Nat King Cole: "Hittin' the Ramp" - early-period set from Resonance, rel. Nov. 1, 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 19, 2019.

1. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

2. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The ol' appetite is sure getting "whetted" with all of this stuff coming out pre-release! LOVE IT.

kennyluc1, MMM and MLutthans like this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Autographed disk that turned up during archival research:
    DSC_9087b.jpg

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Resonance Records

CHAPTER 6 NAT KING COLE | THE AMMOR SESSION, SPRING 1940. The first commercial session for the King Cole Trio? [bit.ly/2Gk4Hk5]

On November 1, 2019, Resonance Records is releasing NAT KING COLE — HITTIN’ THE RAMP: THE EARLY YEARS (1936-1943), which will be the most comprehensive collection of Nat’s pre-Capitol Records recordings and transcriptions that has ever been produced. As part of the ramp up to the release of this set (which contains seven CDs or 10LPs and over 180 tracks), we are taking a closer look here at Nat’s early years, starting with his birth in Montgomery and childhood and early musical experience in Chicago.

In early 1940, the King Cole Trio made what is sometimes described as its first commercial session; the designation is somewhat debatable because the four sides were recorded specifically for distribution to the jukebox market rather than regular commercial sales. Ammor Records (Automatic Music Machine Operators Recording) was launched by Jack Gutshall, who hired the veteran songwriter and A&R man Leon René to produce. Cole seems to have taken the occasion very seriously, picking three numbers the Trio had been playing for a while: “I Like to Riff” (which the label names as “I Like the Riff”), “Black Spider” (leaving out the word “Stomp” this time), and “By the River St. Marie.” The fourth tune was a new treatment of a venerated standard that also had the potential to become a King Cole classic, “On the Sunny Side of the Street.” On this date, Nat experimented with adding a drummer, the talented Lee Young, to the group. Suffice it to say that Nat swiftly concluded the Trio was better off without one, though he later hired Young for his touring group. [WRITTEN BY WILL FRIEDWALD]

PRE-ORDER NOW! (Available November 1st)

Man oh man! The month cannot go by fast enough so I can enjoy this great set. Let's see....CD or LP??????? CD or LP????????? :help:

Fred Dender and njwiv like this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Super cool, Matt! And especially great to hear you talk a bit about this project. :wave:

Bob F, paulmock and MLutthans like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

Amazon has the CD set now for $85.49. The LP set is still $199.98.

Bob F, paulmock and RSteven like this.
  9. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Just watched this video for the third time in a row. November can’t get here fast enough! Bravo Jordan, Matt and everyone else involved in this project!

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOWIE!!!! (BTW, you cleaned up pretty well for that on camera interview. :edthumbs:) This set is more and more exciting daily. Thanks for being a part of it @MLutthans .

bozburn, MLutthans, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi Matt,

Do you happen to know about how many songs on the new set were later re-recorded by Nat for Capitol?

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I think the answer is in this thread....

13. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

In one form or another, the following were later recorded for Capitol:

Don’t Blame Me
    Three Blind Mice
    Caravan
    Baby, Won’t You Please Come Home
    On the Sunny Side of the Street
    Sweet Lorraine
    Honeysuckle Rose
    You’ve Changed
    Tea for Two
    Body and Soul
    I Know That You Know
    I'm Lost
    I'm an Errand Boy for Rhythm
    Straighten up and Fly Right

steveinphilly, njwiv, vzok and 5 others like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

I just did a search using Capitol as search term for the thread and I cant find it. :shrug:

15. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Well done thank you Matt!

paulmock, MLutthans and RSteven like this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks!

So, 14 songs that were later re-recorded for Capitol. Considering the fact that the Resonance set has "nearly 200 tracks," this will mean a ton of new (at least to me) songs. Sweet!

Jason W, paulmock and RSteven like this.
  17. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

This will fit a big spot in Nat's catalog that I need to fill. I never got the Mosaic box with the Trio recordings even though its Capitol. This will be the biggest collection of Trio recordings I'll have. That fills a nice spot before my Bear Family boxes etc. Nice looking set too.

paulmock and RSteven like this.
  18. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

For anyone interested in going into greater detail on Nat's early years than the Resonance box has space for, I recommend giving this forthcoming biography a read when it comes out next spring.

Straighten Up and Fly Right

If you enjoyed his similar work on Sinatra, you'll likely appreciate this one as well.

19. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Thanks, Jordan. More fantastic news!

jtaylor and Simon A like this.
  20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Were the pictures from the Box Set cover and the upcoming book taken at the same shoot? I see a similarity. Considering that the author of the book is also closely involved with the Box Set, it would make sense.

21. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

No, the book photo is from a few years later, 1951 or so. Speaking of photos, the book will feature many good ones--several unseen by most-- and not just the standard images you see over and over.

22. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

23. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

JeffreyB likes this.
  24. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

RSteven and JeffreyB like this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Chater 8 NAT KING COLE | THE CLASSIC DECCA RECORDINGS, 1940-’41. The greatest jazz combo of its day is finally captured on wax. [http://bit.ly/2Gk4Hk5]

On November 1, 2019, Resonance Records is releasing NAT KING COLE — HITTIN’ THE RAMP: THE EARLY YEARS (1936-1943), which will be the most comprehensive collection of Nat’s pre-Capitol Records recordings and transcriptions that has ever been produced. As part of the ramp up to the release of this set (which contains seven CDs or 10LPs and over 180 tracks), we are taking a closer look here at Nat’s early years, starting with his birth in Montgomery and childhood and early musical experience in Chicago.

Word had reached Decca Records about Nat’s original number, “Gone with the Draft,” and the label signed the Trio to a short-term contract with the main objective of recording that song. Nat, Oscar, and Wes would make a total of 16 sides for Decca over two years, recording in Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York. These Decca sides are the first time that most listeners had the opportunity to hear the Trio, even though they were issued on the label’s “Sepia Series,” which meant that they were only available in music stores in African American neighborhoods - white listeners had a hard time finding them, but jazz fans managed to get a hold of them just the same. Nat experimented with minor changes in the Trio’s format: the first date includes a barely audible second guitar (possibly Oscar’s older brother, Johnny Moore) playing rhythm; the first New York session includes drummer Al Spieldock. Cole recorded another formative version of “Sweet Lorraine” for Decca, and “This Will Make You Laugh” is one of his first great solo vocal ballads. Even more than “Gone with the Draft,” his biggest hit for the label was another original, a very basic but very funny 12-bar blues titled “That Ain’t Right,” which went to the top of the “race records” charts two years later and was performed in the 1943 Fox film Stormy Weather by Fats Waller.
    [WRITTEN BY WILL FRIEDWALD]

PRE-ORDER NOW! (Available November 1st)
    Resonance - http://bit.ly/2Gk4Hk5
    Amazon (CD) - https://amzn.to/30BXiV4
    Amazon (LP) - https://amzn.to/2JGrZ68
    Bandcamp - http://bit.ly/2ZwOzCD

[​IMG]