Nat King Cole: "Hittin' the Ramp" - early-period set from Resonance, rel. Nov. 1, 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 19, 2019.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

_20190614_192031b.JPG
    1938 label for Nat's very first session recordings as a leader (as opposed to being in his brother's band). This 16" transcription disk is from the collection of a wonderful guy named Harry Arends in Hollywood, who had me over to his house to go though his collection last month, and he dubbed this disk for us right there on the spot. (Mr. Arends, by the way, missed his calling as a professional audio archivist, as he is better equipped to do transfers of vintage disks than most archives are. He knows his stuff! I was very impressed, and he's a heck of a nice guy, to boot. He could not have been kinder or more supportive of our project.)

2. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

I have gathered this set myself a few years back, from (obviously) a myriad of sources. My first “complete” compilation and @jtaylor was patient and kind enough to share his expertise with my many questions about this material. If I were to rehash it, I’d probably look for more analog sources, but it’s really hard to find clean 45s/78s from 1950-1954! 99% of my sources were digital, with multiple stereo widenings, added reverbs, anonymous mastering engineers and Norbergs, etc.

Looking forward to this new set mainly because of the work of @MLutthans and @jtaylor, although I’m more a fan of Nat’s 1950’s work.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The new set will be special. If there is information regarding the physical formats of the LP versus the CD box, that would be nice (such as, does the LP box have a large format book, different than the CD box book? or does the LP box have additional graphics not in the CD box). I will get the CD box for sure, but may also get the LP box.

RSteven and paulmock like this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I am still in that "boat" as well. If that LP box set is more "visually attractive" I have a feeling I am gonna be a whole lot "less rich" come the end of the year!

kennyluc1 likes this.
  5. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I need a little more info on this set. Does "pre-Capitol" include Nat's radio transcription recordings?

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I believe that is all explained in the press release...I think.

7. MLutthans

Just to be perfectly clear: The set contains everything Nat King Cole recorded prior to his first session at Capitol: Transcriptions, small label recordings, Decca recordings, private recordings, a jukebox-only track (in poor sound, but at least it exists, which is a minor miracle), tracks from his radio-show appearances -- everything except his recordings with Lionel Hampton, which have been released many times by RCA/Sony and Mosaic (as discussed earlier in the thread).

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Is that ALL?????????:p

hodgo, RSteven, George P and 3 others like this.
  9. MLutthans

The recording of Nat waiting in line at the DMV never turned up.

10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

How’s he going to hit the ramp without a license?

11. George P

George P Notable Member

If he can't drive, he can always fly (right.)

12. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

To help my (not NKC-related) research, can you tell me who currently owns the rights to Standard transcriptions? I was told it was a Chicago company named Soundies, but the fellow who owned it died. Thanks for any further light anyone might shed.

As for this set, obviously a must-have for me!

13. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Nice looking promo, but why obscure the sound of the recording with the sound of a motion picture machine? It fades down as the music starts, but as far as I can tell never completely goes away.

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Cause some idiot thought it would be more "retro" attractive to add some vintage type noise to the whole thing. Here we have two of our most astute members doing all they possibly could to give us the clearest, cleanest sound from these ancient sources while some promo idiot decides to "age" the whole set. :realmad::cussing:

15. MLutthans

_20190730_104957.JPG
    A disk that turned up a UC Santa Barbara in June. Note that the label indicates "start inside," meaning that the disk plays from the label area to the outer edge -- backward direction from what we are used to. (This was pretty common with transcription disks.) Note, too, that the label errantly states a speed of "3.33 RPM" - - That, I assure you, was not accurate! (Place value matters, kids.)

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOAH! I've never heard of a disk playing "inside-out". That's amazing to me even though you state it being commonplace.

RSteven and MLutthans like this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Very common in 12 and 16 inch transcriptions. The recently discovered Woody Guthrie acetates deliberately state outside in, so there was a question with non standard issue recordings. Those 16 inchers were huge and you needed special equipment to play them

RSteven and paulmock like this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Inside start was sometimes used on programs with at least two sides, to compensate for any fidelity issues on the inner part of the groove, so that when changing from one side to another (with the other disc on a different turntable), the program would transition more seamlessly if one disc started physically around the same place along the side vs where the previous one left off.

19. MLutthans

Exactly. It's like putting the frog in water and slowly heating it up, as opposed to putting the frog in boiling water. Translation: For 2-sided programs, side one would run, say, ouside to inside (normal), with high frequency response gradually worsening as the stylus approached the center, then side two -- which would often be on a different disk played on a different turntable, to facilitate instantaneous "changeover" from side one to side two, just like changing film reels in a theatre -- would start in the center, where high frequency response was just as poor as it was at the end of side one, and there would be no sudden jump in sound quality. High frequency response would then gradually increase as the stylus approached the "end" of side two, which was actually the outer edge of the record. It was a pretty ingenious and practical workaround to the problem of losing high frequency quality at the later portions of the 16" disks.

20. CBackley

I hope you like dumb questions: How did they play from the inside to the outer side? Grooves cut differently? Turntable platter spinning counter-clockwise? Different turntable design entirely? Magic?

21. MLutthans

@CBackley -- Not dumb questions!

The playback stylus on a turntable, generally speaking, is very happy to be dragged wherever the groove will take it. "Start Inside"-type transcription disks are, as you suggest, cut differently, but only insofar as direction of travel across the disk goes. Aside from that, they are just like "Start outside" (normal) disks. All that changes is where you drop the tonearm -- near the label, or near the edge. Turntable spins the same way.

As far as different turntable design needs, the only things that are different are 1.) you need to be able to physically accommodate a 16" record -- regardless of where the groove starts (and most turntables cannot physically handle a 16" disk); and 2.) The tonearm needs to be longer compared to that needed for 12" playback.

Typically, the groove on a transcription disk is (nominally) about 2.5 mil, which is very close in size to the groove on a 78 (nominally 3.0 mil or so), so most people or facilities who have to handle these disks have a number or styli at their disposal, as groove size varies a bit, and sometimes, to avoid baked-in damage in the grooves, you want to be able to ride a little high in the groove, so maybe you'll use, say, a 3.3 mil stylus, and you may also play around with stylus shape a bit (conical, elliptical, truncated). Lots of variables to fiddle with to milk the most you can from the grooves.

When I took my system on the road to do dubs, I had a number of styli with me, ranging from 0.7 mil to 3.3 mil, but only wound up actually using my 2.5 and 3.0 mil styli for dubbing the disks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  22. CBackley

Thanks! That’s fascinating.

23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I was wondering the exact same thing. Thanks for having the guts to ask the question and thanks to @MLutthans for the quick answer. I love this forum.:)

24. CBackley

I’m glad @MLutthans explained it so quickly. My only theory for the “from inside” records was maybe they had to play them in the Southern Hemisphere. :)

MLutthans and RSteven like this.
  25. MLutthans

_20190802_194726.JPG
    Original 1943 16" disk containing non-circulating versions of "Solid Potato Salad" (CD 6/LP 9) and "I Know That You Know" (CD 7/LP 10).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021