NAD C356bee - is it in good form?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jochiebochie, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jochiebochie

Jochiebochie Member Thread Starter

Hey guys, first time poster here. Sorry if I don't post this in the correct sub.

I bought a NAD C356bee used, and when I got home, I noticed that the LED's for the sources 'mp' and 'tuner' don't work. Also, I suspect that the previous owner ran it very hot in a closed surrounding. On the circuit board some of the small transistors were bended to the side. One transistor (d110) looked like it has gotten too hot, see pic: Imgur . Is there anything I can do to make sure it won't break soon? Or should I return it to the previous owner? He said that would be ok if I found something wrong with it. Thanks in advance.

2. Jochiebochie

Jochiebochie Member Thread Starter

Btw, it sounds like an upgrade over my NAD C326bee! Better bass, more grip on my MA RS6's. Bigger soundstage and more clarity. So it's not all bad, I just get a bit suspicious.

3. Metamodern

Metamodern Forum Resident

It's a great amp. I have one myself driving some older B&W's. If I were you I'd contact your nearest NAD dealer and see if you can get it refurbished a bit. I suspect that if you do that, the unit will serve you faithfully for many years.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'd return it. Severe overheating has likely damaged other things you can't easily see - and those problems just haven't shown up yet.

5. noway

noway Forum Resident

I wouldn't keep it if you have the option to return. Or you could have the seller pay for repairs at an authoried facility.

6. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

looks like that D110 diode got hot, which seems to be part of the supply circuit.

depending on what you paid, i'd have it checked by a service technician or returned.

this amp is a great unit when in full working condition.

7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I still use mine and love it! Not as good as my Parasound HINT, but very musical. I would simply replace that D110, I bet it is only a couple bucks from a electrical parts store.....Or find another unit.

8. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

That's one of the things about these later NAD integrated amps that gave me pause, that some of them reportedly run very warm to hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.