NAD M10 - virtual VU display question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by downtherabbithole, Sep 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downtherabbithole

downtherabbithole Active Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am LOVING my NAD M10 - what a great unit!

For reference, I'm currently running the following setup...

NAD M10 functioning as a front-end/pre-amplifier, feeding 2x PS Audio M700 Stellar Monoblocks, to a pair of Focal Aria 948's.
    Sources are:
    -Fluance RT-85 turnatable (with Ortofon 2MBlue) and Schiit Mani Phono Pre (both with aftermarket toroidal outboard power supplies)
    -Marantz UD5007 BluRay/DVD/CD/SACD
    -Streaming: Amazon HD and Spotify

So, my question is...

I absolutely love the displays virtual VU's, but I can't quite figure them out... When an analog source is selected (i.e., turntable) they automatically display and function beautifully. But when streaming (internally) they are not an option - the track info/artwork screens are displayed instead. But here's the odd part - when using Bluetooth/ApplePlay, the VU's are initially displayed and function (woohoo - awesome!) BUT (doh!) when anything is touched - be it the display, or anything on a 'remote' (via the app on smartphone/iPad) the VU's screen immediately switches to info/artwork/volume and the virtual VU's never return. Ugh!

So, the good news is, we know the VU's CAN work with streaming/Bluetooth/ApplePlay, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to KEEP them displayed, or how to switch back to them once they change?

Anybody figure this out?

aarodynamic likes this.
  2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Why not contact NAD.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

I have an M10 in my office system and that is they they work. NAD needs to give us an option to bring them back, but I would like to see them fix their Roon integration first.

4. aarodynamic

aarodynamic Well-Known Member

What issues are you having with Roon integration currently?

5. downtherabbithole

Thanks for the input so far, and thanks Projectman for confirming you're seeing the same behavior. I've played around with it endlessly, and no matter what, if I start a song from a streaming source - be it internal (spotify, qobuz, Amazon music...) or via AirPlay, the meters work beautifully ...right up until you touch ANYTHING. Adjust the volume, *poof* they're gone, back to album art/info screen, and meters never return.

It's really silly, especially since the meters are such a promoted feature, and clearly should be an easy software fix.

If you're listening NAD, how about a simple global option setting to be able to choose to have the meters ALWAYS return, regardless of source, after a specified delay - say, 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  6. downtherabbithole

A few weeks ago I emailed/messaged NAD support with a detailed description of the disappearing VU behavior, but have so far heard absolutely nothing back from them in response. Odd, these folks have historically been quite prompt in response to support questions - who knows.

In the meantime, has anyone happened to have discovered a setting or workaround yet to get the VU's to return while streaming?

I can't imagine this would be anything more than a very simple firmware/software fix/update, and can't think of any reason they'd be hesitant at all to implement.

7. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Did you buy from a brick & mortar dealer? If so maybe they can get you some answers from NAD or the distributor.

8. downtherabbithole

UPDATE!

Today, NAD released both an BluOS (system) and iOS (app) update!

Annnnnnd..... hallelujah! The fix is in!

Now not only do the VU's display and return BEAUTIFULLY across all inputs/sources, along with other updates and upgrades, there are also several new display options, including a pair of 'digital' meters and so far, all look to function perfectly!

WELL DONE NAD! :righton:

Bubbamike and jonwoody like this.
  9. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

Now if they would fix the Roon issues. Two years and still problems and uncertified by Roon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.