Nat King Cole: "Hittin' the Ramp" - early-period set from Resonance, rel. Nov. 1, 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 19, 2019.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Perhaps this has been discussed in other Nat threads but I shall ask here...

I've been slowly digesting the massive Mosaic set in preparation for the new goody to arrive. I am noticing quite a bit of "Louie Prima ism's" in Nat's uptempo vocals. So who imitated who with those crazy vocal "riffs"? I believe Prima was predominantly a trumpeter around these years, correct?

2. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Can you cite any particular recordings, Paul?

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

O
    Oooooh! Sorry but right off hand no. Been listening to them in my car on my daily commute. I am just beginning Disc 6 now so it's early on for sure. If I catch any from this point forward I shall make sure to remember to pass along.

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Indeed!!!! But there are some rythmn tunes where he plays with the words like Louie did. No big deal. Just wondered ala chicken vs. egg.

5. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I hear a lot of Louis Armstrong in Prima.

MMM likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

This is for @kennyluc1 and anybody else curious about the Ammor Records releases. (See page two of this thread for chat about these sides.) Here are the labels from the Ammor disks. (Photos by Scott Wenzel of Mosaic, showing the disks dubbed for our set that reside at Rutgers. )
    Messaging1558973724959#1.jpg Messaging1558973551441#1.jpg Messaging1558973530181#1.jpg Messaging1558973510706#1.jpg
    Also, proving that "you learn something new every day," I learned today in an e-mail from Will Friedwald that AMMOR was an acronym: Automatic Music Machine Operators Recording. These disks were apparently for jukebox use, something I had never known before!

The two disks were clearly pressed at different facilities, or at minimum, on different presses.

7. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I must say that those labels are simple but beautiful. I am beyond excited for this set.

MLutthans and RSteven like this.
  8. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

This is absolutely amazing!

9. French Pathe discs playing various speeds from 80 up to 120rpm were commonly manufactured from 1906 through to early 1920s with centre start. These were also vertically cut "hillandale" type and not laterally cut records.

If you think about it a lot of music tends to build up getting louder as it progresses and typically ends with a crescendo. Having more groove area on the outer rim makes a lot of sense to achieve this without distortion.

I have a lot of Pathe discs ranging from 6" diameter to 20"!

MMM and CBackley like this.
  10. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh my! Oh my! Looks beautiful. I can only imagine what the LP set looks like!!!!!

teag likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, that should be a really nice 10 LP set. Currently $199.98 on Amazon. Same at Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds. Hopefully it will come down a bit.

Edit: $179.78 at Deep Discount.

paulmock likes this.
  13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Wow!

14. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Beautiful !! can't wait to hold that in MY hands. I really like the design & the colors are so vivid. My old friend Mr. Friedwald, has a essay in the booklet. Who are some of the other writers ? Matt & JT do either of you have something in print ?

CBackley likes this.
  15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

There is an Oscar Moore appreciation that was penned by guitarist Nick Rossi, who is an outstanding player in his own right and an authority on Moore.

Matt authored a “technical note.” I did the discography.

Additionally, there are several blurbs/statements by prominent artists like Quincy Jones, Freddy Cole, and many others. Plenty of photos as well.

Fred Dender, Ridin'High, Ere and 5 others like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Is the LP book full LP sized? Is it hardcover or pamphlet style? Does the LP book have photos or text not in cd book?

17. As much as I'd like to help I'm sorry I know nothing about this set whatsoever.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe someone else knows....

19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Have you tried getting in touch with the record company releasing the set?

20. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  21. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Hummina hummina hummina!

paulmock and jtaylor like this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Ouch! My poor wallet’s gonna take another hit.

paulmock likes this.
  23. Don Lucho

Don Lucho Forum Resident

Someone mentioned earlier that there was a bunch of Capitol stuff not covered in the Mosaic or Bear Family box sets. Can someone point me in the direction of a list of this stuff, if one exists? Thanks.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

81IUQVfpAKL._SL1500_.jpg
    Hummina hummina hummina!

paulmock, MMM, Reader and 1 other person like this.
  25. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Resonance Records

The link above goes to Resonance's Facebook and is accompanied by a short Will Friedwald essay.

njwiv, ispace, paulmock and 3 others like this.