Nancy Sinatra Reissue Campaign via Light In The Attic [Coming 2021]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FJFP, Oct 8, 2020.

1. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I was about to try the impossible and hunt out an LP of this. There are 2 copies of the hardback CD book at my local store right now. With a solid recommendation like this on the CD, 1 of those in the store will be mine by the end of today!

Galley, dlemaudit and RSteven like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Consider yourself a very lucky person. The CD sounds fantastic and the hardback book is gorgeous.

3. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

Getting anxious for an announcement about the next release in the series. Hopefully, they'll do the stereo/mono for Boots and really looking forward to the Nancy & Lee reissues. Hopefully, we'll get some nice extras and they keep using the hardback book format.

4. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

If they pull out the same sound quality as on Start Walkin on tracks such as " I move around " or "The city never sleeps at night " , it 's going to be glorious

FJFP, RSteven, Joe Shlabotnik and 2 others like this.
  5. BlackCircleVinyl

Just finished listening to the CD from the hardback book edition. The sound quality and song selections were completely above all my expectations. The book and those gorgeous photos of Nancy... I have a new mid-60’s crush! :love:

FJFP, Galley and RSteven like this.
  6. amershamman

amershamman Forum Resident

Just managed to bag a basic CD version from these people in deepest Somerset, if anyone is interested:
    Home

RSteven likes this.
  7. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I pre-ordered what I THOUGHT was the 'step up' (CD and a booklet of some sort) for a price in the low $20s on Feb. 1 there (Amazon); sometime after that the price and the description 'dropped' so I'm not longer sure WHAT will be shipped if they ever do ship anything; it's now June 8, and multiple blown "release dates" later, nothing has shipped, with no representation at all why it has not or what the problem might be; contacted LITA, they say it's released and has been out for months; at Amazon, it's either cancel the order or 'tell the 'bot everything is OK' when it comes to trying to get any further info about they're not shipping anything.
    Has any one else who's ordered from Amazon actually had their order filled?

8. ILovethebassclarinet

I find in reading this that "I'm not alone in being in that situation."

I thought it odd that months after ordering the CD on February 1 (which still has not on today, June 8, 2021 arrived), an mp3 showed up in my in-box (I almost never play them, from Amazon or anywhere). On this rare occasion, given that the CD was a no-show, I did play a couple tracks - once each...

That's a pretty disgusting business practice.
    Thanks for the tip-off.

lou a likes this.
  9. ILovethebassclarinet

I'm about at the point where I'm wondering if it's a hoax and 'insider joke.'...
    'These idiots think that they're BUYING one, ha-ha-ha-ha...'

lou a likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. Unusual in my experience and I buy almost all my new music there.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Wishing Nancy a belated 81st birthday — a day late!

FJFP, ILovethebassclarinet and Jrr like this.
  12. ILovethebassclarinet

I buy plenty too; that's why I know that it's so unusual & got me wondering if it was a wider thing...

13. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Grabbed this wonderful double LP from my local store.

Played Summer Wine vs a tan reprise Canadian pressing. My vintage, AAA pressing has a compressed, EQ'd sound, to the point of annoying my ears after half a minute. Like many vintage pressings, it seems the mastering/cutting was geared to making old HiFi systems sound good.

This reissue has a nice open, natural sound. Very clear. Some will prefer a little EQ. I'm fine with the somewhat dry at times, sound. These are not audiophile recordings, and don't have that live, immediate sound that the best tube 60's recordings have.

The Wrecking Crew is tight as always! Nothing sounds digital, though it's very likely high Rez from the original tapes.

Just wish the early songs were mono!!

bluemooze, FJFP and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree. I have a lot of pressings of her material. This is the very rare exception that I think I’m fine with a modern reissue. Hard to say if it’s digitally sourced, which is high praise, but I bet Nancy owns her masters so it’s very possible they used the tapes. I was just playing it today and enjoying it’s great sound.

15. BlackCircleVinyl

That’s the only “gripe” I have about this set too but in terms of priorities it’s pretty low when the material and presentation are as good as this.

Jrr and tubesandvinyl like this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Received in today’s email:

“Amazon Item Canceled

Hello, Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item from your order. We've canceled the item and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days. If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers. Please visit the detail page for this item below.

