NAD M10, Quad Atera Solus Play, or ???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking to get a "lifestyle" integrated amp to be the hub of my system.

Current:

Rotel RA-12 amp
    Sony UBP-X1100ES BR/CD/SACD
    Denon Dp2500 turntable
    Triangle BR03 speakers
    SVS SB1000 subwoofer

My goal is a smaller physical size unit and adding streaming capability for Amazon music and files on my NAS. I will be adding a phono preamp for my turntable

Quad looks sleek, has DTS Play-Fi, CD player, Class AB amp. Doesn't need an APP to control amp.

NAD has BlueOS, coverart touch screen, Dirac, Class D

Any thoughts or owners have feedback?

I do like the full touch screen of the NAD, however Quad looks beautiful in silver.

2. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

There are a few threads where the NAD M10 is mentioned - using the search option should find some of those.

Based on forum posts, most seem very pleased overall with the functionality and SQ of the M10. However.... Some have encountered issues such as auto-shutting down for no apparent reason and others have had issues with the screen. In short, very good if you don't have the issues but really frustrating if you do.

One option might be to get a conventional integrated (would any of Rega's current reduced-footprint range cut it?) and add an external streamer such as a Bluesound Node 2i which has its own on-board DAC and a compact footprint? The app for the Node is BluOS - same as for the NAD. The Node's PSU can be upgraded and a separate DAC can be added with the Node operating purely as a streamer if such options should take your fancy.

If tone controls matter, the Node's app offers that option at least with analogue output - not sure if that is possible when connecting to a separate DAC.

Well, that's one suggestion. Other options are bound to follow...

SonicCzar likes this.
  3. telemike

Also was wondering if the Peachtree Nova 150 or Quad Vena II Play would be a step up from my Rotel?

4. telemike

Those new Technics ones look very nice too

5. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

The NAD M10 touch screen, you will never touch, because your will control it through your phone, just like a Bluesound Node 2i. If you just add a 2i to your current system you can hide it in the back because you will never touch it after you install it. The M10 to me is a $550 2i and a $900 amp(at most) for way more than 1400. The Rotel you have has way more connectivity than the M10, if I recall correctly. I've never compared the sound of the two.

Disclosure...I have a Node 2i and love it for streaming Tidal, but it will do so much more. I also have an older Rotel amp.

6. Agree on the RockAddict post above regarding the M10. Musically fine (for my budget) but plagued by firmware problems (screen blanks, sound stops) since introduction ( > 1,5 y ago). I'm on my second machine now (first one being replaced because of the problems), and this one also has the same issues (rules out hardware causes, mostly).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.