Nagaoka MP-200 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leonthepro, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

Usually the cart needs to twist slightly inwards to get a correct Baerwald alignment.

Much of break in is confused with "ear training" yes. But it depends on the type of gear, MC carts and speakers do need some break in while MMs and turntables dont really. As you get new gear, you naturally start to listen much closer to the music to spot any little difference, so you might notice things that were there before even if you didnt notice it, like sibilance.

To have mid range suckout and muddy sound is not what you would expect from the 200 however.

2. ChuckPa

ChuckPa New Member

Thank you for confirming the slight twist of the cart. I tweaked it again and managed to get better by extending the MP200 on that headshell a little bit more; and it still has a bit of twist. It's dead-on at the A point and "within a line width" at B. I will stop fussing with it.

I pulled the trigger on the Behringer, opting not to wait. . It should arrive Thursday. I will post samples of the two for feedback in a new thread. (MOD: Please feel free to move my posts as you wish).

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. ChuckPa

ChuckPa New Member

It finally arrived today. It went via slow boat from Texas (USPS).

This Behringer is nice little box. I'm going to have fun learning how to use it and get flac export into Audacity (linux)

As promised, here is the song (full song - as WAV), without any alteration or even cutting it.
    Both cartridges are included.

Time index 3:30 - 4:40 is where I hear the biggest differences
    Elton.zip

This is where I sense "washing out" the vocal compared to the piano highs and percussion.

Please let me know if there is an issue here or if it's really how the track should be?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts and education :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  4. ChuckPa

ChuckPa New Member

I'm returning the MP-200 for refund. I don't even care if defective or not (restocking fee). I'm done with the disaster.

Every indication is the cartridge body has a manufacturing flaw.
    MP-100 & MP-200 stylus on MP-100 body -- perfect.
    MP-100 & MP-200 stylus on MP-200 body -- washed out, nasal, high-strong.

I sent a sample of both to friend of friend who is a recording engineer and the answer was immediate -- defective or RIAA comp incompatible (which seems unlikely to me given the MP-100 is fine)

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.