Name A TV Show That You Just Cannot Get Into In Any Way Whatsoever

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I don't know when this fetish began. It first became obvious with NYPD Blue in the early 90s but probably started sooner. I understand the rationale - static over-the-shoulder two-shots become boring, so moving the camera around looks edgy and cool, but it also gets annoying after awhile.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  2. Fastnbulbous

Believe me friend, I was the exact same way. But once I overcame the annoyance I was hooked. It's really, really funny. Might I suggest captions?

3. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Captions with the sound turned off might make it bearable, but I'm guessing I still wouldn't like it much.

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Just curious..how many episodes have you watched?

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  5. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes the show went on too long like most do unfortunately. Probably could of ended at least four years earlier.
    But the first 3 funny seasons and next few seasons had very good acting, often serious great writing.
    Most sitcoms in my opinion don't stand up well past decade they were in. Very of their time with latest catch phrases, jokes, and fashions and the backgrounds can date them.
    I think it was always an awful show but I noticed passing by Three's Company how 70's (not in a good way) the set looked, their clothes.

6. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I don't know what's wrong with it, as I want to watch enjoy it and so many seasons are available on YouTube, I just don't think there's enough right with it (for me).

7. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

agreed - I felt it was purely exploitative of the viewer and created like that to hook you in such a cheap way. That kind of getting trying to get its hooks into you seems to be pretty standard now.

j_rocker and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Any show that claims to tell you what's going on...but Management supplies the anchors with instructions on how to color the information, with no opposing perspectives considered.

I believe the documents are referred to in the industry as, "talking points". It's disingenuous, and it's a blight on critical thinking. Seek another source.

Rufus McDufus and bmasters9 like this.
  9. Fastnbulbous

You're talking about literally every news show on television today.

Rufus McDufus and bmasters9 like this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

That is true-- they all do it, depending on whatever political persuasion one is.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

No I'm not...there is a difference between journalism ("we tell you what we found"), and persuasion ("we give you no other perspective...then 'let you decide'").
    I only see a limited number of providers always pushing the "they all do it" line. And I'm not going to entertain arguments.

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

The Masked Singer

This is the level of the inferno that Dante left out because it was just too horrible.

13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I checked out one episode that a favorite actress was in...only to see her character beaten to death at the order of a psychopathic child. No, thank you very much.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

On the other hand Heronymous Bosch was not afraid to "go there."

[​IMG]

15. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

The origin is, likely, Hill Street Blues during the roll call.

The intent was to bring the viewer into the show immediately in a "realistic" manner.

16. Fastnbulbous

I hardly ever saw Hill St. Blues (I worked 3-midnight during that period) but I see Stephen Bochco produced both it and NYPD Blue so maybe he launched the "shakycam" trend.

cloggedmind likes this.
  17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

The Office
    Dexter
    Parks and Rec
    30 Rock
    West Wing
    Shameless

18. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Note the name of the show: Gilmore Girls.

Having said that, I only lasted a few episodes, but for the opposite reason! I was completely bored by anything involving the daughter Rory. (And I thought Alexis Bledel's acting was pretty bad. Although I heard she improved considerably as the show continued.) OTOH, I found Lorelai (and especially her parents) to be hilarious! Lauren Graham in the Lorelai role was a critics' darling for a number of years. Alas, it was not enough to sustain my interest.

bmasters9 likes this.
  19. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Ha! Good line here!

I'm a huge Seinfeld fan, but you only need to see a few episodes to figure out whether or not its for you.

On the other hand, The Simpsons changes quite a bit over time, and a random sampling of episodes could be quite misleading. IMHO, seasons 2-5 are a near-brilliant satire on American society of its timeframe. If you're willing to dip your toe in the water one more time, try out any of these from Season 2:
    Ep 1: Bart Gets an F
    Ep 4: Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish
    Ep 8: Bart the Daredevil
    Ep 9: Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
    Ep 12: The Way We Was
    Ep 13: Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment
    Ep 15: Oh Brother, Where Art Thou

It's a Murderer's Row of great episodes!

Around seasons 6 and 7, the series gradually became zanier and more surreal. And to me, a lot spottier in quality. (Although there are good zingers in almost any episode.) Any show running for close to 30 years is going to be on fumes at some point. If you saw any more recent episodes, those wouldn't be fair representations of the best of the series. Anyways, check it out!

20. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Japanese variety shows.

There are about four TV channels in Japan that everybody watches (cable TV and on-demand viewing has virtually no existence here), and most of them have popular variety shows that dominate the post TV-news evenings, before and between dramas. My God, they are awful.

What happens is, there are a few hosts (hyperactive shouters; usually former comedians) and a panel of guests who sit, literally, like they're on a panel. The guests are generally B-level celebrities whose careers have already peaked; hence, they're now appearing on variety shows for money. Now, some of the travel items and special reports about scientific or academic topics are actually really well done, but those are created outside of the variety shows themselves.

Japanese people, for reasons I can't fathom, have a sort of cultural obsession with watching people eat (like, close-ups of the face) as entertainment. So, the variety shows send the B-level celebrities out to restaurants and focus on their faces as they eat. But, by far the recurring part I hate the most is when they send out the B-list celebrities to a restaurant, and they have a sort-of "The Price Is Right" game-show thing: After the meal, the celebrities have to guess how much money the meal cost, and the one who is the most 'wrong' gets the bill and has to pay. Or so they try to make us believe. The drama the actors go through (this goes on for, like, an hour) to convince us they're desperate not to get stuck with the bill is torturous viewing.

21. Honey Bunches of Sadness

I don't know if Seinfeld was making fun of Mad About You specifically. It's just the kind of "couples" show that his fiancée Susan would like, and thus George would be forced to watch. It was just a specific element of the whole can't-live-with-her/can't-live-without-her dance which George went through.

ETA: weren't both shows on the same network? Probably had to be in order to name-drop M.A.Y., and to use it's theme music. Thus, they couldn't have been mocking it too hard.

22. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I'll agree on these 2. I thought with such an outstanding cast, who I really enjoy most of them (some IDK), Westworld would definitely hook me & keep me interested. Big disappointment; however, I discovered a show w/a somewhat similar premise w/out being quite so sinister - it was more about psychological impact humans/A.I., which I'd missed when it aired on AMC & enjoyed very much: Humans.
    The Spanish Princess, I just tuned in last week...I forget which episode; it wasn't the 1st. I thought, oh, I sometimes enjoy period pieces. I entered @ scene precipitating start of a joust. Within just about 2 minutes, once joust had begun, rider had crashed- eye & half of face were impaled/ripped off. I was not expecting so much blood & gore :yikes::thumbsdow

23. Free_Hat

Free_Hat Forum Resident

OK, I like this suggestion, something for the AI adbots to grind on.

No:

Lost
    Mad Men
    Fargo
    Star Trek Discovery
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    American Gods
    Westworld
    Walking Dead after Season 2

Yes: