Nagaoka MP-500 on a Rega RP-1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Greg Carrier, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

From what Ive heard the Blue mostly just has a brighter EQ compared to the 110. So a lower EQ would mean more bass, but so does cranking the Balance knob on your amplifier.
    I thought the Blue sounded closer to a natural EQ in the examples shown, but that of course varies between masterings.
    Question is if its worth almost double the price.

I do feel that Id like a bit more bright EQ on my system at times though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

To activate the tone control reduces sound quality unfortunately.

The 200 won't give you that extra treble against the 110?

3. Leonthepro

Yes Im aware, which is why I dont use it, although for some albums I wish I could.

Its not about just having more treble. Changing EQ works on level and affects the whole sound spectrum. I just feel that drums and voices sometimes would be more realistic if they sounded brighter. And sometimes not.
    From memory the 110 and 200 produce a similar EQ of sound.

Might try an AT or Ortofon at some point. They are generally brighter.

4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

200 is brighter than the 110 (I think someone in another Naga thread even posted the freq graphs showing this), but more importantly, it has considerably more resolution/‘real’ detail.

5. Leonthepro

Dont recall the 110 being less bright, but I never got to compare them side by side.

6. punkmusick

In my experience, never mind the Ortofon 2M series and get a AT VM540ML. It is relatively unexpensive and a great cartridge. It surprised me, I couldn’t believe how good it is.

bootbox and patient_ot like this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I skipped the 2M Series for a few reasons:

1) Not a good match for the tonearms of either turntable I currently have.

2) I hated the sound of the 2M Red.

3) Too many other carts I'm interested in.

If I had a tonearm that matched well with the 2M Series the only one I'd seriously consider would the Bronze. Even at European pricing, the Black is too expensive IMHO relative to what else is out there.

As it stands the only Ortofon I'd consider anytime soon is the MC-3 Turbo. I nearly bought one in fact, but ended up getting a Goldring 1042 instead.

punkmusick likes this.
  8. Leonthepro

Been thinking of that one before I got my MP-200 even. Once I get the ability to use interchangable headshells I will probably go and try it.

9. Leonthepro

The Turbo is much more bright and detailed than the 110 from what I heard in comparisons. Would like to try it too. Is it still sold by Ortofon?

10. punkmusick

It seems like everybody likes the MC-3 Turbo. Yes, it’s still for sale.

11. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

4011021 please do the comparison with your MP110 and new MP500 if you will have same time. If it is possible try just swat the stylus from MP500 into tje MP110 body. I wonder how it will sounds...

displayname likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

My guess is that it will sound like a weirdly imaged and balanced MP 500. Thats what a JNP 150 sounds like on a 110 body.

13. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I still play with idea to buy stylus JN-P150 for my MP-110 body but I cold not decide what to do? If sell my MP110 and buy new MP150 or buy just the sylus??? I believe the nude stylus of JN-p150 is better than MP110 but question is can I recognize that small difference in body change 110 and 150?

14. Leonthepro

Dont buy the 150 stylus and use the 110 body:

15. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Thanks ,Yes I seen it before. There is a difference sure. Anyone else has similar investigation ? :)

16. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Look at this

17. Leonthepro

So hes just comparing styli, not bodies. Obviously a custom paratrace would win. Mostly just hear a difference in the sibilance department though.

18. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I'm not listen this needle drop property yet. I found it over my phone. I have to carefully listen to.

19. punkmusick

I had just installed my brand new MP-500 and I'm playing my first record. I'm loving it right out of the box. That beautiful Nagaoka bass is here but this is the only thing that reminds me of the MP-110. It seems to be very different. I'll try it with different records, give it some more hours and I shall come back in a few days with a review. @octavius

Cyclone Ranger and displayname like this.
  20. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Congratulation and enjoy your new toy MP-500 :)

punkmusick likes this.
  21. punkmusick

By the way I'm not sure about putting the MP-500 stylus in the 110 cartridge. The 500 is locked in the cartridge with a screw unlike the 110. I won't try it so you'll have to look for this answer elsewhere.

displayname likes this.
  22. punkmusick

MP-500 is a winner. No IGD or sibilance, a punchy and energetic presentation with that outstanding well known Nagaoka bass, fun and forward midrange, delicate, detailed and robust at the same time, much more engaging, impactful, lively, exciting, powerful and colored than the VM540ML.

However, be aware that it does not accentuate the higher frequencies, so if you like a brighter sound, you think a clean and detailed presentation means brightness, it may not be the cartridge for you, at least IME. It seems to be flat, in the sense that brighter records sound bright and warmer records sound warm. A muddy recording will not be corrected with artifical treble, and a brighter record will not be warmed like a MP-110 does, perhaps a little less fatiguing. If that is good or bad will depend on personal tastes.

Heckto35, Cyclone Ranger and Paul H like this.
  23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

For what it's worth, I put an MP500 on a modest table (a Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Carbon UKX) and I love it. Might I suggest that the OP looks for second-hand? It's a gamble, I know, but I got a barely-used cart for half the price of a new one and, with that sort of deal, it seemed to be a no-brainer to me. And the important thing? I absolutely love it.

punkmusick likes this.
  24. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

OP has vanished yet we post on, LOL... :laugh:

Leonthepro likes this.
  25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Well, it's more fun than listening to records, isn't it? :nyah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.