Start Walkin' 1965-1976
    Sold by Amazon.com Services LLC”​

That was the Deluxe Book+CD edition, which had been advertised since last October (with a pre-order price drop to $13 and change in February). After months of broken release date promises, I don’t believe Amazon ever delivered a single copy.

lou a, RSteven, sharedon and 2 others like this.
  17. ILovethebassclarinet

I've seen nothing to indicate that they have; I ordered on Feb. 1, and to date, there's been nothing but blown release dates and the removal of all means to contact them about anything other than a useless 'bot that offers a 'choice' of cancelling the order or 'still waiting pointlessly.'
    I probably order, on average, a couple of items a week from them, and have never had an experience like this. Someone else here also noted that they're apparently charging folks who've played the unordered MP3s because the CD they ordered was a no-show.

'$22.94 or $149.00, shipping date unknown.'
    https://smile.amazon.com/Start-Walk...s=nancy+sinatra&qid=1623408504&s=music&sr=1-1

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    RSteven and Bob F like this.
  18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

How wonderful. Guess I will have to contact them later. I received a cancellation email for the item I did order and a separate email indicating I ordered the mp3s yesterday. No, Amazon, I never ordered the mp3 files. I only downloaded them months ago as part of the autorip included with the purchase of a physical copy. This has to be the most customer unfriendly experience I've had yet with Amazon.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That is the link for the standard Digipak CD edition, which is not the same as the Deluxe Book+CD edition which was just unilaterally canceled by Amazon. Adding to the Amazon complaints is the fact that they never identified which was which. These are the ASIN codes and links to US Amazon:

B08LNKYGZS (Deluxe): Link
    B08WP99LS9 (Digipak): Link

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  20. ILovethebassclarinet

Do you have a non-phone link to their customer service? I used to, until recently; now a 'bot seems to be the only option I can get to come up, and as I've already noted in this thread, it's utterly useless and has no info on why they're not shipping people's orders.
    It's the first experience with them that I'd call "unfriendly" actually, and "unfriendly" is a misnomer, as I've only dealt with machines to date on this issue, as best I know.

The price quote of $149 I made above was based on the link someone else posted.
    When I ordered, I believed that I was ordering the CD with book, (and had the same experience of watching the price drop and wondering if "a switch" was being made) but as I've had none of the versions in my hands to date, my grasp of the differences is nebulous.
    I've a MUCH bigger problem with 'the lack of info and transparency' than I do with it being delayed; give me a straight and honest answer as to why, and when, and a delay is a non-issue with me.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is as I predicted in a previous post above. For this reason, I purposely avoid downloading AutoRip MP3’s until after the physical product is delivered (if ever).

Agree completely about this Amazon customer experience. Caveat emptor.

RSteven and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  22. ILovethebassclarinet

Rarely use them, but before this, as I've never had any problem in receiving what I'd actually ordered, a CD, and, as a Prime member, quickly too, I never worried about it.

23. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

If you go under Contact Us and then click "Need More Help" you can start a chat.

I have been in chat for over a half hour. First customer service person got all of the information and then said they needed to contact me with the "Concerns Department." After waiting for that person to review the chat with the previous person, that person asked "Are you contacting us regarding the cd order?" even though it was clear that the issue involved both that order and the digital order Amazon fraudulently placed on my behalf last night. Before I could reply, I saw a message that said "Start typing so someone with knowledge of your issue can connect with you." In other words, the second person simply left the chat. When I got connected with the third person, they acted like they wanted me to start from square one. I asked them to simply review the previous chat, which they did. After about 10 minutes they said they were refunding the charge for the mp3 purchase I never made. Assuming that actually happens, then they resolved my issue. I'm not happy that it took over a half hour for this to occur; Amazon's customer service really pales to what it used to me. I much preferred just being able to email them and then get a response that the issue was resolved. This forced chat or phone call business just results in a lot of unnecessary back-and-forth and then waiting while the rep looks into the issue, which isn't too bad if the first person actually resolves the issue but is definitely a time waster if you get passed around like I did this morning.

24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I will do the same going forward. I simply didn't think that Amazon would take preorders for something they apparently could never deliver. I thought at the very least I would get the cd without the fancy packaging, and had they simply asked if I minded changing my order to that version at the same price I would have been okay with it. But live and learn. Now that I know that Amazon thinks substituting digital files for a physical release is reasonable, I will just avoid downloading their files until the cd is on its way to me.

Shawn and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  25. ILovethebassclarinet

I'll be waiting "until it's actually gone from my hands and into the CD player."
    At which point I will have no need for any MP3s.

lou a likes this.