Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Just picked up this set for $10. I don't know if it has anything I don't already have but the price was right. I see this set was produced in 1989 and was compiled by Vic Lanza with mastering by Ron Hill. Haven't checked out the sound yet but was surprised to see that in a 4-CD collection of film and show songs, they couldn't find room for Nat's "Song From Raintree County" or "In The Cool Of The Day." That's crazy. He sang those two film's theme songs over the opening credits! Why on earth would they exclude those?!

photo.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    photo-1.JPG

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Congrats, Clark! Unless there were space problems, it is hard to understand why two obvious songs were left out. At least you get "They Can't Make Her Cry" from Cat Ballou. I like Nat's voice on that one (as compared to the Bear set). Let us know what you think of the sound. As I recall, this early digital 1989 set seemed sort of average to me. But it has been several years since I heard it. I have newer equipment to play it now.

What a bargain! Hard to go wrong for that price.!

3. Clark V Kauffman

I've listened to about half of the set so far, and some of the songs (such as the two "Cat Ballou" tracks, "Only Forever," "Return To Paradise, etc.) sound very, very good, many sound OK, and a few ("Love Letters" and "Just One Of Those Things") are pretty dire. Looking forward to hearing the fourth disc, which is largely early mono recordings, some of which I don't have.

I don't suppose any alternate takes found their way onto this set, did they? (I ask because "Ballad of Cat Ballou" sounds decidedly different, but that could be because I am more familiar with the version sung in the film, which is different from the common Capitol release.)

Also, my copy of this box didn't come with a booklet or any liner notes beyond what's printed on the jewel case rear covers. Maybe that's normal, but it seems odd that Capitol would go the trouble of assembling this 86-track themed set and putting it in 12x12 box, without even a single sheet of liner notes.

4. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Nice catch ...I want one and didn't know that set existed. Leaving off "Song From Raintree County" is a sin.

dale 88 likes this.
  5. Clark V Kauffman

Think I'll burn it to CD-R with "Blues From 'Kiss Me Deadly,'" "Song From 'Raintree County,'" and "In The Cool Of The Day" added to the line-up.

6. dale 88

My copy didn't have a booklet either. I got mine from a record shop in England. Since it was an EMI project, you would think they could have included a bit more information. My box came with one cassette tape of some of the same songs on the CDs.

I didn't listen that carefully for alternate takes. I remember that they list "I Am In Love" as the recorded on "20/7/61" version, but I think it is the 1953 version. Will have to re-listen.

7. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have this.Pretty sure what I have is the 10" LP.

dale 88 likes this.
  8. Clark V Kauffman

Yeah, "I'm In Love" is in mono, so I believe it's the earlier recording. Some of the tracks on this set sound very nice. "Mona Lisa," "Let's Fall In Love," Haji Baba," "Never Let Me Go" (which doesn't have the obvious drop-out heard on other versions I have) and "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" are roughly the same caliber as the old "Capitol Collectors Series" CD, which I always thought was one of the better-sounding NKC compilations -- although it's not in the same league as the DCC or SACD discs, obviously.

I'll give this set a much closer listen tonight with headphones now that I have it recorded to Minidisc! :)

photo.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    DJ WILBUR and rxcory like this.
  9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Any chance you could post a clip so we could compare?

10. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

tis is for JTaylor 006.JPG

jtaylor likes this.
  11. kennyluc1

Nat is on the left

12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I've never heard that. How is Nat's parody, "I've Grown Accustomed to His Pace?"

13. kennyluc1

Very funny, he stumbles on the words. I assume it is a Sammy Cahn Parody.

14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I think that's right.

15. dale 88

A photograph of Nat by Teenie Harris, Pittsburgh photographer.

Starstruck: Nat King Cole shaking hands with one of four boys, including Howard Parker, George Parker, Steven Trent, and James J. Jackson, with disc jockey Dave Scott in background, in Carlton House, January - February 1959
    [​IMG]

Here is a previous Thread on Teenie Harris started by Steve Hoffman:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-see-lena-horne-satchmo-ellington-etc.278036/

jtaylor likes this.
  16. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Nat was playing the Twin Coaches, just outside Pittsburgh, from 26 January - 31 January, 1959.

17. dale 88

Thanks. Here is a confirmation of a new? date for Nat on the road, Minneapolis 1952.

The "Biggest Show of 1952" took place on November 9 at the Minneapolis Auditorium. Acts included:
    • Nat King Cole
    • Stan Kenton
    • Sarah Vaughan
    • Stump & Stumpy
    • George Kirby
    • Teddy Hale
    • The Congaroos dance troupe
    Photos of the WTCN DJs after the show, courtesy of the Pavek Museum of Broadcasting.
    [​IMG]
    Delmont, Thayer, Nat King Cole, and Widman.

[​IMG]
    ?, Stan Kenton, Sev Widman, Jack Thayer, Sarah Vaughan, and Jimmy Delmont.

18. dale 88

OK, car buffs, what year is this car? I'm guessing early to mid 50's?

[​IMG]

rxcory and Simon A like this.
  19. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Dale, judging by the side emblem, I'd have to say it's a 1955. From everything I've seen, they changed the side emblem in '56.

dale 88 likes this.
  20. DLant

1955_cadillac_deville-pic-4990961049977603567.jpeg

Almost looks identical. (found this on the interwebs)

dale 88 likes this.
  21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Absolutely beautiful car! :love:

DLant likes this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Those bullets on the front grille always made me think of the damage they could cause:D

rxcory and DLant like this.
  23. DLant

We had a '55 Buick Special when I was young, it had those same missile shaped things on the grille. I always imagined that they were indeed, missiles.

24. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Ran across this photo recently, from Nat's engagement in Mexico City, March 1962. Trumpeter Reunald Jones is at top right.

MexicoCity1962.jpg

benjaminhuf and EasterEverywhere like this.
  25. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I'm not a Cadillac expert, but I believe they used the same side emblem in 1953 and 1954 as well.

One of the things throwing me off is that most of the Cadillacs in that time frame have the fender crease going back from the headlight that's visible in the pic you posted, but the car in the photo with Nat doesn't appear to.