Nagaoka Cartridge fans?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Feb 15, 2022.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have read on many forums about how so many love Nagaoka cartridges. I finally pulled the trigger a few weeks back and purchased the JT-80BK. I am really happy. I posted a video on my new youtube channel with my thoughts after a few weeks using the JT-80.

In Groove Mike even said the entry level Nagaoka (mp150?) is an excellent sounding cartridge on a recent live stream

What have you compared Nagaoka to cartridge wise?

2. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Love my MP-110 on my Rega P3. I can only compare it to the Shure m97xe and a vintage AT cart I own, but it sounds better than both. It's a great MM for rock.

3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Dignan2000 likes this.
  4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

My first Nag was the 110 which I bought to replace an Ortofon 2M Blue. I hated it and put the Blue back on. At that point I was pretty sure I was not a Nagaoka fan. I bought a new deck and had a Hana EH installed. It was ok, but I was pretty lukewarm about it. On a whim, and after some reading, I took the plunge on a MP-200. I far prefer it to the Hana.

Alf_1988, Kundalini, McLover and 4 others like this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I really really like every Nagaoka I’ve ever heard, which is most of them. :)

I haven’t heard the MP-300 much though, and I’ve never heard an MP-100.

6. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I started with an MP-110 on my Rega RP-1, and loved the improvement over the stock cart. I bought an MP-200 stylus and put that on the MP-110 base; another significant improvement. Eventually I got an MP-200 cart, which I'm very happy with. The MP-200 definitely tracks better than the MP-110, and I'm hearing more detail. I've found the Nagaoka carts to be very musical with a nice, rich midrange, both things I look for in a cartridge.

7. Philo Beddoe

Philo Beddoe Mechanic at Joe’s Garage

I started with an MP-110 and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I had a chance to grab a slightly used MP-500 and jumped on it. I don’t know how to describe the exact difference, everything just sounds better, the difference is greatest on jazz and acoustic music, where the music feels much more live and in the room. My turntable has a removable headshell, so I kept the MP-110 for records that are not in pristine condition, so as to make the MP-500 stylus last longer. Overall I’ve been quite happy with Nagaoka and will keep these two cartridges and replace the stylii as necessary.

8. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Interesting, on my list as well.
    What bothers me its priced high here inside EU, on level with others which have more advanced stylus tip, not elliptically.
    Do you detect any tracking issues inner groove ?

Sixxy7 likes this.
  9. DaleClark

I have not or I have not noticed anything.

10. roger-wilco

roger-wilco All-Around-Groovin

Long time lurker here, I have a JT80 on my 1210GAE and I love it! I was in the market for a solid MM and this is close to the version Nagaoka included in the 1210GAEs that were sent to Europe.

DaleClark and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  11. Cyclone Ranger

Anyone here have an MP-300 long term? If so, what did you think of it? :confused:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was the head of Nagaoka’s favorite cart out of their entire line-up, even above the MP-500 (though everyone’s taste does differ).

Alf_1988 likes this.
  12. Cyclone Ranger

Wow… you liked the Naga Jeweltone Black better than the Ortofon 2M Black. Even though the Black has an advanced stylus shape (vs the Naga’s elliptical), and is $200 more expensive.

I believe you, but prepare for the torch-and-pitchfork mob… they won’t. :)

McLover likes this.
  13. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

The MP-150 and MP-200 are both lovely sounding carts.

I’d like to hear that tone with a bit more detail via the MP-500 or even having the MP-200 retipped with a finer diamond.

14. Tiddy

Tiddy Active Member

Recent convert to Nagaoka. I was running an AT-VM95SH on my Planar 3,and also flip flopping between that and the ML stylus. I loved the warmth and bass response of the SH and the sweet treble of the ML. Was really hoping that by going to the next level I could get the best of both worlds. So took the plunge and got the MP-200.

I've put about 20 hours or so on the Nag now,so enough to have an honest opinion. I have to say I love it. It does provide the best qualities of both the AT's,and I couldnt be happier. I was in no way disappointed with either of the AT's. I just wanted to try and wring as much performance out of my set up as I could.

From the majority of other Nag owners experiences, I was expecting the signature Nagaoka bass response,but the treble is also clear and detailed in a way I wasnt expecting.

All in all,money very well spent. And I do afford myself a wry smile when I see people writing that the stylus is "only" an elliptical and why pay a premium for a basic profile. Hearing is believing.
    Mike,

15. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

You can put a new MP-500 stylus on your MP-200 for around $280 from Japan on ebay, not sure you could get one professionally retipped with a line contact stylus for any less, but who knows, I haven't checked around.

McLover, punkmusick and woodpigeon like this.
  16. woodpigeon

I vaguely remember someone on the board saying they’d done it.

17. woodpigeon

I found the VM95ML had a much more refined top end than the MP-200. Could just be a question of system matching or setup.

18. Tiddy

Tiddy Active Member

It could be exactly that. I'm fairly sure my system is properly set up,but I just didnt get the ML to sing for me. Much preferred the SH but again,all down to personal preference. Plenty of love on here for the ML so must be just me :)

woodpigeon likes this.
  19. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

I use the mp-110 on a 1200mkii sometimes. It's not my favorite, but it's top of the list. Great cart.

BDC likes this.
  20. DaleClark

I am guessing the JT-80 is closer to the Bronze, however, I have not heard one in my system.

Sixxy7 likes this.
  21. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

Busted out the MP-110 after reading this thread. Hadn't listened to it in a while. So good. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  22. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

I have tried Nagaoka cartridges with mixed impressions.

The MP-110 was my first and was nice in some ways but I couldn't seem to get the balance right. I didn't really understand the love that this cartridge was getting on the forums and ended up giving it away.

I later decided to revisit Nagaoka with a lightly used MP-100. Unlike Nagaoka's reputation for mellow cartridges, this model is definitely not mellow, with a crisp and dynamic sound that is superficially impressive but can end up a bit forward and tiring.

Recently, I bought an MP-200 stylus at a bargain price to put on the MP-100 body. This sounds more like I would expect from what is said about Nagaoka cartridges. It is relatively mellow and refined on most records but there is a sharpness to the treble that makes some records sound harsh. However, this stylus is not on an MP-200 body, so not the full package, although I understand the sonic differences between the MP-100/110 and MP-150/200 bodies to be subtle.

I prefer my Goldring 2400, which is actually made by Nagaoka.

23. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I also jumped from MP-110 to MP-500 and love it.

Philo Beddoe likes this.
  24. DaleClark

After doing research, I was surprised to see that Nagaoka supplies cartridges, styluses, or some other part to pretty much every cartridge brand in existence. Maybe that is why Nagaoka does not advertise much, The company is more focused on being an OEM supplier.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  25. JamsOnly

JamsOnly Senior Member

My first Nagaoka was the MP-300 and have had it now for a good six months and it's well broken in. I bought it premounted to the Nag headshell (13.5 grams) and had to use the additional counterweight on my arm to balance at 1.55 stylus pressure. Absolutely no complaints and I could tell a huge difference in overall sound quality as it replaced a 2m Blue. I do plan on replacing the stylus with the MP500 at some point as the body will accept it. Definitely, a solid cartridge if you are considering a price point between the MP200 and MP500.