Narcos - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stuguy, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Most of us stupid Americans can’t tell the difference between a Spanish or a Portuguese accent. I had no problems as I don’t understand either language adequately.

My wife is a native Spanish speaker, and while she commented on it, it didn’t seem to diminish her enjoyment of the series. That said, I’ve heard many complaints of Moura’s accent.

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

He got a Golden Globe nomination for Narcos.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Finished Narcos, Mexico. Excellent all around. Hints off Godfather One.

4. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

You have to hear spanish actors trying to speak italian in Versace :D

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  5. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

First two seasons were excelent. Just saw the first episode of Narcos : Mexico .That was bad, real bad .No more .

6. How so? I saw the first two episodes last and thought it was damn good.

Season 4 definitely doesn't have a lot of glitz or guys that are already way established in the drug business, which makes it feel more rootsy to me. Also, so far, they are
    only dealing in pot, which is a pretty innocuous "drug"
    compared to previous seasons. I wonder if that's a turn off?

I like it that the actors don't look like they are acting. The lead "good guy" looks like the future of the DEA, other than his sometimes wimpy demeanor, which is probably true to form for a person in real life. It seems authentic.

The main "bad guy" is like the Hispanic Edward Norton. That's the way he looks and acts: an everyman with a plan (that isn't going so well).

I was able to easily telegraph a few parts, which isn't generally a good sign. Other than that, though, I think it's excellent, and not too "Hollywood Handsom" in their casting.

I'll try to squeeze in two more tonight. It's really a shame that folks aren't talking more about Narcos.

7. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Most actors looked like amateurs .I found the acting over the top .What about the killing in the hotel lobby?. The shooter just sat down afterwards and nobody cared.Next i'll watch third 'Snowfall' season. First two were great.

8. The people in the hotel got the hell out of Dodge. They knew who was killed. None of the witnesses wanted to talk to the police. Tourists don't want to talk to the police.

9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Only dealing in pot doesn’t last long lol.

10. I'm glad I stuck with Snowfall as the first season was pretty bad but improved immensely in season two.

Back on topic, Narcos: Mexico improves over the first 2-3 episodes so it might be worth giving it a second chance.

11. Ha! Yeah, I know. I was thinking it might be a dull show if it only dealt in mild therapeutics. :p

On related note, though, shame on most of the world for making something like marijuana so prohibitive that people would get killed over it.

Brenald79 and GodShifter like this.
  12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

If the world stops making pot prohibitive people will just move on to something else to get killed over. It's what people do.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. This is true. People will kill people with or without reason. Though I suppose my main point is, the ridiculously impossed ban on grass just caused a lot of stupid, stupid deaths over needless laws. I don't dig on alcohol, but people were smart enough (eventually) to bring it back to legal status after all the needless death and violence it caused.

These DEA agents in the film are just freaking out over grass. Then we find out that the drug dealers in the show are all like, "Oh yeah, it brings in money, but it's such a 'soft' product compared to what we could be peddling."

turnersmemo and unclefred like this.
  14. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

And in the show those DEA agents are constantly shown guzzling beers after work. Not sure if the irony was intended.

turnersmemo, trem two and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I sure agree with you about that. Living here where it's been legal for awhile it seems odd to look back and remember how it was in those days.

A weird thing, when I worked in a penitentiary for awhile, they decided to suddenly declare tobacco contraband. A lot of people working there, me included, couldn't get behind that and it seemed like maltreatment of the inmates in a way. The reason they did it, studies nationwide had proven results, was to reduce drug smuggling into the institution. Because there would be so much activity turned towards tobacco smuggling, it is easier to get, and everyone wanted some, for trading value if not to smoke, and it had lesser penalties. It worked. It also resulted in a half dozen officers, nurses etc. getting fired for smuggling in tobacco. :p

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. I'm sure it is intended. The showrunners of Narcos usually don't miss a trick.

I will say that 5 episodes into Season 4 I don't find it as strong as the first 3 seasons, but it's still very, very good.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I checked out the first episode of “Narcos: Mexico” and it was okay. I wasn’t really too jazzed to watch the next episode though.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  18. I finished it. I thought Narcos: Mexcio was a great addition to the Narcos series. It wasn't as good as the first 3 seasons (they set the bar pretty high); still it was excellent in its own right, with enough twists and turns, plus interesting characters to keep it moving in a cool direction.

However, really these shows are the same, with bad drug dudes doing bad things. Narcos elevates the narrative with great plot, and great cinematography to boot. So, if you dig bad guys, bad women, and drug talk, then it's a good one. The funny thing is, I'm reminded that if these sort of drugs had never been illegal, how many lives could have been saved?

I don't have the figures, but based on some other countries, far less money is poured into education about drugs and their use, rather than the hordes of cash and lost lives combating drugs. You still supply money and education to your countrymen about the pros and cons and using drugs. It's much like prostitution. Legalize it, regulate it, make sure your hookers are clean, and your johns will stay clean. Sex trafficking will go way down. Lives will be saved. There are no "bad guys" if the drugs are legal (or at the least the "bad guys" are minimized). People want the forbidden fruit. If you don't forbid it then it loses much of its mystique, with less people going out of their way to break the law to obtain it. Now, the police have an easier time protecting and serving, stopping murderers and thieves, rather than some Joe who's just looking for one night with a hooker and some blow.

19. "Mexico" is a bit of a slow burner - took me a few episodes to get into it but good.

rogertheshrubber and GodShifter like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ve stuck with it. I think I’m on EP 6 now. It’s quite good and Teresa Ruiz provides a great impetus to keep watching.

Kiki Camarena’s story is very sad. Heartbreaking in fact. He changed the situation for all DEA agents working in Cental and South America from then to now, but at a horrible price.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Check out Bad Blood on Netflix. Staring Kim Coates. Some are calling it Narcos Canada. Season 1 is based on the book Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War. Fast paced and addicting like those 3 seasons of Narcos.
    Season 2 is even better but only currently available here. Probably the best Canadian series I’ve ever seen.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just started watching it English subtitles for Spanish, but the endless mumbling English narrative has no subtitle. But I’ll persevere anyway,nothing else new in my collection. :D

Brenald79 likes this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Nice. You’ll love it.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I just ignore the narrative mumbling. Grateful for the subtitles for Spanish dialogue.

Great location :action series.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  25. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Love it, all seasons.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.