back to your guy telling him to look at that section and he'll fix it.

Fishoutofwater and dbsea like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.