SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "LOVE IS THE THING" (1956) in new multi-channel SACD & 45 RPM LP from Analogue Prods.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Is this the 45rpm lp you are speaking about? If so, how long has been "backordered"? It was pressed at AP, Acoustic Sounds? Didn't see the SACD.
    Went on ebay, 22 pages, only Capitol's.

Nat "King" Cole - Love Is The Thing

[​IMG]

Label:
    Analogue Productions
    Genre:
    Jazz
    Product No.:
    AAPP 824-45
    Availability:
    Back Ordered
    Category:
    45 RPM Vinyl Record

No. of Discs: 2
    Note: 200 Gram

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

$55.00

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I hate auto-correct. Of course, I meant labels.

3. AnalogJ

That's the one.

4. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Would Nat have had a say in how everything sounded, especially his voice quality, levels, etc?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No. That was all Lee Gillette.

McLover, jtaylor and Kkfan like this.
  6. AnalogJ

Steve, why were you asking about dead wax info?

7. Steve Hoffman

None of your friggin' business.

No, sorry, just kidding.

I'm always curious as to how many times this was recut in mono and from WHAT source, since the original tape only showed one recut, in 1957. Every other cut was from another tape. Always wondered what tape it was, since it is not in the vault. Probably some submaster that was stored at a factory or something, or maybe in NYC and lost.

McLover and Kkfan like this.
  8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Do you know what year Capitol changed from the black label to the rainbow, if that's the correct name, label?

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Original USA LP label for This is Sinatra, Volume Two, released March 31, 1958:
    [​IMG]
    Original USA LP label for Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely, released September 8, 1958:
    [​IMG]
    So, at some point between those two releases.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    CBackley, Kkfan, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  10. AnalogJ

Did the info from my black label tell you anything about my pressing? I'm particularly curious as to what that little thing that looks like a hand-drawn cartridge with stylus indicated.

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I know this has been said many, many times but I simply just love this release. I have the SACD and the 45. I also have the DCC and a few early pressings, shhhhh....... :)

Kkfan and ssmith3046 like this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Thank you.

MLutthans likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

See also: Last Frank Sinatra Capitol Gray Label

The rainbow label had a lot to do with the introduction of stereo LP releases by Capitol:

CBackley, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  14. David P. Hill

Here's a reply from AS that I just received today, they never carried the SACD, just only the lp. Was it on another label by chance?

david hill56,
    A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #940279 with the following response:
    Hi there David, and thank you for reaching out!
    I am sorry, I do not have a release date yet for the backordered AAPP 824-45.
    We do not currently offer this title on SACD, however that does not mean that we will not in the future! Are you signed up for our newsletter? This will keep you up to date on all pressings.

All the best,

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please reply to this email.

Cheryl Erives
    Customer Service Supervisor

Acoustic Sounds

15. MLutthans

How do you know they never carried the SACD?

16. David P. Hill

Just accordingly what the sales rep said. That was what I was going by. Do you have one? If you did where did you purchase it?

17. MLutthans

We're talking about the Analogue Productions SACD, right? Yes, I have one. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, and if so, I apologize.) I bought mine on Amazon, but I'm still confused: Did you have some other communication to indicate that Acoustic Sounds NEVER carried the SACD? If find that hard to believe and I don't see in post #489 above where it says they NEVER carried it.

18. Steve Hoffman

Guys, don't make my "bunny" this!

MLutthans likes this.
  19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Until very recently, the Love is the Thing SACD was "limited stock" for $49.99 at Acoustic Sounds, so they definitely carried it.

MLutthans likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

I know they carried it when it came out. I bought the 45rpm, but the SACD was readily available.

21. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

One of the first things I bought after becoming a new member here. I can't believe this thread is 7 years old already; time goes too fast. This and the other Nat King Cole albums on Analogue Productions and Welcome To The Club on Audio Fidelity are still the crown jewels among my music collection. They pop up in the classifieds every now and then and when they don't sell right away I shake my head - do people not know how good these sound? I know these are expensive, so to anyone on the fence about buying, go ahead and pull the trigger. You will not be sorry!

22. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

My apologies if this has already been answered, but does anyone know why the SACD Love is The Thing (and for that matter "Where Did Everyone Go" SACD too) is no longer available though the 45RPM LP releases by Analogue Productions is still in production? All of the other Nat SACDs (Just One of Those Things, St. Louis Blues, etc) by Steve are still available and all the 45RPM releases are still available. Acoustic Sounds seems to be continually repressing them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I didn't catch which ones were available but AP had a big Black Friday Sale and they were 50% off for either the SACD or the 45 RPM. WHAT A DEAL!!!!

CBackley likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Steal..er..still going on :D

25. AnalogJ

Note that there is NO free shipping when you purchase one of the 1/2 price records. They're charging about $18.50 for economy shipping to my northeast U.S. address with 3 records in my cart. Still a good deal, but the record essentially goes from 1/2 off to 1/3rd off.