Name an overlooked obscure 90's record!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Apr 15, 2014.

1. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Also that album's predecessors, Home Again ('88) and Happy Accidents ('90).

entropyfan and littleugly like this.
  2. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Chumbawamba's "Swingin' With Raymond." Even serious fans of the band just shove this one aside, primarily because of the 'love songs' half.

I actually prefer that half (plus all the tracks they cut, like the fantastic 'Last Taxi Ride') to the 'hate songs' half that more fans enjoy.

3. mace

mace Forum Resident

Bloodline - ST. A supergroup of sorts, only they were sons of the supers.

Skydog7 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  4. ElwoodPDowd

ElwoodPDowd Well-Known Member

The God Machine - One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying. Anyone with an interest in 90s alt rock should give this one a listen!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  5. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Nice to see Lustre mentioned here. I have a promo of the LP on blue vinyl.

6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

As do I, along with a couple of promo CD singles with non album tracks.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Still one of my favorite rock albums from the 90's
    Treble Charger-Maybe It's Me 1997

8. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

For anyone interested, here's a great little podcast I listen to that discusses many an album mentioned here, and others like them.

http://www.digmeoutpodcast.com/?m=1

I don't always agree with the hosts, but at least it's nice to hear folks talking about these albums again.

phillyal1 and Cracklebarrel like this.
  9. hidden1one

hidden1one Forum Resident

Life Sex and Death: The Silent Majority

Rocketdog likes this.
  10. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Otis - s/t

ramdom and Rocketdog like this.
  11. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

12. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorites is "Subliminal Plastic Motives" by Self. Self often gets compared negatively with Beck and Weezer, but there's something in this record that I find consistently fresh and creative. I keep going back to some of the Self material where Beck's 90s stuff has worn out a bit for me. Then again, I tend to like bands like Jellyfish, XTC and They Might Be Giants which all can be called "too clever by half" at times.

The album has been reissued in an anniversary edition by Fat Possum Records, taken from Bob Ludwig's first mastering - beloved by the artist, but not by the record company. The album was sent back an additional 9 times before the record company released it.

C. Cushman and Rocketdog like this.
  13. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Here are some more choices. Some obscure, some not as much, but all great albums.

Dada - Puzzle (1992, IRS Records) The band put out four more follow up albums (and an EP) and continues to tour and do side projects to this day, but their debut is still their high water mark.

Titanic Love Affair - s/t (1993, Charisma) Long before he was in Wilco, the late Jay Bennett was originally in this outfit. This was their debut album, although I think they only put out one other (ironically titled "No Charisma") after being dropped by the label. Kind of in the same mold as Soul Asylum and The Replacements. That latter band's Chris Mars also provided the album's back cover artwork.

The Greenberry Woods - Big Money Item (1995, Sire/Reprise) This is the band's sophomore outing (they also released their debut Rapple Dapple the previous year), but is also their superior work. Power Poppers extraordinaire, who like Jellyfish, proudly wear their influences on their sleeves. This album is a minor masterpiece.

Dillon Fence - Outside In - (1993, Mammoth) From the Chappel Hill area of North Carolina. This was the band's next to last album, and last for indie Mammoth. While their early releases were more straight up jangle pop, this one explores some more distorted sounds to quite nice effects.

Big Car - Normal (1992, Giant/Reprise) South Western power pop outfit from pre Fastball members Miles Zuniga (vocals & guitar) and Joey Shuffield (drums). You can hear the origins of Fastball, but with more acoutsic guitars, and no Tony Scazlo vocals.

Wanderlust - Prize (1995, RCA) - Debut disc from a band who I believe were out of the Philly area. They had a minor radio hit with the song "I Walked" from this album. Great harmonies, with a bit of power pop and retro rock feel.

The Candy Skins - Space I'm In (1990, DGC/Geffen) - Early Brit Pop with an edge. "Submarine Song" was the single off this, their debut, but they manged to put a few more albums out over the years before calling it quits.

Star Club - s/t (1993, Island Records) Another early Brit pop styled band who arrived too soon on the scene. This was their only album, but what a great one. "Hard to Get" was the debut single. The band also appeared on Robert Plant's album from the same year, Fate Of Nations, providing background vocals on the song "I Believe".

