Nashville RCA Studio B footage. Incredible!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by .crystalised., Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Believe you're right, good catch. I thought all Super 400s were electric but here is a 1938 acoustic.
    upload_2014-3-22_0-11-47.png

Dan C, Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
  2. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man, that's a gorgeous instrument. Just seeing it makes me want to pick it up and teach myself to play!

3. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Another Cindy Walker gem! Jim Reeves had great taste for the perfect country-pop song, and nobody wrote 'em quite like Cindy. She was just amazing and Jim Reeves really did her songs justice. :)

Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
  4. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Hey MYKE. Does Leon Russell still live in that area?

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

He may still live in Hendersonville, I'm not sure. There was a great, funny piece in a local free paper here, years ago, about the author and a buddy fighting the urge to approach Leon in a local restaurant. :laugh:
    See, there's an unspoken rule here that we leave celebrities alone, and let them relax.

I just found this follow up : http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/leon-russell-redux/Content?oid=1194491

6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Are you talking about the Jim Reeves museum?

Jim's last home in Madison still stands at 400 Westchester Drive. It looks pretty much the way it did back in Jim's day.

.crystalised. likes this.
  7. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

And Bea was, according Larry Jordan (author of Jim Reeves's biography), a significant other in Jim's life. And yes, it was apparently at her insistence that Jim began to sing mellowly. The song, "Am I Losing You" was written by Jim for Bea.

At 672 pages, it's one hunk of a biography. You can read more about it here:

http://jimreevesbook.com/

Here is an excerpt on Bea Terry from Larry's blog:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  8. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Yes, that's the museum, not Jim's home.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just checked Google Maps, 2 miles from me. I'll be damned. Thanks.

Kkfan and .crystalised. like this.
  10. george nadara

Back in the late '50s or early '60s, iirc, a roundabout was installed at the end of 16th or 17th Avenue S... perhaps both... to prevent logjams of cars with sightseers.

This photo from the 1960s ties in with privacy and is for our op as much as anyone. The building is at an intersection and this, the front, faces north on a side street. The western end is at 17th Avenue S. The front door isn't visible in this photo, just beyond the windows... which have been removed or covered. While the musicians undoubtedly entered by either door, Elvis Presley and most of the stars probably tried to leave out the "side or back doors" on the left, or east end. This was near the parking area, although where Elvis parked his motorcycle, who knows?

RCA Studio B in 1960s.PNG

11. .crystalised.

'Am I Losing You.' A great recording.

Kkfan likes this.
  12. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Myke likes this.
  13. .crystalised.

Does anyone suppose Elvis would park his motorcycle in plain sight? I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

14. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

It sure is. Jim recorded it no less than 4 times. :)

15. .crystalised.

There's a story I've always loved about an exchange that happened between Chet Atkins and Patsy Cline in 1960. Patsy's 4 Star contract had finally expired, and she hadn't yet signed to Decca. Chet and Patsy were attending a cocktail party for some industry event, and when Atkins walked over to say hello, he handed Patsy a folded cocktail napkin. After he walked away, she unfolded it and read his message. It said, "so when are you coming over to RCA?" :)

Myke and Kkfan like this.
  16. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Wow!

Then I may have passed your house on my way to see Jim's last October. :)

Myke likes this.
  17. george nadara

You know, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Elvis drove his motorcycle indoors and left it in the hall.

.crystalised. and Kkfan like this.
  18. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Congratulations!!

I've been on the tour twice already and can never get enough of it. I'll be sure to look out for that name tag on my next visit. :D

19. .crystalised.

Wow, really? I had no idea! All 4 were studio masters, or were some versions demos from his home studio?

20. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Yes, the cabinet was still there last October. And the tour guide makes it a point to tell you the story. And, yes, neither the studio nor Elvis wanted to pay to fix it.

21. .crystalised.

HA! Indeed :D

22. .crystalised.

I'm kind of happy to know they didn't. ;) helps personification of the studio

Kkfan likes this.
  23. george nadara

7622272882_8001984b80_z.jpg

Again, not mine, from online. The yellow notwithstanding, the photo is relevant... the cabinet...

artfromtex, .crystalised. and Kkfan like this.
  24. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

From what Jim himself says during a live performance, they are all studio masters. I know of two of these: one in 1957 and the other in 1960.

25. .crystalised.

Thanks, Kkfan. I'm only familiar with the stereo master (presumably the 1960 recording)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.