SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "LOVE IS THE THING" (1956) in new multi-channel SACD & 45 RPM LP from Analogue Prods.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I heard the three channel playback in Denver, Colorado last year and the balance was just perfect.

CBackley likes this.
  2. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I just got this today from Amazon. Holy. Frigging. Crapsticks. This may literally be the best sounding vocal I've ever heard. I mean, it's like he's RIGHT THERE. WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?!?!?!

Seriously, this is about $27 at Amazon right now. There's no reason not to buy it. Bring your lunch to work for a week or two. Buy a few less coffees this month.

Now, when do we get some Sinatra? :D

CBackley likes this.
  3. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

Ha! I agree completely. My favorite cuts: The multi-channel mix of "Stardust" and the mono mix of "When I Fall In Love."

CBackley likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Not in stock :(

5. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

You can still order things from Amazon when they're OOS. LITT is actually in stock right now.

6. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Just got my copy last night and sat down for a listen.

I can review issue in one word: Breathtaking.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

LITT is still out of stock at Amazon. What's going on?

8. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I got mine directly from Acoustic Sounds and had it in a few days. Worth the extra few bucks to get it shipped quickly and incredibly well packed, IMO. I've received CD's from Amazon that were so badly shaken and beaten that the spindle prongs were all broken off and case was busted.

9. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Different takes of "I Thought About Marie" - Stereo vs. Mono

While riding home from work today, I was listening to this album. I was jumping around and settled on "I Thought About Marie" in stereo. Immediately after the song completed, I jumped to the mono version. After a short listen, it jumped out at me that these are actually two different takes. It caught me by surprise at first, but if you listen, you'll can hear it clearly. Nat's phrasing is different in the below two examples. I'm sure there are other differences throughout the song, too. Those two are what I quickly picked up on in the car. Now I'm wondering if there are any other stereo tracks that are different from the mono. Hmm....

0:47 - "but as I look back upon it from a distance"
    2:20 - "and I told her I would see her when"

10. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Nat Cole and Gordon Jenkins on this album are like coffee & cream. Better even than the Sinatra/Jenkins pairings, IMO.

One of these new editions is surely worth shelling out for. :agree:

CBackley likes this.
  11. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

Interesting! I'll have to check this out.

12. Steve Hoffman

The Capitol release of LOVE IS THE THING at the beginning of 1957 made it all the way to #1 on the LP charts. The album (originally entitled "STARDUST") was a million selling album and boosted Nat's popularity greatly.

Gordon Jenkins' composition "I Thought About Marie" was recorded on 12/19/56 in both stereo and mono versions. The master number (for those of you who care) was 16302. Experts recognize that 16300 and 16301, also from the album, were not recorded in stereo, just mono. For years no one knew exactly why until I discovered that there was a problem with the stereo three-track machine and 00 and 01 were recorded in the "binaural" process but had no vocal channel so the reel was destroyed in 1959. The techs were still working on the problem DURING the recording of MARIE an hour later.

So, the mono pick for mastering was take 8. On take 8, the stereo equipment malfunctioned again so they fell back on take 7 instead, therefore the stereo version of MARIE picked for approval was take 7.

They are very close.

Those of you with the VINYL 45 RPM version we did of LOVE IS THE THING can hear some amazingly rare studio banter between the producer and artist during the recording of "I Thought About Marie". Just a little treat from us to you vinyl lovers who bought the 45 RPM version.

CBackley likes this.
  13. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Awesome info, Steve. I do recall that 16300 and 16301 were not recorded in stereo due to faulty equipment, but I didn't know the reason was no vocal channel. That's extremely interesting. I wonder if that malfunctioning stereo machine had anything to do with that dropout at 2:40 on the stereo version. That thing drives me insane. Apileocole will need to update his site to reflect the difference between mono/stereo as he has only 16302-8 noted for that session.

Are there any other differences between mono and stereo takes that you recall?

14. Steve Hoffman

No. That is the only one that I am aware.

It's not a dropout on the song. It's a popped T and the limiter's reaction to it. The ONLY song that had the limiter on it was "I Thought About Marie". After that song was recorded, they wisely removed the limiter from the vocal channel and the other 9 songs were recorded without any compressor at all, either on the vocals or the instruments for the stereo version. The mono version of course used the trusty tubed Capitol compressor, previously used on all Sinatra, Dean and Nat recordings going back to 1949.

CBackley likes this.
  15. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Again, thanks. It's info like this that helps you be one step closer to being if you know what I mean.

16. Steve Hoffman

No prob. I'm amazed that someone (besides me and possibly 3 others) cares about this level of historical detail..

Enjoy the beautiful Capitol 1956 stereo (and glorious mono).

CBackley likes this.
  17. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

That should read being there, even though, certainly, this gentleman's artistry has become part of my every day.

I know the feeling. No one I know understands why I have over 110 Nat Cole CDs. When my wife tells our friends that I put together my media room with the purpose of having a quiet place to listen to Nat Cole, I get very strange looks. I'm very thankful for this board. I don't know of any other place that Cole fans can get together to discuss this stuff and the amount of information shared is a real delight.

CBackley likes this.
  18. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Steve's new mastering of Love Is The Thing is the first Nat King Cole album I ever bought - not counting The Christmas Album. Everything else had been comps. I chose it because I recognized most of the song titles (and because of Steve's great story about buying it all those years ago in a bargain bin - and passing on the "Kung Fu Fighting" 45!)

Reading Steve's (& others) descriptions about how Capitol recorded stereo vs. how they did mono was one thing - but hearing the difference - on this CD - with my own ears for the first time was a real eye-opener! (or ear-opener...)

I have an original CD of The Nat King Cole Story and will most likely replace it with the new one at some point. But I'm not sure what else to get. (I probably won't be able to dedicate the $$ to get them all....)

Dexter

CBackley likes this.
  19. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Dexter, I would definitely try to get all the SACD's that Steve remastered. They probably won't be around too long and once they're gone, they're gone. After Midnight is an incredible album. My vote would be to pick that one up next. Apart from those, you can pick up many regular Capitol CDs on Amazon or ebay quite inexpensively, maybe only a few bucks each depending upon the title.

CBackley likes this.
  20. kagentry

kagentry Forum Resident

I am also digging the new SACDs, and find the stories behind the different mixes and different takes fascinating.

By the way, after a quick count along my shelves I came up with 126 NKC CDs, so you're definitely not alone. :)

(Not that I would go out of my way to mention that number to my wife, mind you.)

CBackley likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

110-126 Nat Cole CD's? What on earth is on most of them? He didn't make that many albums and he died young. Are you talking about CD's that have radio shows, etc. on them as well as his official recordings?

That's a lot of Nat CDs..

CBackley likes this.
  22. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Way to go, coleman

23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Thanks for including this little snippet, Steve. It always makes me smile.

Tom

24. valhalla2704

valhalla2704 Forum Resident

In my opinion Nat "King' Cole - The Greatest Hits DCC GZS 1127 sound superb. Anyway, sound remastered by Steve Hoffman. Superb.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Don't know about anybody else but I find this stuff fascinating. Thanks Steve. Don't stop telling us stuff like this because you think no one cares.