Nat Cole question for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ArneW, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve,

I was just listening to "You Call It Madness (But I Call It Love)" from Nat Cole's Greatest Hits on DCC. Wow! This sounds just as good as the other tracks, I hardly can believe it was recorded in 1946! How do you do such a transfer from an original metal mother? Is it played back just like an LP on a turntable? I always thought that anything pre-1950 had this "vintage sound" we know from old movies, like one was singing into a bucket or sth. Was this originally recorded on tape? Is it lost or just "unplayable"? How sad I didn't get around earlier to your Nat Cole treatments - "Greatest Hits" is my first one, and I now I have to have the two other releases. I am becoming an addict, i guess.

Yours, Arne

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That was a transfer from a 16" disc. Capitol didn't start using tape until late 1948.

Sounds good, eh? Sure, why not? It wasn't the dark ages, although many people imagine that it was.

Glad you like it!

3. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. That was really fast! BTW, I listened to my mono copy of "Strangers In The Night" last night - it's amazing how different it sounds when you haven't played it for a long time. Guess I should look for a cleaner copy; it really has a lot to it.

Arne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.