NAD - M10 - New screen problems!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by downtherabbithole, Mar 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downtherabbithole

downtherabbithole Active Member Thread Starter

Hi all!
    So, uggggh, my NAD M10 has developed a news issue....

Every time the unit goes to sleep/standby, either auto or a via a 'hard' standby (using rear switch) and then 'wakes up', again, either by touch/input or 'hard' wake-up, the screen lights up, but instead of returning to the interface or familiar boot-up sequence, its just all white with some random 'movement', then sticks at a static haze white nothingness... (I'll try to post a pic or bid soon) - but to paint a picture, think turning on a monitor or TV without any input - just the 'lit-up' blank screen. I've tried both a hard reboot and rebooting via iOS app, but it returns to the same 'fog' screen.

If I physically pull the power cord, wait 30 seconds, and plug back in, it boots up fine and functions fine... but as soon as it goes to sleep, and the wakes up, right back to the screen issue.

I did recently (just a few days ago) update the units software/firmware, and was so pleased with the new features and other little fixes, but now this %$#@*! screen issue. The update may very well have absolutely nothing to do with the screen issue, but it's quite a coincidence that its happened right afterward.

Anyone else experience this (or other) screen issue?

OH, I should mention, it plays fine, even with the screen not functioning - I can do basically everything from the app, and sound seems perfectly good.

I should also mention, when i do get the screen to properly boot (unplugging, waiting, re-powering) it looks like there's some screen burn-in (VU meter ghosting, etc) which I don't remember seeing before, or may have just not noticed - but tit's there, nonetheless. I'll try to post a pic of that as well.

I finally just did a complete factory reset, but that hasn't corrected either. I'm out of ideas.

HELP!

2. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Don't let go into standby?

500Homeruns likes this.
  4. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

My has gone into standby nearly everyday for two years without issue. I work from home full time and it goes into standby often several times a day without issue. I have heard of some issues using aWiFi. I use a wireless access point to Ethernet converter and all is well. Now using Roon with the M10..don’t get me started.

5. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

According to that support group it's related to interference being received by the IR sensor. Interesting fault.

6. downtherabbithole

So, no luck finding a real fix so far - but I have discovered something interesting....

In the settings there is an "LCD Temporary Display" option - which essentially shuts off the screen when not in use when engaged - ie, adjust the volume, screen lights up just long enough to show the change, then after a bit it turns back off. Nice if you want a completely non-distracting, no-lights stealth look, but obviously completely not great if, like myself, you enjoy the beautiful blue 'McIntosh-like virtual VU meters - IMO, the M10's standout aesthetic feature.

Anyway, what I discovered is that when this temp-display option is 'on', the screen malfunction issue never occurs - it switches on and off perfectly, no matter how many times nor how long in-between. But turn that feature back off, and while the screen works fine as long as in use, as soon as the unit goes to sleep, touch the screen or 'wake-up' with the app or a remote - and, doh! - dead screen, again. And again the only way to correct is to physically pull power cable, wait, re-insert and power back up... only for it to happen again, exactly the same way the next time...

I may be wrong, but since engaging the 'temp-display' option seems to band-aid (albeit at the cost of actually utilizing the screen) - I'm inclined to believe this is simply a software/update issue and should be easy to correct with a firmware update. I am surprised that no-one else has reported, though. I may have just been the first squeaky wheel to complain, but I just hope I'm not actually experiencing some kind of hardware-failure - I just don't know enough about what may be physically happening here.

Time to shoot NAD an email...

7. downtherabbithole

Was excited to see an update was released - BluOS 3.8.8 - installed and rebooted with fingers crossed that the screen issue would be solved...

NOPE.

8. Stuart Yaniger

Stuart Yaniger Well-Known Member

dtrh, I'm likely just around the corner from you. Had a lot of experience with the M10, a lot of contacts at NAD, Lenbrook, and BlueSound, and would be happy to compare notes. Drop me a line at [email protected]

9. Have the same problem for months already. After loads of error reports and discussions with BluOS and NAD technicians they cannot solve it and advise me to send it for repair. So that means weeks without my stereo ... This is a serious fail for a 3000 euro unit. Now also the last couple of week it suddenly stops producing sound. The unit seems to function normally (can switch inputs, Tidal or SPotify seems to be playing, touchscreen works) but no sound at all. Reboot don't work, only power plug out, wait a minute or 2 and then power plug back in works (at once, but sometimes I also have to wait a few minutes then). It's going for repair this week, hope they find something but I do not feel confident about it. Lost all faith in the unit and thinking of replacing it by another brand (no BluOS nor NAD for me anymore), but the thing is that I cannot sell it either because of its malfunctions.