The Sand Rubies - s/t (1993, Atlas Records) This Arizona band originally started out as The Sidewinders, releasing two albums on RCA records in 1988 (Witchdoctor) and 1990 (Auntie Ramos Pool Hall), before having to change their name due to legal wranglings. Great South Western desert rock, with a Neil Young & Crazy Horse type vibe, amongst other styling.

E - A Man Called E (1992, Polydor) Long before he started up The Eels, Mark Oliver Everett was simply known as E, releasing two albums under that moniker. This was the first, and IMHO, the better of the two.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    phillyal1, Rodz42, lightbulb and 11 others like this.
  14. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

not to mention Jason Falkner's two solo masterpieces from the 90's - Present Author Unknown and Can You Still Feel?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Defrance, tcnmusic, Bob J and 8 others like this.
  15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

And even more...

Sloan - You could go with any of this Canadian band's first three albums for a 90's pick. While Twice Removed (their second) might seem the odds on pick, my choice, however, would be their third, One Chord To Another (from 1996). Personally, I just like the songs better, and more of them.

The Odds - Another Canadian band with power pop leanings. Again, you could pick almost any album by these guys. They did two for Zoo/BMG in the earlier part of the decade, but I prefer the later ones they in the 90's on Elektra. I feel 1996's Nest, is their best (the single "Someone Who's Cool" was later used as the theme song to the short lived CBS series Love Monkey) but '95s Good Weird Feeling is decent, too.

Matthew Good Band - Underdogs (Dark Town/A&M 1997) Canadian Alt-rock band, that while very successful in their native country, were relatively unknown here in the States. This is their sophomore release, that very much does not suffer from the sometimes slump. I was introduced to the band via the song "Indestructible" from this album. They would put out two more releases before Good went solo in 2002.

Gouds Thumb - s/t (Critique/BMG 1996) - Local band from Portland, Maine, and their only album. Produced by Fred Maher, the album also has a few noteworthy guests in Matthew Sweet (backing vocals on the single "29"), and Alain Johannes (guitar solos on the songs "Beautiful Local" and "Jesus Arms"). Guitarist Walt Craven would later form the band 6Gig, who also got some minor airplay around the country with the song "Hit The Ground" a few years after this album was released.

Something Happens - Stuck Together With Gods Glue (Charisma Records 1990) - Scottish power-poppers, who were their country's answer to The Hoodoo Gurus. This album was produced by Ed Satsium, and featured the single "Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello (Petrol)".

Riverside - One - (Sire/Warner/Kinetic 1992) - Pennsylvania band, that to my knowledge, only released this one album. Jangly, dream pop, along the lines of The Ocean Blue (and again, pick any album by them as well), whose Steve Lau, also produced this record. The opening track "Waterfall", is pure bliss.

Uncle Green - Book Of Bad Thoughts - (Atlantic 1992) - New Jersey band originally, who relocted to Atalanta before gaining a following. The band befriended a young up and coming producer/musician named Brendan O'Brien, who put out their first two albums via his own BD records. This was their third, and major label debut, whih O'Brein also produced. Alt rockers, with a quirky edge, and smart lyrics. Many great tracks in "A Good Man", "I Know All About You" and "I Always Knew You'd Come To Me". Saw them live a few times. Two years later, after feeling they had tried and gotten only limited success, they changed their name to 3 lb. Thrill, released an album on Epic/57 records, and still, sadly, went nowhere.

The Shelia Divine - New Parade (Roadrunner 1999) - Boston based band with a Pixies-esque loud/soft musical dynamic. "Hum" was the single from his debut album, but the song "Opportune Moment" also got some airplay on alternative and college radio.

Gigolo Aunts - Flippin' Out (Fire Records 1993, RCA 1994) - Boston by way of New York power poppers, but more leaning to the power side. The band released sveral indi albums and EPs, but this was their major label debut. The single was "Where I Find My Heaven" but the album also feared their earlier indie single "Bloom". The album cover features actress Chloe Sevigny.

Orbit - Libido Speedway (A&M 1997) - Debut album from another power trio from Boston. Think along the lines of Lustre, but leaning more towards power pop. "Medicine (Baby Come Back)" was the single.

Possum Dixon - s/t (Interscope 1993) - Fronted by singer/songwriter/bassist Rob Zabrecky, this band has new-wave and indie rock leanings. Think Beck (who is a friend of the band) meets Weezer. This was their first album after a series of EP releases. Single was "Watch The Girl Destroy Me", which would unfortunately prove somewhat prophetic some years later, when Zabrecky's wife would commit suicide due to depression. This would turn his (and the band's) recreational heroin use into full blown addiction for a time. The band would alter re-group, now clean and sober, to put out one last album in 1998.

