Nak OMS7--fix it or ditch it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -=Rudy=-, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

I have a Nakamichi OMS7 CD player I've had since the mid 80's. It quit working, and I'd sent it in to Nak for a new laser. It was replaced, but still never played right...then through a bunch of circumstances (moved around, got busy, etc.), I never had a chance to send it back in to be looked at.

Met a tech in the 90's who told me that what the player probably needed was just a good going-over with an electronic alignment inside the player. This player really sounded nice and looked cool, so I've held onto it for all these years. I'm just debating if I should find a good tech to work it over (vs. sending it back to Nak), or just dump it on eBay as-is.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's a good CD player, but IMHO, I would dump it on eBay as-is.

3. -=Rudy=-

If I decide to ditch it, I will post a note in the classified forum here not to buy it. :D

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Well.......what if one could fix it? :D

5. -=Rudy=-

I just have a thing about selling my stuff (especially broken) to anyone I know. :D

I actually feel a little bad about a sale I made back around 1994. At Compuserve, one of our Consumer Electronics forums had a classified section. I listed a Technics DAT deck. I bought it as a demo, and it tracked terribly. I really liked the way the controls worked, but it would never play without breaking up. I mailed it back to Matsushita, who put in a new tape head and got it back up and running. But since I wanted $$ to buy a house, I listed it for sale. I ended up selling it to E. Brad Meyer (who used to write for Audio, and is part of the B.A.S.). I asked how my "offspring" was, and he mentioned some problems with it. :( But he was the perfect gentleman as always. :) I believe he mentioned that it was consumer gear and it really didn't surprise him that it happened...but still, I feel bad that it happened.

I want to get rid of a Sony TC-580 reel deck that needs a lot of adjustments and a couple of minor repairs. It WILL go "as-is". I do have a service manual for it, but will sell that separately...or just sell copies of it like others do. I may also sell my Teac 3300 (which works flawlessly), and move up to a Tascam that is a little more modern.

6. audio

audio New Member

Ditch it. Trust me, it's worth it to avoid the headache and $$ it will cost you to mess with it. Cd player issues are horrid to resolve. I agree that selling it on ebay as-is is your best option.

7. -=Rudy=-

I would spend maybe $150-$200 to get this thing fixed, but not more...it originally sold for $1500, and I still haven't owned a player that has sounded this good since then. I doubt I could get anything this smooth w/o spending several hundred. Which is why I'm weighing getting it tuned up somewhere, vs. ditching it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.