Name an actors best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Deadwood ( 2019) was a film.

2. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Fenderesq, I didn't mean to imply that you were focusing only on the great actors in well-known parts. In one particular post, you indicated difficulty naming the best film/performance of some Hollywood legend. I agree it's tough to choose the best work of Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson, Katherine Hepburn, Bogie, etc. I was just trying to ease your pain(!), by suggesting another avenue of inquiry.

I find it delightful when I come across a surprisingly strong performance by some actor I don't care for, or don't respect too much. See post #105 in this thread, where I listed a few such examples which struck me. They're not obscure actors, just ones I don't really care for! (Probably shouldn't have included Jennifer Lawrence on the list. I like her as an actor, but not so sure about her off-screen personality. But I wanted to plug Winter's Bone, which put her on the map, but may be lost in the past as she became an A-List star.)

3. Honey Bunches of Sadness

I'm with you on these two.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  4. Honey Bunches of Sadness

I've got a hunch that High Fidelity is quite popular on a forum like this which draws a lot of music obsessives.....

5. Honey Bunches of Sadness

I actually haven't seen that film. But in response, I just wanted to plug A History of Violence. (It might also be Maria Bello's best performance.)

'05Train and alexpop like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Bill Murray - Caddyshack

Kurt Russell - The Hateful Eight

7. Honey Bunches of Sadness

That's actually a good idea for a thread. Either worst role, or worst performance for the actor of your choice.....

8. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Fair enough. I've seen the entire series, but haven't caught the follow-up film yet.

9. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Bruce Willis - The Sixth Sense
    Richard Gere - Primal Fear
    Mark Ruffalo - You Can Count on Me
    Kevin Costner - Field of Dreams

10. alexpop

Disappointing.

11. alexpop

He was brilliant in A History Of Violence, Even better in Eastern Promises. But “Green Book “he should have got a Oscar.

12. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Sigourney Weaver - Aliens
    Cher - Moonstruck
    Winona Ryder - Heathers
    Jennifer Grey - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air
    Sissy Spacek - Coal Miner's Daughter

13. Honey Bunches of Sadness

I guess I'll have to catch Green Book. Yeah, I really liked Eastern Promises as well.

14. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

Johnny Depp - Whats eating Gilbert Grape
    Leonardo di Caprio - Basketball Diaries
    Bill Murray - Broken Flowers
    Ewan Mcgregor - Trainspotting

alexpop likes this.
  15. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I didn't like it at all.

16. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Absolutely, 100%. That's nearly a lost film, and Beatty is fantastic in it.

Mechanical Man and rockerreds like this.
  17. alexpop

Ewan? T2 he looked ancient.

Liked him in Young Adam.

Cranny likes this.
  18. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

He is also great in Bulworth.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Exceptional in that.

20. alexpop

Yeah .. overrated imo, sadly.

21. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

You're telling me, bud! I recently went searching for a copy on Blu Ray, and apparently none exist. There's just some off-brand Japanese DVDs of dubious sourcing available as far as I can find.

Alan J. Pakula's one of the most underrated directors of his era. Three stone cold classics in Klute, Parallax and President's, but you never hear about him these days.

Criterion needs to get on the ball and give us a Parallax Blu Ray. At least Amazon Prime has the film available for streaming, even for free on occasion.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    '05Train likes this.
  22. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I'm going to have to check out CBtt5&DJDJD soon. Huge Karen Black fan here, and I need to see more of her films. I recently sprung for the Criterion America: Lost and Found set of BBS productions and wound up re-watching Five Easy Pieces last night, and she was great in that of course. I never realized anyone had problems with her looks; I actually find her to be quite attractive. :shrug:

Would definitely recommend Can She Bake a Cherry Pie? to anyone who enjoys quirky slice-of-life romantic comedies. Of course Jaglom borrows liberally from Annie Hall-- right down to the vanity lounge singing-- but Black and Michael Emil are both unforgettable, and there's great cameos from Orson Wells (sort of) and an almost unrecognizable Larry David. I watched it with my girlfriend and we both enjoyed the hell out of it.

stepeanut likes this.
  23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Yeah, I like her, too. Not saying that’s how I feel, just telling it like it is. She got a lot of comments back in the day about her slightly crossed eyes, and, as a result, she was often cast in dim-witted roles. She had a long career, though, and played some great parts, so we shouldn’t feel too badly for her.

The Welles footage comes from Henry Jaglom’s earlier film A Safe Place. The two directors were great friends. Welles’s last ever live action film appearance was in Jaglom’s Someone to Love. I have that one on DVD, but haven’t seen it in years; I should dig it out again.

But yeah, Cherry Pie owes an obvious debt to Woody Allen. IIRC, there’s a Woody film that gets a namecheck via a theatre marquee sign. A Midsummer Night’s Sex Comedy, maybe?

The film also reminds me of the kind of thing Eric Rohmer did all the time: people sitting around, talking very naturally about their relationships and inner anxieties, not much forward momentum in terms of plot. I love Rohmer for that style, which is more difficult to pull off than it seems, but it drives a lot of people crazy.

24. alexpop

Only one ?
    Either Ironweed or Five Easy Pieces.

25. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Jimmy B., '05Train and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.