The Meices - Dirty Bird (London/Polygram 1996) - San Francisco Power pop trio. The band had a cover of "Ready Steady Go" on the Empire Records soundtrack before releasing this album. After the band failed to make a dent on the charts, Singer/guitarist Joe Reineke would go on to form Alien Crime Syndicate.

The Caulfields - Whirlygig (A&M 1995) - Delaware alt-rock band who also play in the power pop arena. This is their debut disc, and the better of the two they released. They had singles with "Devil's Diary" (which could be a heavier Jellyfish, and featured clever lyrics from Satan's viewpoint in his jealousy of Jesus), and "Hanna, I Locked You Out", which both got limited radio and MTV airplay. Bit of a Smithereens sound to some of this, too.

Muzzle - Betty Pickup (Kinetic/Reprise 1996) - debut disc form the Seattle based, melodic Alt-rock band. "What A Bore" was the single, and got airplay.

...I suppose that will be enough for today.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    phillyal1, siveld, ARK and 14 others like this.
  16. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Yeah I kind of agree......They wern't overlooked within the alternative Rock scene but kind of unknown to outsiders!!! Im still sure there would be a large number of metal/hardcore fans that are unaware of Helmet. I might be wrong?

17. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Don't know if it's obscure.
    Charlie Sexton Sextet - Under The Wishing Tree

Rocketdog likes this.
  18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

-Deconstruction-One off collaboration between Janes Addictions Eric Avery and Dave Navarro. Heavy trippy music with sounds effects and Avery's deep monotone goth voice providing the "vocals' (or more like spoken word at times)

Kool Thing and Led9 like this.
  19. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

John Davis - Blue Mountain. Certainly qualifies an an obscure album from the 90's, and if you can get with his quirky style, a great one too.

[​IMG]

20. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Need to big up some 'sisters' here -

[​IMG]
    Kirsty MacColl - Titanic Days (1993)

The single "Can't Stop Killing You" got some play on college radio Stateside but there are so many gems on this, "Angel" in particular being pure bliss. I could go on and on about this album - RIP, Kirsty.

[​IMG]
    Catatonia - International Velvet (1998)

Yes it was huge in the UK but barely a peep from it heard in the US (didn't realize until now it was released on Neil Young's Vapor Records over here). Catchy hooks and brilliant sardonic lyrics - oh and Cerys Matthews? One of the best "frontmen" *ever* - smart, sexy, ballsy... and defiantly Welsh. :) One of the best albums of the 90s, period!

[​IMG]
    Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman - Girl Bros. (1998)

Their first three post-Revolution albums amply displayed W&L's ease with generating pop hooks and funky grooves - if anyone had questions about exactly what/how much they brought to the Purple One's table during the '80s, they were well answered, despite it not being rewarded with record sales. This album was the departure - their first self-released project that takes a decidedly lo-fi approach. It's an intimate album - both sonically and in terms of subject matter - but far from "soft".... the grooves and Wendy's grinding electric guitars are still there but countered by some exquisite acoustic arrangements and vocals that practically give off light at times. An oversimplication here (because there's so much more to it) but if you know and like the track "Sometimes It Snows In April" off Prince and the Revolution's Parade LP, this should definitely be up your alley.

21. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

Imperial Teen had two great 90s records that could be called overlooked today. They were fronted by Roddy Bottum who was in Faith No More but the genre is totally different.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Terrific rock group! "One Chord to Another" is my favorite, too. I think they continue to be a terrific rock band; the one they put out in 2011, "The Double Cross", is outstanding. I think there's an irony that their pop sensibilities, which were contrary to the heavy, fuzzy rock of the post-grunge '90s, have probably helped them fit in better with the lighter, livelier indie-rock in the present.

phillyal1, Rodz42, sublemon and 3 others like this.
  23. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

World of Twist - Quality Street

youngchoulin, rediffusion and erasmus like this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The Katydids - Shangri-La.

25. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

A few more that come to mind....

The Sand Rubies "Auntie Ramos' Pool Hall"

Grant Lee Buffalo "Jubilee"

Flesh For Lulu "Plastic Fantastic"

Belly "Star" ( I must have listened to "Feed The Tree" nonstop for months:agree:)

poidog, ConnieGuitar and Rocketdog like this.