Nancy Sinatra Reissue Campaign via Light In The Attic [Coming 2021]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FJFP, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

What would you say are the differences to the original pressings or what is lacking? I’m definitely up for this release but will wait for reviews of future individual studioo album releases.

polchik likes this.
  2. To me the new Nancy Sinatra comp sounds thin and edgy as if it were digital. I see folks saying it’s not so I’ll have to believe this but it not full and warm.

polchik and Porkpie like this.
  3. T. Thornton

T. Thornton Active Member

I'm getting the comp cd but I'm BUMMED it doesn't include "Last Of The Secret Agents."

Galley, Porkpie and RSteven like this.
  4. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I ordered the CD even though I've got the Rhino Hit Years which sounds pretty good (and there's a fair amount of overlap).

Honestly, I'd like to see a big old box set, like all her stuff or at least all her Lee Hazelwood stuff on CD

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I said in my review they sounded digitally mastered, but upon reading info on the web site it says the original tapes were used. My guess is they were used, but to make a digital master. These aren’t bad, but as I said before the best originals are indeed better. But these are better than an awful lot of modern remasters. They don’t sound more compressed or loud. They just lack a bit in detail and soundstage, but some Reprise originals are worse than these tracks. If you have have an excellent pressing (meaning to beat these songs you would need a good first press on clean vinyl) then these won’t sound quite as good. But on the other hand, you would need close to her entire catalog to end up with all the tracks contained on this compilation, and good luck with the 70’s tracks. Doesn’t make much sense...go with this and the nice book it comes with.

polchik likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My best Reprise albums that contain these tracks have more presence, and sound like they are closer to the original master as they sound more crisp and definitely exhibit bit more detail. I have an import vinyl compilation with a black cover that easily beats the new remastered tracks, but the domestic pink covered common hits album will depend on the pressing. Some are really good, some are a step down from the new one, just like most albums when different pressings are compared. However, as someone that almost always prefers best original pressings over any remasters, these tracks still sound good. It isn’t often I say that.

polchik likes this.
  7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

? :shrug:
    Thats a question I've asked.

Chip TRG likes this.
  8. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i KNEW this was coming! bring it on!!!! awesome.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    sharedon likes this.
  9. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I ordered a copy of the Deluxe CD with the 64-page book back on February 6th from Light In The Attic and haven't received it yet. So I e-mailed their order department along with the Order #, Confirmation #, etc. I'm hoping that they are just delayed ... or that my copy is on the way....

10. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

When I was a kid, we had a Nancy and Lee 8 track compilation that used to get played in the car. It was really great.

davenav, RSteven and polchik like this.
  11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Different pressings notwithstanding, the bottom line is that Nancy's stuff was decently recorded. Check out the bass on SO LONG, BABE, for instance. It's just so full.....

RSteven, lv70smusic and ashiya like this.
  12. DM333

DM333 Forum Resident

My start walkin ‘sugar town pink’ vinyl has arrived today. It looks really nice and is very well presented. The booklet is a good read too. The pink vinyl is great. It also sounds good, I’m very familiar with some of the songs and I feel these remasters sound very good.
    Anyone got one of the other colour variants? Some reviews are say the yellow and orange pressings don’t look nice.

RSteven likes this.
  13. The orange does look nice and fits with the cover art but as I wrote earlier, I am a bit disappointed with the mastering. Doesn't sound as good as Reprise issues, but it is a great comp.

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That’s not what I’ve read. Lots of photos over here:

START WALKIN' 1965-1976 (2021) - Page 9

15. DM333

DM333 Forum Resident

The photos of the different colours all look great. The reviews on discogs are not good someone said it’s the ugliest looking vinyl they own. All the promotional pictures of the different variants looked great.

16. I think it looks pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

17. Just compared Sugartown. The mono OG is clearer and crisper than the new one. I’m playing downstairs today on my vintage rig that is less bright than my main upstairs rig.

[​IMG]

JoeRockhead and Shawn like this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Agreed. Sounds good, looks great, but the very best Reprise are better. But I think we need to remember something. I got most of the reissued 70’s Bee Gees catalog even though I have excellent vintage copies. They used the masters. They were all good but two titles only got “nearly” as good, which is where I would place the Sinatra. Which these days is still quite acceptable imo, and better than what most likely have previously. I think we are at a point where tapes are showing their wear, and there is only so much you can do. I think they did a great job with what they had. I prefer this to engineers futzing around with it and trying to hide any flaws.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

W
    What a beauty! I found one a couple years ago on ebay, factory sealed for around $25. Love the steamboat label.

20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Not to be that guy but, Amazon has shipped my black vinyl version and it’s being delivered tomorrow so looks like they finally got the stock ready to distribute.

johnnybrum likes this.
  21. John22

John22 Forum Resident

BigManRestless likes this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Received my black vinyl version earlier and will give it a listen later. Does anyone know what material is used for those inner sleeves? I usually put my records into lined paper sleeves or nagaoka style sleeves. The sleeves that come with this album have an almost waxy feel and just wondered if they’re the ones everyone warns about using as they leach onto the vinyl over time. Given the deluxe treatment of this packaging/presentation I can’t imagine that’s the case but would be good to know.

23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

john hp likes this.
  24. csaudvid

csaudvid Forum Resident

I purchased the "Phaedra's Flowers" edition from CCMusic, received a shipping notice on 2/25 with tracking and it still shows that USPS is awaiting the item. I have sent an inquiry to CCM on it's status. :(

25. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

My Sugar Town Pink vinyl is being delivered today, looking forward to giving it a spin later on