Nat King Cole experts, tell me about "Every Time I Feel The Spirit" LP, 1959, amazing stereo sound!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Jordan kindly sent me a clean mono LP of "Every Time I Feel The Spirit" and it is indeed a dedicated mono mix as far as I can tell. Nat's voice is terribly distorted on peaks though which renders it useless as an enjoyable listening experience on a good system. Fascinating to listen to the different style of mixing on it though.

And of course, as always, the last track ("Steal Away") is worth the price of admission.

BIG ED, apileocole and rxcory like this.
  2. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Glad it showed up in one piece. I don't think the other thing I sent you is in good shape at all, and yet it was the best of three or four copies.

3. Steve Hoffman

Can you believe all the echo they dumped on the album "The Touch Of Your Lips"? Wow, that was so overkill. Can't believe they liked that in those days.

4. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Drowning in it. One of the big reasons - aside from the music itself - that folks want you to remix that puppy.

.crystalised., MMM, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Does the mono version have that much reverb? I've never heard it.

6. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

it does

7. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Bingo! That and the fact that Nat is so far back in the mix that he's almost secondary to the music.

8. Steve Hoffman

Wow, bummer.

9. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I got a mono D3/D1 pressing of 'Every Time I Feel The Spirit' as part of a NKC LP lot on ebay. It sounds ok except for a couple of skips at the beginning of "Oh Mary, Don't You Weep". I may have played it just once when I got it. Listening again today, it just doesn't do much for me. If I wanted to turn someone on to NKC this would not be the album I chose.

10. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Then you play them the version on Steve's The Nat King Cole Story and blow them away. At least we got that one song done right!

11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Did you check out the King Cole Teleportation™ show in Poinciana? Apparently operated by faders on the 3-track to stereo mixing console and ignored for all of its 3 subsequent remixes...

It'd be great to hear the Touch album with a richer, less coldly cavernous remix and feel some auditory spirit every time I play Every Time I Feel the Spirit.

.crystalised., DLant and rxcory like this.
  12. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Ahh, yes, that would do it!

13. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

So, has anyone fiddled around with their recording of "Every Time I Feel The Spirit"?

14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I've been redoing my needle drops now that I have a better cart/stylus/software and naturally I started with Nat King Cole. I'm midway down my list and I pull this album out (the stereo reissue LP). Out-of-phase stereo mix notwithstanding, I am impressed with the headroom of this recording. You can turn it way up (crankin' the gospel music!) and it sounds great. I can only imagine how good this must sound going back to the master tapes and correcting the phase issues. At least we have "Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep" from the APO The Nat King Cole Story.

DLant likes this.
  15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Resurrecting this year old thread for a moment...

Might the engineer have been Bernie Clapper?

16. Steve Hoffman

No idea!

17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Here's an acetate from July 9, 1959. We have take #2 documented for this (don't know if that came from you or not, Steve), but this at least says take #10.

[​IMG]

This one, also take #10, we have as take #9....

[​IMG]

BIG ED likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

They released this as a single? What was on the other side? Dreadful EQ on that lacquer, yucch!

They probably had an entire reel of that song and when they chose it for a 45 (did they release it?) they picked a different performance, perhaps? This was right before the great vault purge of '59..

19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Released on an EP, but not a single.

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

So...different takes on the EP vs. the LP?????

21. Steve Hoffman

From the companion mono reels.

Anyone have the audio?

22. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I doubt that, though I've not heard the EP.

23. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

24. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

I was listening to The Nat King Cole Story SACD tonight and something struck me while listening to "Oh, Mary Don't You Weep". No matter how many times I play that song, I'm always dazzled by the presence and dynamics of this groovy church recording. But tonight, I heard something that made me wonder if Nat was wearing the same bracelet during this recording that he was playing with during the outtakes of "I Thought About Marie". I've heard it before, and always assumed that it was a tambourine in the choir or something in the rhythm section, but after repeated listens tonight, I realized that it's sometimes off beat throughout the song, and damned if it doesn't sound A LOT like Nat's bracelet! If so, he's really bouncing around and grooving during this recording and it makes me love the song (and him) even more. Every time Nat feels the spirit...he moves!

Thoughts, anybody? Paging all NKC experts!

DLant and Simon A like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Wouldn't surprise me, he loved that thing.

DLant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.