10. Hello @downtherabbithole , what is the status of this problem ? Has it been fixed ? Is the unit repaired ? I'm curious because mine still has the problem and thinking of sending it in for repair (if possible).

11. Blackspider

Blackspider Active Member

Did you send it for repair? is yes what was the issue?

Thanks.

12. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

Aren't these so new they are still under warranty? I looked hard at these based on reviews as a replacement for my aging Rotel RX 1052, but too few analog inputs at this price. It struck me as a $500 integrated with a $400 interface that got marked up way beyond it's cost. Good luck to everyone on the repairs/returns.

13. I did send it for repair to NAD/Dali. They were not able to resolve and wanted to return it without being repaired. The M10 also had another problem : it sometimes stopped producing music at all. Though still responsive to inputs, no sound. Only power reset could solve this. Same thing : not reproducible and no repair. So software support said both problems were hardware related and hardware repair said both problems must be in the software. Finally my supplier (Stassen, netherlands) decided to replace it with a brand new one. I am convinced there are a few basic problems with the M10 (have seen both problems reported a few times in fora) which are up until now unresolved. Hope my new unit (no matter what, this'll be my last NAD definitely) functions properly.

14. Both above mentioned problems (non responsive screen and lost sound on all inputs) occured again on my brandnew replaced M10 ! One thing is for sure : there are serious problems in the M10. This annoys so much that the good quality of sound does not weigh enough for me anymore. Also because NAD/BluOS point to eachother instead of fixing : hardware repair said it is software and software support says it must be hardware. Definitely my last M10, my last NAD. Never again.

SonicCzar and Blackspider like this.
  15. Follow up : after some invest support informed me to reinstall the firmware via USB. I did, and after a reboot the M10 immediately came up with the grey screen again (just as I supposed). Another reboot, another grey screen. Then a full power cycle and finally the screen restored.

These M10 's are a hopeless case for me. Nearly a year with sound drops en grey screens, weekly reboots and power cycles necessary etc and support not able to fix it. Got a new one in between which also has same problems. Changed all cabling, changed it back again, none succesfull. My advise : never buy an M10 , it drives you mad !

16. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

And this is why I don't why audio gear which require software/firmware updates.Pity to hear though, it's a good looking piece of kit.

17. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about your issues. Maddening indeed!! I probably would have given up way before you did in if I had the same issues.

Just as another data point: I have had my NAD M10 for about a year and a half now and it gets used every day. I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with mine.

It's used exclusively for streaming internet radio or playing my ripped collection from two BlueSound Vault 2i's. All are hardwired, no WIFI connections. I do not have anything connected to any other inputs. All control is via an iPad running the BluOS control app.

I bought it as a way to provide music in our den (I have a dedicated system in the living room) and because it's simple to operate so my wife can use it without worry. It's performed perfectly for what we wanted it to do.

I hope that you find something else that meets your needs without being so frustrating!

18. Thanks. Was on the phone again with support they want to investigate it again altough being the 2nd machine with the same problems. My supplier offered to take it back and return my money to invest in something else. So 2 options left, but since I have no lost faith in NAD/BluOS my choice will probably to go for something else.
    On Eigenvector, glad to hear you are satisfied with yours. Sound is great though. My M10 is hard wired too, no wifi either. Streaming Tidal and Spotify and TV via optical.
    Anyone tips for a comparable machine ?

19. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I'm glad to hear that your supplier will refund your money. It sounds like this is the best choice. It would definitely be my choice after what you've gone through.

As for alternatives, I only looked at two units with this kind of functionality. The NAD M10 and the Naim Unity Atom. My dealer had both. I liked the Naim a lot and it sounded different from the NAD but great too. For me, the decision was easy since I already owned a BlueSound Vault 2i and have purchased a second one since. The Vault 2i just integrated perfectly with the M10 running BluOS. If my library had been on a NAS instead, the choice would have been harder. The Naim is quite nice.

20. One last post in my long story, an excerpt from my (frustrated) last mail to tech support :
    Again 2 days without any news from support. I've come to the end of my patience. My supplier says I have misinterpreted their proposal of refund and this has to be handled conform guarantee regulations. But what is guarantee worth if support can't help me and after 1,5 year I'm still stuck with a malfunctioning M10 ? Enough is enough. The M10 goes to the attic as soon as I can afford myself to buy something else. No NAD nor BluOS for me anymore. Besides that it has also become clear to me that it is of no use to buy at a dedicated supplier if it all comes down to plain rules of guarantee. Just finding the cheapest price on the internet shall be more than fine for me in the future because thát is a greater advantage.

21. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I keep my NAD M12 on all the time. I went into the settings and changed it so it doesn’t go into standby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.