Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song (1960) SACD from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rxcory, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Although there has been no official announcement that I can find, the folks over at CD Universe have listed this SACD release as Audio Fidelity AFZ 225, with an anticipated release date of October 30, 2015. For Nat King Cole fans like myself or anyone who has every enjoyed this timeless classic, this will likely be the single most important release of the year.

Originaly released as The Magic of Christmas with the cover art as pictured below (from apileocole's outstanding Nat King Cole discography site):

[​IMG]

Hopefully I'm not dreaming and we'll get details soon and this release will be out before Christmas. The preliminary CD Universe listing has the reissue title The Christmas Song, so it will be interesting to see which title and cover art will be used.

I have to say this is a dream come true for me. So assuming this preliminary listing is correct, thanks to Steve and Marshal for this one.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

There's actually hope we'll get a truly good-sounding version of this one?????!!! :righton::righton:

.crystalised., clhboa, MMM and 4 others like this.
  3. Mike dk

Mike dk Forum Resident

It's great news! :) Hopefully it will get the Hoffman/Gray treatment!!!

aarsonbet and kenbefound like this.
  4. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

I'd be interested to hear what tapes they'd be using, and if there might be any little goodies on there as a bonus. (Ie - tracks from his 1951 "Christmas Song" EP).

sgb likes this.
  5. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Could be great news for an LP thats well overdue for a proper reissue. This would be great a great addition with all the other issues of NKC from Analogue Productions on SACD.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Interesting choice. I'm game. :)

7. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

If true, an automatic buy for me. Love that voice.

aarsonbet and rxcory like this.
  8. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

seems like just yesterday steve was saying that nat didn't move too many units these days, and that future releases were unlikely to happen.

i guess that, between the AP releases and the recent capitol greatest hits, the numbers may have gone up a bit?

either way, this will be one to really look forward to!

smitquest

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Who else would it be? o_O

10. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Nothing's better than AF's treatment of Nat King Cole. Hopefully, we'll see different layers with the mono, stereo, and 3 channel mixes. And hopefully, the cover art will have full-size (5x5) reproductions of both covers and not just a shrunk down tiny version of the original cover (The Magic of Christmas) artwork.

Actually, "The Christmas Song" (1963) was not just a reissue of "The Magic Of Christmas" (1960). Capitol actually replaced "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" with "The Christmas Song" (recorded for "The Nat King Cole Story" in 1961) for the 1963 reissue.

Hopefully, Audio Fidelity will license ALL the tracks and include both "The Christmas Song" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" as well as both "Adeste Fideles" (which was released on the original album in 1960) and "O' Come All Ye Faithful" (from the same 1960 sessions, but not included on the album. This rarity was first released in 1990).

11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Day one purchase for me. The Magic of Christmas album cover is just precious.

12. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

I guess this is a Christmas Gift from AF to our host.

Great News. My collection of NKC will grow again.

rxcory and Get2Me like this.
  13. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

I'm hoping this is true and for Steve to give it his special touch!

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

When I asked Marshall via e-mail, is it true, if so should I keep it quiet (not wanting to upstage an "official" announcement).
    He said to shout out the news.
    That's enough confirmation for me.

Dave, supermd, kennyluc1 and 6 others like this.
  15. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

A perfect holiday release. I am in!

16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I've been saying for YEARS that this is the ONE reissue I wanted on SACD above all else.

This is my very favorite Christmas album, and I never liked the "remaster" from some years ago. To me that remaster had no "life", the NR sucked all the joy out of the music.

Really looking forward to this one.

17. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

As I recall, a while back, Steve asked which one Nat King Cole album people would love to see remastered & reissued. The Christmas Song/The Magic Of Christmas was one of the top choices, if not THE top choice.

I cannot wait to see what is included...whether it will be a straight reissue of either The Christmas Song or The Magic Of Christmas ..... or whether we will get bonus tracks. I would love to see all 3 released versions of "The Christmas Song" included ... 46 (Trio), 51 & 61 - the evolution of a Christmas Classic!

I also agree that it should have God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen on it. I'd pay a premium price for bonus tracks that include some of his other Christmas material on it.

.crystalised., aarsonbet and rxcory like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this is on the TOP of my Christmas CD wishlist! Cool Yule!

19. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Outstanding! I'm going to buy two. Not sure why. I just am. This is fabulous news!

.crystalised. likes this.
  20. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

:goodie::goodie::goodie: This will be a must-buy for sure. Thank you so much, guys!

21. Clark V Kauffman

While we wait for more details, I thought I'd upload these images that I first posted a few years ago in another thread.

It's a complete set of the 33 1/3 rpm stereo jukebox singles sent out to jukebox-service agencies at the time of the original release of "The Magic Of Christmas." (Note the inclusion of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and the exclusion of "The Christmas Song.")

At the time, Seeburg made a couple of different stereo jukeboxes, such as the Q100 and Q160, that were capable of playing both 33 1/3 and 45 rpm discs. These jukeboxes typically had five stereo 33 1/3 discs featured at the top of the box's vertical header under the banner "Artist Of The Week." Typically, all five discs would be tracks from the same album.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rbichamp, Davidmk5, MMM and 1 other person like this.
  22. Clark V Kauffman

More of the "Magic Of Christmas" stereo singles....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rbichamp, Davidmk5 and aarsonbet like this.
  23. Clark V Kauffman

The last of the "Magic Of Christmas" stereo singles...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

For those who may have missed it in another similar thread, Edith Bergdahl is the maiden name of producer Lee Gillette's wife, and he used that name when he co-arranged these pieces.

.crystalised., The Bish, MMM and 3 others like this.
  25. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I second your suggestions about all three versions of The Christmas Song. Here's hoping there are bonuses.

Simon A, Tom in Houston and aarsonbet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.