Nat King Cole: "Hittin' the Ramp" - early-period set from Resonance, rel. Nov. 1, 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 19, 2019.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Matt, is there a predetermined number of pressings for both the CD and LP set?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I do not recall. Sorry.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I'm going to straighten up and fly right and get this set as soon as it's released!

4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I've only heard a small amount of this period's work by Nat King Cole but will buy this set. I'm amazed at how much new "old stuff" there is to discover. I can't keep up with the music I want to listen to but this box set will be at the top of my things to spend time learning. Thank you to everyone involved in getting this out and letting us know about it. Gonna be a nice winter of listening come November.

.crystalised. and MLutthans like this.
  5. MLutthans

Speaking of which.....

This set goes up to (but not including) Nat's first Capitol recording, which was Straighten Up and Fly Right. Prior to that Capitol recording, Nat recorded the song three times (that have survived), and two of them appear in this set.

•August 1943, for the film Here Comes Elmer. This version is not in the set, but you can see/hear the track here:
    That film version does not appear in the set, as it is incomplete with some very odd, un-musical edits in spots.

•November 8, 1943, Jubilee program #51, for Armed Forces Radio, but recorded at NBC in Hollywood. This is a highly different arrangement compared to the Capitol version, and was only ever released on the BIAC label in Belgium, where it appeared in fake stereo. The new set uses a new transfer from a 16" AFRS disk in the Wayne Knight Collection at UCSB.

•"August 11, 1943" -- this possibly mis-dated version appeared on a 15-minute Armed Forces program called "Personal Album" (program #227 in that series) that we thought was lost to the ages. To our delight, at the last minute, we tracked down a one-off, early 50s (?) 12" microgroove acetate dub of the 1943 16" pre-microgroove disk, possibly made as a favor to the late Roy Holmes of Surrey, England, in whose collection the acetate was residing. Roy's son Rob arranged to have the disk transferred for us in the UK. The disk had degraded somewhat (in a few places, the soft, acetate groove walls have given up the ghost, and the adjacent groove's music is briefly audible, "out of place" by 1.8 seconds), but we included it despite the imperfections, which are fleeting in nature. I have suspicions about the date's accuracy because the performance is incredibly similar to the released Capitol version, to the point that it almost could be an alternate from that session. My suspicion -- nothing more -- is that it was recorded well after the November 8 version mentioned above, but prior to the Capitol recording of November 30. Whatever the actual date, by the time of the recording, the soon-to-be Capitol arrangement was fully developed and masterfully performed. This is presented as the final track in the set, with spoken commentary by Nat before and after the performance.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  6. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

A little clarification on the dating.

The November 8 date for Jubilee 51 is the date of dubbing according to AFRS files. They list a recording date (for everything) as being sometime in the summer. So it still could be the case that Personal Album was recorded after Jubilee 51 (and be August 11 at that).

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

This information is just mind-blowing. Talk about being THOROUGH! Amazing.

Fred Dender, rxcory, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Agreed!

RSteven, MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  9. MLutthans

Maybe even, as hinted at in previous discussions, a mixup of US vs. UK date formats, i.e, 8/11/43 (UK) and 11/8/43 (US) meaning the same thing, and possibly getting mixed up.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

NOT pertaining to this set but "early" Nat comment (I hope you will not mind).

Driving into work this AM I had Disc 16 of the "Complete CApitol Mosaic" set playing. My ears REALLY perked up at the instrumentals at the end of the disc "Penthouse Serenade", "Rose Room", "Old Mill Stream", "Laura' & "Polka Dots & Moonbeams". WOW!!!! That trio was absolutely brilliant even without any vocals. Truly timeless.

Back to this great new box set soon to arrive.....

steveinphilly, coleman and MLutthans like this.
  11. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Matt :
    What is the reason's given that you were denied permission to use the 2 Lionel Hampton/KCT sessions ?

12. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Also, are the 8 songs currently available on CD. I have the 8 songs on a CD titled LH "Small Groups Vol 4 " this is a French 1991 release . The n2 sessions would have fit perfectly with what NKC was doing with the trio.

13. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

We tried to get ‘em. Believe me, we tried.

steveinphilly, njwiv, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  14. MLutthans

Neither Jordan nor I were involved in the discussions with the owner of those Victor sessions, so we have no pertinent details to add to what Jordan said (above) . Those tracks were certainly on the proposed track list from day one, but it was not to be.

They are all available in other official releases (LP, CD, and iTunes).

steveinphilly, Kkfan, njwiv and 3 others like this.
  15. MLutthans

...and just to clarify, there were eight such tracks, plus an alternate take of "Dough-Ra-Me."

CBackley likes this.
  16. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Nat is one of my very favorite artists, yet this collection's also a primer on Oscar Moore, in the front rank of electric guitarists during that time (he still is, imo)... Likewise, Trio members Wesley Prince and Johnny Miller are much underrated as jazz bassists. That ingenious group had its own style, especially with up-tempo jazz and dreamy ballads.

One good source for the complete Hampton sessions, including the Dough-Rey-Mi alternate, is French RCA's The Complete Lionel Hampton Vol. 5/6:

Lionel Hampton - The Complete Lionel Hampton Vol. 5/6 (1940-1941)

steveinphilly, Mr. H, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  17. MLutthans

Some here may recall this post from two years ago. The questions posed there came from guitarist Nick Rossi, whose playing style is very much influenced by Oscar Moore. Nick and I have struck up a bit of a long-distance friendship over the last couple of years (since that post), and I was delighted when Zev Feldman from Resonance reached out to Nick to write an essay about Oscar for the boxed set. It's about time Oscar gets some attention! :agree:

I stand in awe of Oscar's playing throughout the set, especially on the early tracks where he plays acoustic.

steveinphilly, Kkfan, njwiv and 7 others like this.
  18. Lonson

Jordan, Matt,
    Can you speak to the source material and the transfer information for the Decca sides? Thanks.

19. MLutthans

Those Decca holdings were donated by MCA to the Library of Congress several years ago -- 1998, I think, but don't quote me -- and the infamous Universal fire that everybody is so atwitter about had zero impact on our set. Metal parts have been largely non-existent since the 1950s, but seven songs have surviving metal parts today, and we used existing digital transfers for six of them, and existing analog transfers (of metal parts that no longer exist) for several others. We avoided transferring from 78s unless there was absolutely nothing else available, such as for the single version of Sweet Lorraine. I think this is the best the Decca tracks have ever sounded, but I am admittedly both biased and maybe a little "too close to the project" to feel otherwise.

The tracks are all speed/pitch-corrected, which may be a little jarring to those who are used to hearing them off-speed, as they have appeared on many past releases.

20. Lonson

Thank you! This will make a few bristly ones happier on another forum.

Dave Garrett, MLutthans and RSteven like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Wonderful!

Next mission: a set that gathers all of the Capitol material not on the Mosaic or Bear Family sets.

22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I can appreciate your enthusiasm here, but I think perhaps we should wait until we have had the pleasure of having actually enjoyed this blessing of a set a little before making requests for more. :)

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Next mission: ENJOY this set when it arrives and spend time taking it in. Give praise for it to all who were responsible. Critique as you see fit (and I KNOW you will! :winkgrin:) Let's enjoy what we have and what we know is about to arrive.

Fred Dender, ispace, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  24. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

No reason not to indicate willingness to support such a project ASAP, especially as that cat in the beard is not going to live forever.

25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Of course. I never said otherwise.